The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a doeling that was disbudded really young, but I just noticed some regrowth on both sides. They aren't very big (maybe 1/4- 1/2 inch?) but because of the length I'm not sure whether the iron would fit back over them. Do I disbud her again? Trim them? She is 11 weeks old. Also, they feel pretty soft and moveable. Thanks!

·
14,615 Posts
They can be re burned. Iron does not have to fit. Use the side.
If they are just little flaps you can trim them periodically with hoof trimmers. When you see blood, stop.
I have a Feb doe who I botched on one side. We dont normally disbud but she is an FFA project. She wound up with just a flap but I think it may need a re burn.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Toggs are notoriously horny. I have very few that didn't regrow scurs. I have shown with scurs up to an inch long in ADGA shows and never had a comment from a judge. Most of mine knock them off butting or scratching, they bleed a bit, scab over and then regrow them. I wouldn't re-burn but that's just me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I re burn am I doing it basically like the first time? Copper ring? The one reburn I watched with a friends buckling had clear oozing right afterwards, is that normal?

·
Registered
635 Posts
So if I re burn am I doing it basically like the first time? Copper ring? The one reburn I watched with a friends buckling had clear oozing right afterwards, is that normal?
I've seen that. It's lymph fluid and no I wouldn't call it normal. Over burnt IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts