Horn growing back

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nesluopetan, Feb 20, 2010.

1. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    All my babies have had their horns removed or burned off ( whatever you call it ) however my pigmy had it kind of grow back. It's only about 1" long but it's really sharp and when they heat butt each other it makes the top of my other pigmy goats head bleed a little. It doesn't seem to affect him but I know it has to hurt. Is there anything I can do besides burning it off again? It's just on one side. Do they make a cream or any other techniques to remove it?

I am heading to my farm store in about 3 hours to buy all the goodies and minerals I Need.. so I am hoping they make something I can use on his horn.. I have a huge list of stuff I am going to buy so what's one more thing? lol... I need to buy fencing to put around my trees.. dang goats are skinning my tree like a potato.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well they have a cauterizing paste- though everything i hear is terrible about it. it BURNS and if gotten in their eye or onto another goat could do some damage,safest way is to re-burn with the disbudder.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Had this happen with 2 of mine.... my one the vet had to reburn, which was not fun......and the second one, the vet was able to use one of those wire saws (don't know what the right name for it is) and cut it off because it was loose and not attached....vet took the end off, but he did tell me it most likely will grow back....he said if so than every year when we do vac's he can trim it if need be.

I have heard awful things about the horn cream!

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    They will break it off when playing... they don't even seem to notice. I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you just give it a good tug... scurs will come right off. Do NOT buy the paste!!! it can cause blindness and extreme irritation.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You have been given good advice , I too will also say DO NOT USE THE DISBUDDING PASTE! This is an acid that causes ALOT more harm than good.
    If this scur is solidly attached like a horn would be, there is also the choice of banding it by using an elastrator band at the base you cut off the blood supply and it falls off.