The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hair Eye Goat Human body Fawn

My one Boer, Nyx, has been scratching her left side with her horn. She's done that off and on for awhile, figured if I had a horn, I'd be scratching, too! I just put some of the Durevet on both of them on 11 November - after I noticed more nibbling with some horn scratching. Since then not as much nibbling and I didn't think as much horn scratching.

Yesterday I noticed that where she's been scratching on the left side has a line of hair missing now. Her sister is fine, haven't seen any similar issues. Both are eating, drinking, playing, going on daily walks - no other issues or concerns.

Last copper bolus was on 7 August. Vet was out in June or so to give shots, with no issues then, either.

Since it hadn't been that long since I used the Durevet, I put some of the DE on her. I know some swear by it and others hate it, but I figured it was a rather unobtrusive/noninvasive step.

I looked at a couple different sections of hair and did not see any bugs or anything that looked like dead ones or their poop. Her skin looked healthy, it was not red, scabby, or open. I think I put the DE on before I took the picture, so the small white dots are from that.

Now it could have been like this before and the way the hair was laying, I just didn't see it. And since it's not been that long ago, I'm thinking I should just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse, bigger, or any actual skin is opened. Anyone see anything I may be missing or need to do? I think I'm more worried about hair loss and it being bad weather than anything else, since she's bright and healthy otherwise.

View attachment 215973
Liver Fawn Tail Fur clothing Snout
Goat Fence Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

Brown Grey Natural material Wood Fur

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
If nothing is visible anywhere....
It’s been awfully dry lately so it could be just itchy dry skin. Try some Nustock on it. My Lily had been quite itchy (she’s prone to dry skin) and Ive been giving her treats of oats, corn meal, molasses and coconut oil mixed together into small balls and she’s been less itchy. The coconut oils good for skin and she loves the treats. 😉

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the weather has been up in the 60s and then drops 20+ degrees, some rain, then dry. I do have Nustock and they seem to respond well to it. I'll put some of that on her and see how it goes.

What kind of oats is it? From the feed store or grocery store? She's pickier than her sister, who will eat anything. Nyx eats around it. They love animal crackers, so if I can, I try to hide things among them. But Sam's Club (instore and online) are out of the big 5 lb tubs. Need to run to the local grocery store and see if they have some. I try to give more fruit and veggies - apples and bananas - but like to have something in my pocket for when they are extra good!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I just use Quaker Oats from the grocery. HEB ( my grocery)is out of Animal Crackers too! 😡 I just make these when I’m out of other treats. Sometimes I‘ll use peanut butter in them. Depends what I have on hand lol.
Another treat I give are the Manna Pro apple nuggets for horses , my goats can’t get enough and they have a lot of great minerals and vitamins in them. The nice thing is they don’t crumble in your pocket 😉

Do you feed kelp?

edit: spelling oops

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have zinc pills here, I'll see if I can get some in her, thanks for the tip!

I've seen those horse treats, that's interesting they like them, I'll have to keep an eye out on them, too.

I went to the local grocery store for the animal crackers and they had about 5 bags, was only going to get 1 - 2.99 a bag vs 6.50 for 5 lbs at Sam's! Then I thought, no, get 2 cause I don't want to be out again. I'll check Walmart later this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts