The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We waited just a bit too long to disbud our kids, so they have horns. We are going to dehorn (surgically) once they are a year old, but I have a question for registration.

Because the ADGA form says Dehorned or Horned, I need to know if I should put dehorned for them since I know I will dehorn them or if I can put horned and change it later? Tell me yalls opinion?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You have to put the current description of the animal. You then need to change it later. BUT as you cant show a horned animal at any ADGA sanctioned show, you might as well wait on paper work.

And for the de horning... If you have never see it done or had it done I really suggest you dont do it. Even when it goes perfectly its a terrible thing to witness. And then there is months of trying to keep the gaping holes that run down into the sines cavity clean and free of infection. And you are still 90% likely to get scurs of some sort. So just make sure you are ready for whats to come and whatever you do, dont do it in the summer time.

·
1,524 Posts
Just how big are the horns now? I wasn't able to get the last Lamancha buckling done on time, so he was done after the horns were pretty good sized. They just barely fit into the disbudder, but it worked and his head looks pretty good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never been through the banding process and I have no one to help me with it. The kids are almost 14 weeks now, and the horns are already solid. I want to show the doeling next year. We are gonna get it done this winter once they are a year old. I can't have any other goats. All I have are the mother and these two babies. I am 15. My mom won't let me get anymore. This doeling is all I have because her mother just can't be a show goat.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Can you get some pictures posted of her? Maybe we can give you some goods and bads about her and then see if she will be able to compete in a show ring. Also a pick of the dam and her udder might be good too. In the end it maybe more cost effective to trade up for a better animal. Unless of course she is, as with most of us, your baby and then you will just need to breed up. In any event, if you can, post some pics. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts