The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quinoa tore part of her horn off, looks like the top half inch of it, and the whole outer layer. My brother found her with blood down her face, but she's not freaking out, in shock or lethargic. Still bright eyed, jumping on things, eating and I took her by her mom so she could have a little nurse.
I got it cleaned off with water and tried to shave around it, but my clippers needed to be charged, so I just did the water and flour to stop the bleeding. I didn't want to get Hydrogen Peroxide in her eyes, but I can do that if it won't hurt her?
What else can I give her? I don't have any Banamine, Antibiotics or Blu-Kote, but I can order some from the vet, or have a vet come if I have to. HELP!

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
She'll be fine. Get the bleeding stopped. Don't use Peroxide, it kills good cells as well as bad. Mild iodine or diluted vinegar would be better. If you leave it be her horn sheath will regrow and her horns will even back up in a few months.
Keep the flies off it until it closes up.

It looks terrible when they do this but, there is really little chance she'll bleed to death.

·
14,615 Posts
Though it looks really awful, she will be fine. As Goathiker said, it will even out in a few months.
I agree, dont risk peroxide.

No that's not a huge amount of blood. You can put just about anything on it; corn starch, blood stop, flour, even cobwebs.
I'd say dont use any more vinegar.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Now that it's clean just smash your powder into it and leave it when the bleeding slows. The powder will make a fake scab until a real one can grow.

Bean does this a lot and he always looks like I cut the top of his head off with all the blood.

·
8,394 Posts
My buck knocked a scur off one day- he has a black and white striped face- the white was all red- Holy Smokes! I was sure he would bleed to death!
But, I pulled the rest of the horn scur off with channel lock pliers, (he did holler at that) put the blood stop on and he was fine. He sure didn't
bang his head for a few days. That scur has never come back! Like on a person, head wounds usually look worse than they are!

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
Same thing happened to my kiko doeling about 4 months ago. We used bloodstop, bluekote, and taped bandages to her head for compression, and to keep her from hitting it on anything. It was healed over nicely within 3 days time. It looks gross, but heals quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts