The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does, her name is Dottie, broke a horn when she was little. I didn't buy her until this time last year and the lady I bought her from said that she's not sure how it happened either. She is 3 years old now. Now the horn is growing into her skin on the back of her neck. I know it needs to be sawed off. So my question is: is this something that the vet will have to do, or can I do this here at home? And if I can, how and what do I need to do it?
Hat Working animal Wood Fawn Fence

Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Dog breed Grass

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,302 Posts
Is it just the tip that is growing into her or is it a problem being so close to her head? If it is just the tip you can use a wire saw to saw it off. I do this all the time with my bucks' scurs. If it is only the tip it shouldn't bleed terribly but you need to have blood stop powder. I like to use wonder dust. And I use these: https://www.amazon.com/NOVSIX-Survi...ild=1&keywords=wire+saw&qid=1605632318&sr=8-5
If the whole thing needs to be removed DO NOT use this method without cauterizing it. There are tons of blood vessels in horns and it will bleed PROFUSLY.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well depending on how much I could stand a goat with 1 horn, I would be tempted cut just enough off and then band the horn so I wouldn’t have to worry about it again. It will most likely keep growing this way no matter where you cut the horn.
If you are absolutely 100% against having a 1 horned goat and would rather try and take the chance the horn would grow more normal I would cut it way down and leave a inch or 2. The longer you keep the horn, the more often you will have to cut it again. If you just take the tip you will probably have to do it again in a year.
For cutting, honestly, I just get big loppers and cut the horn off. We tried the wire saw before, that thing was a joke and as soon as it hit blood it wouldn’t cut any more. We did the saw and it was better but still hard and having a goat, let’s be real, in pain, doesn’t make it overly safe to saw threw and IMO is longer pain. Those loppers it is literally cut and done. Just make sure if you go this way you have someone strong to do it.

·
8,394 Posts
Horse hoof clippers (nippers) work great. They can take the tips off and gradually cut until you see a drop of blood, stop. Whatever you decide, probably should be done quickly. It will cause pain and eventually grow into the skull.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Were you able to get the end of this snipped off today? I really would act fast. Even if you want to do a more complete horn removal later, I would just get an inch snipped off with pruning garden loppers or horse hoof nippers right away.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Working animal Road surface Collar Fawn Snout

Ok I took her to the vet this morning! They sawed it off at the hairline. So everything should be ok now.

·
8,394 Posts
I have a unicorn doe too! Oberhasli. I was disbudding her when my disbudder (electric) suddenly started smoking and burst into flames! So, by the time I could afford a new one- her horn was too big. So, my little "one horn" will be a milker and never a show goat. Darn it.

Upon inspection after the excitement was over- either a mouse or something chewed the darn wires. With the entire world at their feet, they chose to get into MY grain room, in a metal cabinet and chew MY cord on MY disbudder. Why??? :ahh:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a unicorn doe too! Oberhasli. I was disbudding her when my disbudder (electric) suddenly started smoking and burst into flames! So, by the time I could afford a new one- her horn was too big. So, my little "one horn" will be a milker and never a show goat. Darn it.

Upon inspection after the excitement was over- either a mouse or something chewed the darn wires. With the entire world at their feet, they chose to get into MY grain room, in a metal cabinet and chew MY cord on MY disbudder. Why??? :ahh:
Lol!! We have bad problems with mice too. I make sure to keep everything off the ground or stored inside. Or they WILL chew everything!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts