Horn nibbling!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WhiteFeatherFarms, Jul 15, 2017.

1. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hello, I have a couple of questions...The urgent one is that my 4 month old fainting goat whether is chewing on his sister's horns, is this normal?? Yesterday I noticed her horn looked like she had rammed something & broken off the tip (no bleeding). I called my vet this morning & had my Fiancé pick up an antibiotic to give her to be sure she doesn't get any infection. Then when he got home, he noticed her brother chewing on the other one!! So now I'm thinking he caused the other horn issue too. They HATE, I mean, hate, to be apart!! Is this my only option? & does anyone have advice on getting him to stop?

My other question is that we were looking at getting 2 more, I was going to get a male (to breed my female next year) & another male to be his pal, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll get a male & a female & put the girls together in one area & boys together in another. How do I go about introducing them & are there things that will help them become acquainted & be friends?
    TIA,
    Kristin

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    What are they getting for minerals?

If the horn isn't bleeding then there is no possibility of infection and antibiotics aren't necessary.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree.

You can try Tabasco or something goats hate, but safe on the horn tips, where it is being chewed.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. PB_Nubians

PB_Nubians New Member

Jan 17, 2017
    OHIO
    Like was said by others if they are not bleeding then there is no problem.

Maybe if your lucky they will eat the horns down even farther... Unless they are free range and need them for protection I have never seen the use in a horned animal. I know a lot of people like to see them. Just another opportunity for someone to get hurt in my opinion.
    Good luck and enjoy!

5. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Could be anxiety/boredom or a tooth/teething issue (they start to get adult teeth coming in at about 16 months old) causing him to chew on her horns...or a mineral imbalance...Do they have access to loose goat minerals? You can try adding a little ground kelp to their food or give them each a dose of Replamin. Does he have other "chewy" stuff around? course hay or some tree branches to chew on? At 4 months they start experimenting with their environment and food choices. If he is low on calcium and other minerals or even salt,
    he may be trying to get them from her horns.

hboothe likes this.
  6. hboothe

hboothe New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Artzkat brought up the only suggestion that came to mind for me; is that animal needing something in its diet it's not getting? I put out Purina Goat Mineral for the goats, Purina Sheep Mineral for the sheep and mixed goats and sheep. The sheep and goats seem to like the Sheep Mineral, but the goats don't seem to care to eat the Goat Mineral. It has a higher salt content, IIRC, which may be a factor. Regardless, I "top dress" the goat feed with the Goat mineral to try to drive intake. I feed my registered goats daily, regardless of grazing/browsing available to them to try to keep them in the vital nutrients they need; I've had a few "weak kids" born on my place (I'm new to this since Sept 2016) and wonder if it's a selenium deficiency. The point is, you may have to entice the animals to eat what you think they need.

Of course, they may need nothing and maybe he's just got some weird teething issue. I've not see that before, though (again, I'm "new").

FWIW. YMMV. EIEIO.

--HC