The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I went out to do evening chores tonight and didn't notice too much out of place. I was getting ready to milk my girl Comet (Oberhasli) and as I turned to move her to the milk stancion, I noticed one of her horns was gone!!! She has scurs from when she was disbudded as a kid. The horn that broke off was the same one that broke when she was younger as well. The break seems to have happened right at the base of her skull and there is a little horn growing (it's about 2 inches). Now, there was blood....but not puddles. She was very alert and ready to eat. I disinfected to wound (which upset her more than the would its self I think!) and carried on with my chores as usual. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never heard of goats losing their horns but this was such a clean break that it seems that's what happened! I'll post pictures tomorrow as it was too dark to get any this evening. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Sounds like she has scurs and it broke off. They will grow and then she will head butt with someone and they will break off. Not a big deal. You can leave it alone or disinfecting/blukote it will be fine. Nothing more you need to do.

·
1,524 Posts
My bucks are forever losing scurs. Usually there's only a small amount of blood. They knock them off rubbing against a tree, getting it hung up on a fence, when they spar....etc

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Jeter's scurs bother him. When they get about an inch and a half long, he will butt the barn all until they break off.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,086 Posts
I have some scurs here too. One of my bucks files his down by rubbing himself bald, lol! My does aren't bothered by theirs, so I trim them with hoof trimmers if they start curling. I had one doe knock hers off once, I just disinfected it, and it was fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts