Horn problems

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Duchesse, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a nice buck who does not have horns. I have searched high and low and cannot find a disbudded wether. I did find a young wether with horns. He's a too old to be disbudded. Should I leave my buck alone and keep looking? I'm afraid the wether will hurt my buck.

2. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I personally would not run horned stock with hornless stock. I have had friends who have had animals requiring sutures or major surgery from the damaged causes by the horned animal. Also, depending on the kind of fence you are using makes a difference too. I have seen goats with their horns caught in the fence and others beating on the goat in the fence. I would never dehorn an adult animal either.
    Sue

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I received a rescue that had horns and she was 3. All my others are disbudded. Immediatly upon receiving her, she got her head stuck in the fence 3 times within an hour, and the other goats were beating the poo out of her.

I decided to band her horns. That was the first few days of October, and I will NEVER do that again!!!! I am still having issues with her.

I would keep searching. What area do you live, as I hava a few disbudded wethers that I am trying to rehome!

Thanks
    Al

4. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks for your offer but I live too far from you, I'm in NY. I'm going to keep looking.

5. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I agree that if you can find a disbudded wether it would be the best, but I think companionship is better than none. Especially getting a young boy, he will be the one getting beat up on and his horns probably won't really matter, and since bucks are often more agressive, horns could help him hold his own. Fencing is something to consider too, though. I hope you can find a nice little wether to be your buck's buddy soon :)

6. Janine

Janine New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Yes, my doe kept getting her head stuck in the fence, too. I ended up taping a piece of branch to her head for a few days - until it fell off. The other goats kept looking at her funny!! :ROFL: She must have learned something, because now she doesn't get her head stuck in the fence anymore!!!

[​IMG]

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I run a horned wether with all my disbudded does. HE does great with them, no issues with fences or hurting anyone.

I have had horned with disbudded through out the years with no issues.

I would check out the wethers personality, Jasper my wether is very docile.

8. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I have horned bucks with polled bucks and they do fine. I refuse to disbud so I just breed for polled goats. I also have horned does and polled does who run together, again they do fine. Its more about the goats personality than wether or not they are horned or polled.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have banded several sets of horns successfully, however most were pygmy or under one year. I did do a buck that had a very large scur, he was about two years old and the scur was about two and half inches in diameter. You just gotta keep up on it replace bands weekly and get the bands down far enough and keeo them there. This time of year is best for banding because you don;t have to worry about flys so much.
    But i agree thats its much easier to have a whether that just is disbudded. This time of year its hard to find kids. There are a lot of nigerians being born but if your looking at a full sized buck that probably won't work.
    Depending on where your located we may be able to find something though. I will have babies soon. And i know of someone that is getting rid of three whethers a three year old thats a special needs goat, he needs regular maintaenance on his feet, like weekly or he starts walking on his knees. A just turned two year old alpine and a july fourth alpine kid.
    beth

10. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    What kind of buck do you have? And what kind of whether were you looking at? I had three Pygmy does and a Nubian doe. One of the Pygmys had horns, and it was one of the worst mistakes I made not getting her early enought to get disbudded. All three of the goats picked apart my Nubian, especially the one with horns. I would not think that if you maybe had a Pygmy and were considering getting a dairy goat with horns it would not be a problem at all.

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
  12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have all horned goats. I would not at all worry about a wether beating up a buck. I do not care if that wether has horns or not. Those buck get big.

13. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your input. At least I can make a more informed decision.

This buck is 4 months old. The horned wether is about 2 months old. I'm considering getting the wether and seeing how they get along. I've been looking at the elastrators. I may have to dehorn the wether myself.

I also found a woman with two young bucklings. (9 weeks). They are not wethered or disbudded. If I wanted one of them she may be able to get them banded/wethered but I would have to accept them with the horns. It seems my search continues.

Isn't it late in the game to band/wether these bucklings?

What about the burdizzo? (I hope I spelled this right)

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have waited to whether bucks for up to three months of age. It all depends on how big their parts are. I have never used a burdizzo.
    AS for the horns how big are they? I have used a disbudding iron on horned kids that have horns up to two inches tall. You just take the goat tip off and use the cattle tip. You have to hold it there a few more seconds and sometimes you have to do it two or three times witha day or two in between but it does work sometimes if you do it right.
    I would prefere not to have a horned animal in with a non horned animal, because even though the buck may be bigger and beat up more on the whether you never know when a well aimed horn will conect witha belly. I also find that when my bucks fight they atand shoulder to shoulder and go for the bellies. The belly has no protection against a horn.
    beth