The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My male pygmy was debudded before I got him. However in the past year he has grown a couple of odd shaped horns. They are only about an inch tall off of his head. Wile I was petting him today I noticed that one of his nubs has split leaving a "flake" of horn that is loose and off to the side of the main horn nub. It feels like it is very loose and about the size of a large toenail. Should I yank it or leave it alone. I have plenty of blue kote on hand. This is my first year with goats and I have been able to find a lot of answers to my many questions on these forums and online, however I haven't found a solution to this one. Thanks for all you help in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Those are scurs... if he is an intact buck, scurs can grow heavy... if he's a wether, they may not grow heavy but would be able to be wiggled off. You can either leave them be or twist them off but be aware that there could be a significant amount of blood.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Don't pull it off or cut it or anything. If you leave it, it will fall off in its own time. When/if it does, spray it with your Blue kote and it should be fine :)

·
14,615 Posts
You can take hoof trimmers to it. Trim small bits at a time, stop when you see blood. Go back a few weeks later if it needs to be done again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts