The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We have an older doe (unsure of precise age, but we've had her for 5 years and she was at least a few years old when we got her). She was disbudded as a kid, but one side didn't take so she has always had a single unicorn horn/scur that grew sideways and was about 6 inches long. This past winter she got her horn caught in the feeder and ripped the horn cap off. What was left was an inch or two nub/core that was basically an open wound. It bled like crazy at first, then on and off for a few weeks.

We have kept her in a separate paddock with her daughter since then so it could heal. All of our other goats have horns and we did not want her to re-injure herself while playing with our other does. We tried to reintroduce her a few months later, but she got knocked on the head and it immediately started bleeding again. So we waited some more... It's been about 8+ months now and the horn looks, for the most part, like it did before she injured it. It hasn't reached the full size of what it was pre-injury but seemed as structurally sound as it was before.

Sooo we went ahead and tried to reintroduce her again today. I monitored as the goats began to work out their hierarchy (aka bang eachother on the head). And after 10-15 minutes I noticed a little bit of blood at the back base of her horn. I'm concerned the horn cap is going to rip off again so I took her out immediately and put her back in the separate paddock. I'm not sure what to do at this point... She's one of our favorite does so I don't want to sell her, but she has been eating less, acting depressed, and lost weight while separated. I give her grain every day, alfalfa, and loose minerals, but she just doesn't eat as much as she used to.

Sorry for the very long post! Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions on how to strengthen or protect the horn? I hate the idea of having it removed but is that a possibility too? She's always been one of our top does and I hate seeing her like this. I know she misses being around the other the does. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thank you

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
That’s just what scurs do. They fall off, they bleed, they grow back, lather rinse repeat.

I would assume her eating less is from a separate issue, either parasites - or, is she all alone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she's with her daughter. We did a fecal and wormed her about a month ago and she also gets a weekly herbal worm formula. She had a mild load of strongyles but nothing extreme. Pellets and eyelids look normal.

I guess it's just odd because the first 5-8 years of her life the scur never fell off. I don't really want to lather rinse repeat because it was such a bloody mess that takes forever to heal.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Does it seem to bother her when it comes off? My bucks repeatedly knock scurs off, and by the end of breeding season they usually have pretty flat heads. I was worried about one of mine going in to rut this year as his scur was curling around and getting to the point of needing to trim it. Two days later he bashed it off; they’ve been bashing heads enough that he’s pretty flat now. There is some blood but it doesn’t seem to bother them. I’d go off how she’s acting. They’re going to bash heads when she is reintroduced. When I separate my does for even a few days (post kidding) there are always re-entry sparring, sometimes quite intense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard to say since it only happened that once. But there was a ton of blood the first couple days. Of course, when we found her she was just walking around the pasture covered in blood like nothing happened. I had a buck years back that did the same thing, but the scur was smaller and always came off at the base. It was a little bloody, but not like this. With her, just the cap popped off, leaving this inch or so long nubby fleshy core that you could tell was very sensitive for her. It took months for it to completely scab over and for me to able to touch it without her reacting. I'm sure things would settle down after she was reintegrated for a bit, I just would like to avoid this happening again if at all possible. As you said, the re-entry sparring can be quite intense and she is not one to back down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts