Horns Chipping?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sara, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Indy's horns are like chipping and or flaking. And it started out on her darker horn and it was just a small spot and now it's both horns and it's flaking off and chipping. In layers sort of like a crossiant(sp?). Anyways, does any one know what could have caused it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    my goats' horns do that too and I think it is from them growing. Also when they but things they may flake. Get some baby oil gel and put it on her horns once a week or as needed and it should help.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ouch that looks painful. I really don't have an answer but I will look into it.

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would wrap them if it gets too bad

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Alright, and it's cold so I was worried about her losing heat through them. D:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My youngest, Angel, has light colored horns and hers are chipping ...She is healthy in every way possible so I attributed it to her horns growing...she is 4 1/2 months old nigi/pygmy. Tilly also has light colored horns and she is almost 5 years old...hers will chip and flake too....mostly because she uses them to rub up and down on the barn wall or fence posts. I wouldn't worry about heat loss unless she seems cold to you...or if you see bleeding.

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    She doesn't look cold, but she was also wet today. I think she stood out in the rain -eye roll-

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I think just putting baby oil on them and maybe wrap them if you feel they may chip more. My doeling's horns are doing it too and she doesn't headbutt anything. It is because they are growing and it is just like our skin when we are pregnant it stretches, horns can't stretch when they grow so they shed the outer layer to allow them to grow. I posted this on GW and it is a very good question.

9. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It's really part of the growing process, ours chip all the time when they are kids.