The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Minerals are available. What causes this? He is a 3 month old Oberhasli. Not nuetered yet. Will have to band him here next week. Anyone want a Ober buckling. LOL I will sell him. I live in S. Oregon

·
Banned
849 Posts
I remember Cuzco's horns did that too when he was the same age as your fella. It looked to me like a young goats' horn buds are different from the "adult" horn material that grows in underneath. I thought Cuzco's horns were falling apart and I was a bit worried for a while. But eventually he rubbed them down to a point and they've looked quite normal ever since.

Here's a photo of Cuzco when he was three months old. You can see how rough his horns looked. It looked like there was a sheath over the horns that was breaking down and rubbing off. They looked quite normal a couple of months later.
View attachment 1655

Here's another photo of Cuzco's horns a few weeks later. You can see he has that peeling, broken-off look that your goat has.
View attachment 1656

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
this is a normal growing process, no need to worry. Horns will be smooth in a few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts