The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for some advice. I have a goat that is acting sick right now. Her temp is 101.5, but she got wet in rain today and is shivering.

Her horns were recently banded because she severely injured my dog, and the horns are in the process of falling off so she is uncomfortable.

I have been giving her kids tylenol for the pain, but I also have antibiotics. She has also lost weight and isn't eating much grain or hay.

Should I give her penicillin, if so, how many ml's for the injection? What else can I do to help her? Please help me ASAP, she is not looking good.

·
730 Posts
id dry her off real good with a towel.. and warm her up.. Maybe give some vit B complex and see what happens..I wouldn't give antibiotics just yet..
Prayers sent for your girl! Best of luck!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Poor girl, Temp is good but keep a watch for it to drop..she is at the low end of normal....How do the horn beds look? any infection? I would give her Adult aspirin instead of Tylenol, which is not good for goat...
Pen G is an option if her horn bed doesn't look good...1 cc per 20# daily for 5-7 days..Sub Q ..be sure to draw back on the plunger ..if you see blood, re adjust and try again..do not inject in vein..
I would also give her B complex for appitite and energy...offer green leaves to help her "want" to eat..

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
For better relief for pain,,,Banamine is a good short term choice...she can have 1 cc per 100# once a day for three days..this might help her over this hump...it is RX so you need to ask your vet for it..

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Glad she is eating...Im sure her head hurts..baby aspirin is fine : ) tylanol and Ibuprofen should be not be used in goats

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked on her, and I think what happened is my genius husband insisted we let her out with the rest of the goats this morning because she seemed sad, she is not the friendliest goat and likes to head butt the others. When Iheard her screaming I went running and she was fighting with one of the others, and I think she was just in shock from the pain she incurred while fighting and that might be why she was shaking? ?

She is no logner shaking and is loving the new bale of hay. lol. This is the first time we have ever banded a goats horns so we are really unsure about what to expect, but one of her horns is already crooked so I am hoping it falls off ASAP.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Yes..that would certainly cause pain! : ) glad she is settled down...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely, her horns took 1 week to come off, but I need to add in that her horns weren't too large. She is a very small goat, less than 50 pounds. You need to make sure to use at minimum 2 bands, and I advise you cut a groove on each side of the horns so that the bands stay in place. Don't cut too deep, and use asprin before you put the bands on because once they realize the discomfort, they will scream for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My last doe that i banded horns on shivered and did a lot of teeth grinding just before they came off. I felt awful for her but it has been a very wise choice for her and everyone, including her, is much happier now that those horns are off.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Do you think banding an adult goats horns would work as fast/at all? I have stronger stuff than aspirin, so I should be able to get it done cleanly with out her feeling it. She is deadly with her horns and I don't plan to show her. I'd like to take her horns off.
I'll be waiting for a picture :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Little bits, we had to band an adults horns because she was wicked with them. Her horns were about 1 inch or slightly more in diameter. Do this when the flies are dormant and once the horns fall off then pack the sinus cavity with some swat and within about 2-3 days the cavity will close. We have never had anyone shiver or act in pain at all after banding the horns. Some get a little spooky when the horn starts to fall off, especially if it is hanging on by a thread, until it falls off. I have no problem banding scurs, in fact I have one that needs to be done now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts