The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Nigerian billy that’s about 5 yrs old. When he was younger he kept getting his head stuck in the fence so we clamped a small pipe to his horns so he couldn’t get his head through the fence. Eventually he was able to get the clamps loosened up and the pipe fell off. He was stilL getting his head through but at that point his horns were growing crooked so we didn’t put the pipe back on. Couple of weeks ago my dad found him hanging from the fence so we had to do something about his horns. We researched and decided we would try to band them. He’s very skittish since we castrated him, go figure. We got him out of the herd to band him and noticed that his horns were cracking and had some holes in them. Not where they grow from the head but further up. We decided to try and cut them off where the holes were and put the bands on. I had ahold of his horns and he just went nuts and the horns just snapped off, right at his skull and was just hanging by some hair. There was no blood but there was like a one inch core sticking up. We put the antiseptic (blu-kote) all around and up the shaft (what was left). He wasn’t in any pain and in fact he acted like he felt better. This morning he came out prancing when the rest of them came out. The horns (which I have) look like they were dead and cracked at the skull. I believe they would have snapped off on their own eventually.
My question is, will his horns grow back, is that what is protruding and not the core. I’m attaching the horns but I don’t want to mess with him any more to get a pic of his head. The dark part at the base of the horns is where we put the antiseptic when the horns snapped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Yes the part that is remaining at his head is the live horn or "core".

Yes, a horn sheath will grow over the core in time, but they will never reach the size or shape of the original horns. It will just be smaller and likely misshapen horns.

How long were the bands on before the horns snapped off?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had just put them on right before they snapped. So does part of the core become the horn or does the horn covering grow separately around the core? If they grow back misshaped then we are right back where we were. Can we band the core?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I suspect that the horns were somewhat killed by the previous clamp application, otherwise there would have been a lot of blood when they broke off and the remaining live core would have been VERY VERY sensitive.

The horns will be much much smaller when the horn sheath grows back, not anywhere near the original. The sheath will grown around the core, the core still remains a separate part. The new horns may be small enough that getting his head caught might not be an issue. But even so, it will take years for them to be big enough to catch again I suspect.

During the banding process, the core is killed and prevent future horn re-growth as the core provides the blood supply.

I definitely definitely definitely would not band the horns/scurs as is. Whatever feeling is left in those cores will be incredibly painful. When he grows a solid sheath over both sides, you can probably band them then.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this crazy billy has split one of the cores and got it bleeding. It has stopped but it must be itching cause he keeps scratching it with his back legs. That must have been how he split it. How long does it take for the horn to form around the core or for a protective cover to form. He’s still eating drinking runny with the pack.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you said you did not band his horns you just tied a pipe on his horns by some methoud which caused the hornes to start dieing ? Now by pulling & his horns have pulled off? I would think he will need a cover or a vet to finish banding? Just did not under stand the method you used to secure the pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts