Horns??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Aug 8, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Id noticed a while ago that it looked like my Lamancha was re-growing horns on one side,and today I was playing with the goats,and petted her,and it fell off in my hand,its about the size of my thumb nail. Is it caused by not being properly dehorned? :? They shouldnt grow back should they? Im not very happy with how she was taken care of before I got her... :sigh:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes they get small little bits of horn growth called scurs. They can be wiggled and/or cut off. I usualy wiggle the thin scurs and eventually they fall off. Sometimes they grow back sometimes they dont.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It may grow back, but it may not. Sometimes they'll grow a little bit back and they rub on the fence etc. and it will fall off. Sometimes when they get dehorned...the "dehorners" don't do it correctly or don't burn off every little bit. We have our vet do it and they always seem to grow a little bit back. Unfortunately we don't have any experience breeders to dehorn ours so our vet is the only option. Good luck!

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Depending on the scur it mat fall of or keep growing but it's not a major problem.My market westher ad one and it didn't affect him.

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,hopefully they dont grow back then.

and does anyone know why she might always walk in little circles? she's done that since I got her,and I thought it was probably because she'd never been out of the barn until I got her but she still does that,and she doesnt run/play very often either. :? She eats/drinks good,and has minerals. She also had been coughing since I got her,and sometimes had a snotty nose,so we had the vet out,but he said she looked fine,except that he thought she may have had lung worms,so we treated her for that,but it didnt seem to make a difference. She hasnt been coughing for a while though,so thats good. Now Im not sure if its a good idea to breed her or not,Id like to but I dont know if its the best for her. I have to donate her first doeling back to the program anyway,so it'd be good to do that now,so that the year after I could hopefully keep one myself. :sigh:

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I have 1 doe that I bought that was disbudded and I just noticed about a week ago she has scurs.
    I hate scurs with a passion. This is one reason I don't disbud. To me if you can't do it right why do it at all. Especially when they end up growing parts of the horn back that could turn out to be harmful if it has blood vessels in it when it falls off.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Why are you concerned to breed her? Sorry I'm easily confuse.LOL! If her coughing has stopped and she is large enough I don't see a problem.As to the walking in circles... I have no idea.Sorry I'm not much help.

8. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I just didnt know if I should or not.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Walking in circles??? I have no idea! Does she just pace and look fixated (sp) on circling? That's odd. Does she have an equilibrium issue?

I don't think it would be a problem to breed her at all.

10. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    No,she just walks in little circles,or walks around me in circles rubbing on my legs. She walks some to but usually not for more than around 7-8 ft before going in another circle. Whats equilibrium?

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I guess you would describe it as the balancing act we all do as we walk,run,etc. Have you ever had a head cold that causes you to be off balance? It's messing with your equilibrium. Do goats get menengeal worm? Could it be polio? :scratch:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes goats can get menengeal worm....and the cirlcling does remind you of polio...only if she's basically resting her head on her shoulder as she circles, maybe to be on the safe side and it won't hurt her give her some b-complex...the added thiamine may help if it is a light form of polio