Horns?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OhCee, Mar 22, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Do you keep your goats with horns? Why/Why not?

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

All of my babies will be keeping their horns. One they are a natural AC unit of the goats. Two they can be showin with them since they are boers so then I have no need to go threw the work of dehorning. Lastly I am kinda a chicken and hate to cause pain.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I prefer my goats to have horns because for one, it comes naturally and for 2, I like the way they look. I have onlty 2 "bald" goats and one is "naturally" hornless and the other was disbudded before I bought him. Any kids born here keep their horns unless they are registered nigies or the "pet" owners request disbuds, I won't do the burning myself I take them to a friend to be burned.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to be shown all dairy breeds must be disbudded.
    I like goats with horns but my dad would rather i not have any goats with horns on the property.

Now since I raise registered ND show goats I disbud everyone anyway

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am with ...RPC...and liz....The horns are a radiator in winter and cooler in summer...and it makes them purty.... also....try grabbing a goat without horns or a collar...and try to hold them....HeHe..... :laugh:

Really.... it all depends on ....each ones preference.... :wink: :thumb:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Boer breeder here, I love horns on goats, they look good on goats, but I cant imagine many dairy goats w/horns

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
  8. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Thanks everyone. And thanks Epona! I looked...

My feeling is to leave them on my unregistered stock... only disbud my registered Nigies. Everyone else can keep them :) Moving to Montana, they'll have a use for horns in winter and summer, looks like!

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I HATE HORNS! I've been gashed stabbed bruised and bashed by horns, had horns broken and goats get stuck with horns... mostly on accident. they aren't safe, especially when children/hornless goats are around. plus I live in a rather hot climate, and i've never once had a goat have issues with regualting body temp. IMO better safe than sorry

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I had the same idea, i got two dehorned does, one has bad scurs... my registered buck is disbudded but has horns coming in anyway (and fast) so I'll have to band him. I figure I can band the registered ones' horns, but with how nice our keepers are... I don't see the horns being a problem. And if they become a problem, I can band them later. We don't have kids, just Tim and I (both on the larger side of humans lol) and we are raising our keepers ourselves, with tons of attention and love. the most they do is put their front hooves up on us to get closer to our hanging hands to make us pet them! I don't think they know what their horns are for... and if they never see any goats use their horns, and are lovied up, I'm HOPING they will just be passive and nice with them...

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In the 10 years I've had goats with horns, I've never had one purposly use their horns on me! I've been in the way though when one would go for the dog and have been bruised, respect for the fact they have horns and being "smarter" than they are is extremely helpful when it comes to accidents.

12. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I prefer no horns. I haven't been butted myself (yet) but I see how they 'play' with each other. I had one doe with horns. When I got her last summer, they told me this guy had said he'd take all the babies from the 2009 kidding, but he didn't want them dehorned (They normally disbudded them) All the babies but one (mine) were bucks and he changed his mind. So they were stuck with a bunch of horned goats at a petting zoo, and were selling them all.

She will be one year old next month. After much contemplation, I finally decided to have her dehorned about a week ago at the vets. I was concerned that she would catch her horns on someone else's collar, or on the fence, or one of my kids/nieces/nephews. She came thru the surgery with flying colors.

Just for comparison, disbudding is $27 at the vets, her surgery was $75. It was worth it to me, but it should have been done early on imo. She's a little skittish around her head right now, (understandable) i hope once it heals up a bit, she will relax again.

Personally i think i will get the iron and do it myself with the new kids. Anyone live in upstate NY who wants to show me how - either on their goats or my babies when they arrive? I watched some videos, but i like 'hands on' much better. I am not too squeamish, i was in the pre-vet program at Cornell and had to do all sorts of minor 'surgeries' like castration, tail docking, ear clipping, etc. (without anethesia btw, they didn't believe in it when i went thru there 20+ years ago.) I think for dehorning the cows we used the paste, i don't remember using an iron.

13. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I think horns are very pretty on goats, but with that being said I dont like horns. Ive had a buck chase me with his horns, and get my legs and bruise me up. Ive had that same buck ram my baby buck into the wall with his horns so hard I thought he had hurt him. Ive also had does that with horns and they used them. I have kids and neices and nephews that visit and love the goats and I just cant take that chance here. So no horns here unless its scurs.

Also I have ND and show so they cant have them.

14. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We love the horns on our goats, they come in very useful as well. We have registered ND and MM's and do not dehorn unless we know we are selling the kids.

So far we have had no issues, they do use them on each other but that is just part of herd politics. As far as kids go, we have our neices and nephews out all the time, the oldest 15 and the youngest 5. They are taught to respect those horns and to always be paying attention, even the 5yr old follows this with no problems. We have never had a accident concerning the human kids and the goat horns.

We each have our reasons or keeping or not and unless you plan to show, then it really is a personal preference.

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    All our Boers have horns. The Nubian herd queen does not. All the girls are pretty laid back. They use their horns for self back scratches & even use somebody else's horns to scratch between their own.
    The only time I've been bruised up is at feeding time in their excitement for food when I wasnt fast enough to get out of the way, it has never been intentional.
    Once I had a disbudded Nub who kept getting her head stuck in the hayrack. :doh:

16. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I prefer hornless, I show dairy goats and they can't have them.

17. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Our property was once a cattle operation. Lots of field fence. Early on in our "career" we had horned goats. After finding the 2nd goat with head stuck and completely exhausted we made the decision to disbud at 4 days old.
    Our goats can wander around 105 acres. They are not always in view. I do not want to find one strangled to death or one that was stuck and eaten by a coyote. We cannot afford to install goat fencing around the property.
    Of everything we deal with from raising goats disbudding is by far the hardest thing for me to do.
    4H and FFA wethers need to be hornless in our area as well. But horns do make a convenient handle. No doubt about that.

18. trailriding2dressage

trailriding2dressage Member

Mar 25, 2010
    All of our goats have been and will be disbudded.
    We just like it this way...we feel safer around them, knowing they can't poke us or a child if one came to visit, also they can't hurt our dogs, the buck (when in with the does) can't damage the udder, they have less a chance of getting there head caught and stuck somewhere.... (I think they look better)

Just like pasturized milk or not, bottle feeding or not, horns or no horns, these are the amjor debates among goat people.

19. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    We leave the horns on our goats because they are cashmere goats. As Lori has said in other posts, and probably this one (I haven't looked through all of the messages but she is extremely knowledgeable) if she has posted, the horns act as a way to release heat for the goats. I've never had any problems with horns either. I get the occasional bump on accident around feeding time when they are swarming me, but they wouldn't ever use their horns aggresively. :laugh:
    I do watch my 3 year old nephew around them in case they accidently bump him with their horns when they move their head when he pets them, but other than that I trust the does and wethers around him.

Sammy Wester
    Lakota Creek Ranch
    Colorado
    http://lakotacreekranch.webs.com

20. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I like horns on goats ...they are great handles when you need to move one
    out of the way :laugh: I would not have a goat without horns as it is their right to have them so why cut them off.