The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
How long do u think it would take ?
Man I worked on a cousin's adult doe for nearly 7 months. Different bands, constant watching. I suggested gouging/reburn but she didn't like that idea.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I worked on a cousin's adult doe for nearly 7 months. Different bands, constant watching. I suggested gouging/reburn but she didn't like that idea.
Really that long, my brother has 3 pygmys prob 5-7 years old. And the neighbor had to cut the fence the other day to save it. When I banded my bucks scures I notched them with my hoof trimmers first then one band in the notch followed by electrical tape then another band closer to his head.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My mini nubian doe took 3 months. My meat buck has horns and decided getting stuck in fence was a grand idea so i solved the issue by duct taping a piece of pipe across his horns. Problem solved and he gets to keep his horns, but he does look really stupid, like a goat with motorcycle handlebars on his head.

·
Registered
285 Posts
WarPony:

Did he look a little like this? This just happens to be LittleBock's profile pic on this forum ;). We let this little fence lovin' doe wear her 'headgear' for several months. When we removed it......well...let's just say, she hasn't had her head stuck in the fence since.
Oops I take that back, she did get stuck like twice in 3 years, as opposed to several times a day before the 'headgear'!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
WarPony:

Did he look a little like this? This just happens to be LittleBock's profile pic on this forum ;). We let this little fence lovin' doe wear her 'headgear' for several months. When we removed it......well...let's just say, she hasn't had her head stuck in the fence since.
Oops I take that back, she did get stuck like twice in 3 years, as opposed to several times a day before the 'headgear'!!
close. lol.

I figure in 4 to 6 months he will have enough length and tip width to his horns that he won't need the handlebars.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,120 Posts
It depends on how mature the horns are. You would want to notch them and get the bands as close to the head as possible.

·
Registered
285 Posts
close. lol.

I figure in 4 to 6 months he will have enough length and tip width to his horns that he won't need the handlebars.
That's about how long our "Honey" wore hers. Her horns never really got very big. She can still get them through the fence......she just chooses not to! :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
After the horns fall off will they grown back?
The younger goats i banded have had NO regrowth at all. My older doe has not been banded long enough for me to know for sure but even if they grow back at this age they grow really slowly and they will be blunt tipped so much less dangerous.

this is my doeling that was done a year ago, picture taken just recently.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts