horrible mamma cow, now stuck with 1 month old calf with possible cocci

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Sylvester the calf has a really bad mamma. luckily another heifer took him in, but now i am certain he has cocci and isn't growing as much as he should be.

I have bottle feeding arranged, and were gonna round him up in the morning,
    but what is cow corid dosage?

I have tolt, but not nearly enough for a cow. the vet is running a fecal. he'll get scour bolus as well and ill make sure he has fluids.

If hes anemic ill do red cell. whats the dosage for that on cows as well.

if i have anymore questions ill ask in morning. Thank yall! @Sfgwife ?

2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Since the vet is involved as the vet. ;). I do not know the cattle dosages. The vet should be able to tell you if the calf does have a bad cocci load from the fecal. I would also ask about ecoli. The scour halt is really only for ecoli based bacteria and not cocci. So it may not stop the scouring if it is cocci.

Also... are you sure the calf is nursing really well? I ask this because a friend had a similar situation. His grown whiney daughter was bottling the calf but he kept slipping through the fence. Another cow did allow him to nurse when her calf would but he was not getting enough. I saw him a month later and was like wth put him up so he cannot get out and bottle him. She tried makin excuses and i told her she could be a grown up and feed this calf like it should be fed or he would go home with us that day and come back when weaned. She did it cause i was not so nice and in a week that calf looked so much better... even she and her dad made comments on how well he was growin and filling out in just a week. I say this because if he is not eating well then this could happen again for you. Stress from being hungry cause cause that immune system to be low. So your calf really needs to be well fed. If the calf is gettin the nips from behind all the time and not from the side of the cow it is probably not getting enough. That just means it is sneaking nips and not getting a good full tum because the cow has not truly accepted it as her own. If she has truly accepted it she will let it nurse when it wants to and not just when her calf nurses plus when it drinks from beside her she sees it as one of hers.

I would also do probios on the calf too. It will help it make its own immunities better. Also at a month old keep out water, hay and give it some sweet feed to nibble just like you would a goat kid. If your space allows and the calf will willinly come for a bottle let it on grass as well after the scouring has stopped. If it will not willingly come for the bottle keep it in a pen that you can catch it easily in for bottles for a bit.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    That should be correct on the dose. I use the powder but the powder is correct on there so I would say the liquid would be good. You can also talk to your vet about getting some sulfa pills. Albon I believe is what they are called but don’t totally quote me it has been YEARS since I’ve used. It might be easier to use a balling gun and shove a pill down then get the corid down, then again bottle calf’s are totally trusting so you might be able to just put the corid mixture in a bottle (not with milk in it) and he might suck it down.
    I have honestly never used red cell on a cow so I’m not totally sure on that one.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    thank yall! hes not gettin much milk right now, only when the oher heifers calf is drinking he can sneak behind.

I have a pen to put him in and im going to mix 1/2 goats milk, 1/2 whole cows milk from the store for him to drink.
    I was gonna leaveout claf manna for him but i also have a bag of goat sweet feed.

Attached Files:

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok, i either saw uterus boluses or rumen boluses at the feed store... But if they have the rumen ones i will pick those up lol!
    i will definiley give probios!

So he will nurse from his mamma, but she leaves him and doesn't feed him regularly, and so he has to drink from the other mammas. She just started this about a week ago... She has started running from him, not letting him drink at all. (no mastitis either)

7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Oh. Dont leave out the pellet until scouring stop. Sorry i was tired and did not put that in last night. Also. Not goat feed.. calf feed. Different formulations of feed. He needs a calf specific one.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I knew not to leave pellets out yet ;) i was tired too lol
    ok, I will pick up the sweet feed. Any specific ones you recommend from TSC? I think the feed store has its own cattle feed mix. I'll see if I can find the ingredients

9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    We don’t use tsc for much so i do not know. Purina foods are usually good. I saw recently someone asking about tsc brand goat feed. Other were sayin it was bunk... so i dont know if i would try their calf brand. I do buy purina for one of my does from there but that is about all.

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    okkkk... we caught him. his mamma was ready to kill us, this is the first time she cared about him lol! We got him a scour bolus and as much milk as he would swallow. he's drank about a gallon of water and nibbled on some hay. Also he got few pumps of probios, maybe 10 cc.

Im going to go back out there in an hour or 2 with CoRid and some more milk.i just wanna let him calm down for a little.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I just contacted the vet. Hopefully he can get out here today. He swallowed about 1 pint of goat milk and got his first dose of CoRid. Hes staying well hydrated. hes got real runny scours.

ksalvagno likes this.
  12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Have you tried puttiin him and mama in a close space together alone? Maybe something happened to scare her and maybe putting them in close quarters will help her remember he is hers and he must eat. If you have a chute pt her in it and let him nurse. If you are bottling him... give him pedialyte only for a day or two. That might help with the scouring.

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    We got some electrolytes for him, and results just came back. Strongyle. Vet said not a bad load but since he wasn’t getting fed well out there he went downhill. We’re going to do valbazen 4cc per 100 lbs and give again in 2 weeks. And well finish CoRid as well

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I can’t put calf with mamma because mamma pretty much stopped making milk. She never made much in the first place. Sorry if I left that out, it’s been kind of a blur!

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok, he has been getting a little tamer! He let me walk up to him when he was laying down, but when I grabbed the halter he jumped up and about drug me lol! He's wayyy stronger than he looks! he swallowed maybe 1/2 pint this morning and ate some hay. Got him 10cc probios, along with another good 10cc down my boot LOL
    and ill give him another scour pill and his corid later today. His scours are gettin a little bit of substance to them, meaning they aren't as soupy as they were. hes not fightin us like he was yesterday.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Stop the milk completely for a few days and ONLY give pedialyte to him. The milk is not helping the scours at all. If you can get a shortish leash on the halter, let him fight as you pull him toward you it might help. You wont be jerked quite so much.

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    OK! Ill start that in the mornin :) About 3 days? He is starting to get solid normal cow turds at the end of his poops, but the beginning is still a bit liquid. He is also starting to suck which is nice!

His mamma is probably goin to the slaughter in a few weeks. She has rejected 2 calves and the first one died because she had her at night and didnt feed her... we didnt find them untill about 11:00 and she had already passed.

Hes starting to get sweet! I cant wait until his scours clear up.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    try a day and see how the poops are. Two days max at a time. Yea she would be burger. First calf ok i get it. Second nope.

19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have this stuff
    https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...tfpyBrW4AhdUY_EhzXZXWv9rGCwB3FEUaAlUkEALw_wcB

yeah, she is too worried about getting herself fed that taking care of the calf. That's too bad though, she is real pretty. She's a Full blood Aberdeen Angus, and Sylvester is too. We got rid of his dad because he took 3 YEARS to finally get some calves on the ground, but this year he had 4... and he loves to tear down the fence to fight the neighbors bull
    I dont know what were gonna do with silver, maybe well steer him, but if he fills out we might use him as bull, because the one we have right now is super aggressive. he was a bottle baby as well, but not ours and the owner let him do whatever, and the playin turned aggressive. So hell prolly go to the freezer as well :/

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

The resorb is supposed to be good stuff.