horrible mamma cow, now stuck with 1 month old calf with possible cocci

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i would guess yes, but does the electrolytes need to be warmed up like a bottle?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I do.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok thanks! he took about 1/2 pint this morning, but were about to back out there. Hes eating grass like crazy

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    He is NOT having the electrolyte water... :/ its not too hot or cold, about 100-105 degrees but he is spitting it out and trying to get the nipple out of his mouth... We got him to drink another pint or so, but he spits so much out. Should I go back to milk this evening? or will that just make his scours worse? The scour boluses seem to be helping real well! Plus the probios

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    also, he is kina brown, ill show yall some pictures, so he needs copper. i only have goat copper boluses, but i was wondering if i could give him like 4 2gs (8g)? Just to help with the worms, but his gum color has jumped up a step since the first day!

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    8281B341-4F98-4FED-ABB8-FC7C48DEA57C.jpeg Umm this is in his poop... is this dead worms? I am very worried. He seems to be doing better but I don’t know what that is

D76EDA7F-AA05-4F19-B069-2F40991C4858.jpeg

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    The most he’s drank in one day is 3/4 quart... I tried to get the mobile vet To come out the day we caught him but he’s out of town. I’m thinking I may have to load him up and take him somewhere because that poop situation worries me... I’ll try not to post here anymore until someone answers so I’m not bothering y’all

*edit: could I syringe feed him? all he does is bite down on the nipple, so we have to squeeze it in his mouth until his mouth gets so full he swallows. How do yall get them to take the bottle?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok absolutely disgusting I know, but can you stand putting gloves on and seeing exactly what that chunk is, unless my eyes are off and that is not a chunk of fleshy something. Maybe he ate something and it finally passed and upset his stomach and that is the nasty blood your seeing. Possibly it could be he is straining so much it’s causing blood because of the scours, or he might have some kind of bacterial issue going on, which as we know very possibly might be causing the scours.
    How old is this calf?

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    thank you for answering
    June 14th is his B day.. So 3 months... I have no idea why i put one month old in the title LOL The heat must have been getting to me!

yes absolutely i will. I will have pictures up soon!

thats kind of what I was thinking... What would i do for that? Or should i just take him to the vet.

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well I absolutely would not tell you not to go to a vet, but if it was me and he wasn’t acting like he was dying now I would be grabbing my bottle of neomycin. I’ve had very good luck with treating calf’s, especially older calf’s like him since usually the bacteria is salmonella (and I do mean USUALLY not ALWAYS). But on the down side for you the vet may have something better to give.
    Ok I’m going to go back and read what you’ve been doing milk wise with him

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok question for you. The milk you have been feeding, has it always been goat milk, like from a milk, or are you by any chance feeding replacer, specifically dumor? I’m asking because I fed dumor and one year I had lost some kids to it and their little house was covered in kinda fleshy nasty blood like this. So if you are stop giving it. I had given it for years and it was just one bad bag that cost me 5 lives. The 6th one who was on strike being a bottle kid did survive though, it just took a bit to flush it all out of him

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Feeding goat milk from my does... like fresh from the udder and it heated back up maybe once a day for the middle of the day feeding.

Ok I dissected it, and when I tell you I gagged lol. I’m not a squeamish person either it’s just nasty. It reminded me of placenta

34B72E1C-43A2-40C8-874D-D2D1E735FDE1.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Neomycin is the stuff you put in water right? Comes in a brown bottle? I’ve heard of it but I don’t have any.

There’s supposed to be a hurricane comin in the coast and we’re gonna get some of the backlash from it so I’ll see what I can do vet wise... I wish my mobile vet was in town :( seems like when you need them the most they can’t get out

14. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

What does he have in him other than angus? Hope is not full angus and she is reds and browns like your guy.

The poop. Hmmm i have NO idea! But it does not look like he is really not scouring badly. Just the nasty in there. Jessica could very well be right in that he is raw up inside. Poor lil guy.

You said he is eating a lot of grass.... was he eating this much grass brfore he started scouring? If not that could be the problem in itself. ;). You can see if he will drink gatorade. Our friends calf that was dehydrated liked the fruit punch and orange but would fight like yours for the plain stuff. See if he might drink it from a bowl too. It could be that only his milk is supposed to be in the bottle. But yes you can syringe it in him.

Can you send a pic to your mobile vet? Mine will answer me that way too.

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    He was eating grass in the pasture like crazy!

he should be full Aberdeen Angus... hjs mom and dad are both completely black, but she does get kinda red in the winter

Ok so I will pick it skme Gatorade powder in the morning to add to his water. If he doesn’t take that I’ll syringe it but he is staying hydrated. He will pee for like 2 minutes at a time.

Sorry for all the spelling g mistakes I’m on my phone

16. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok good! No plastic or twine or anything like that. I agree with Sfwife, blowing the picture up it doesn’t look like he really has the scours and if he is eating green grass it’s going to make him a little loose, and for a cow that’s not bad. In the spring time here we don’t dare step near the cows back sides lol
    So was that thing hard? It looks pretty hard. I think that ball was probably blocking him up a bit. Maybe his rumen was off, it might have been the goat milk, it’s a bit more Rich then cows and I know a lot of people who water it down. I don’t but it may not have totally agreed with him, or it sat in there too long and got a little hard and it probably wasn’t fun to pass. This is your boy and your call but I think I would just keep a eye on him. He’s eating, drinking, from the picture he’s not hunched or has dull moment yes. Everything except for that is showing a nice healthy calf.
    The brown I see that a lot in the calf’s. We raise black angus and they are absolutely healthy and usually when they shed that baby hair they are nice and jet black.
    And I’m playing catch up lol so the milk. I’m happy to see you didn’t make fun of my lack of sleep reply :hide: yes milk from a goat not from milk. Man I botched that one lol a lot of people wean bottle calf’s at 3 months old. I usually don’t except for one turd that was down right rude, and he grew the same as the ones that I normally feed for 5-6 months. So don’t totally kill yourself getting milk down him. If it is a absolute joke go just get him the calf manna and good grain and feed him well. Another thing you can try is putting the milk in a bucket and hang it in the fence where he is able to put his head in but can’t poop in it. If he is drinking water like a pro, it will probably be pretty easy to get him to drink out of a bucket. That rude turd loved his bucket way more then his bottles.

Sfgwife likes this.
  17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    no, it was very much like placenta. Which was why I was worried! It doesnt seem like something that should be coming out of him!

Oh goodness no! I was worried out of my mind! I was so grateful you replied! It definitley calmed me down!

Ok, I will. I really didn't want to transport him to the vet. All the stress on him already, plus the storms, I wasn't looking forward.

So do I, I was just wondering if it was a copper thing and I could give him a bolus to help with his worms.

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    yes, but mine is on vacation and i feel kinda bad for bugging him when hes trying to spend time with his family lol! I know it can be hard for vets to not take their work home with them. so i will try and leave him alone until he gets back home ;)

I have another good vet I've been talkin to, but he is closed on Sundays. o

Sfgwife likes this.