horrible mamma cow, now stuck with 1 month old calf with possible cocci

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahaaha yup!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am so proud of him!! He took this mornings bottle without me having to shove it in his mouth!! And she sucked it!! He drank about half of it then unlatched and went to eat hay!! He’s gotten nicer for sure! He seems to trust me now!! He will walk right up to me!! I’m about to go back out and feed him!

Jessica84, ksalvagno and Sfgwife like this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    That is awesome! How is his #2 going?

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Pretty good!! It is ploppy enough to pick up with a poop scoop but some of it is still a bit too soft. I can tell it is a bit raw back there when he goes poo though, poor baby.
    He is grabbbng the nipple and sucking now!!! But the catch is that I have to hold his head up or all he will do is play with it LOL! He is also drinking Gatorade by the gallons and regular water by the gallons. He is voluntarily taking about half of the bottle per day, and he doent act hungry so I let his have what he wants.

he does cough after his bottle sometimes, but my guess is that he aspirated some??
    He love probios as well!

oh! And today was his last day of CoRid!!!!! Yayyyy! He gets valbazen again on the 4th I believe I’ll check again though

Thank y’all for all of your help! I am so blessed to have y’all, really.

ksalvagno and Sfgwife like this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    When he poops he seems to strain to get it all out, even though there is little to nothing left to get out. It seems to tire him out too. Here is a picture
    DB6A7E4F-E64F-4E86-BECC-096BE0B92B23.png
    He’s been straining for maybe 2 days and today he doesn’t seem to want much of anything g to eat. He usually eats 1000 ml of milk a day but this morning he barely wanted anything. I offered him alfalfa which he loves, he barely ate that, and I think it was the grain. I thought his scours were solid enough to start grain yesterday but now I think I threw all of the work in the garbage. So I gave him another scour bolus since his poops used to be firmer than what the picture is and I need to go pick up more probios

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    We just took him to the vet. Poor guy has a 106 fever! Dr said he’s prolly a bit overheated from being in trailer so more like 104. Pastruella pnemonia is what it is. If y’all saw before he has a slight cough and some boogers after he drank. Vet said he’s in great condition and he’s not worried about his dying. He handled a fever better than most calves is what he said.

he said keep him on milk and get him on calf manna and a calf starter grain.
    He gave banamine for fever Naxcel and exenel which I’ve never heard of this before but he said they would work. I trust him hes a great vet!
    Hope he gets to feeling better soon, poor dude

Iluvlilly! and Sfgwife like this.
  7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you took him to the vet. Why both Naxcel and Excenel? They are both the same thing. Naxcel has to be mixed with water and used within 7 days. Excenel can be stored in the cupboard and has a long shelf life.

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Sounds like he has a good hooommaaannn mamma to take care of him. I am glad the vet could help. Hope the booger feels better soon.

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    No idea about the drug choices but he said they work really good on calves. Took his temp it went down to 103.5 but since it was 102 outside I am happy with that temp. Way better than 106.
    He drank more milk and started eating again thank god! Vet said less alfalfa, we need to watch out for stomach ulcers. Also baking soda in bottle which I’ve been doing.
    He also got sprayed down with the hose which he loved, and hopefully that helped cool his temp as well. I have the mobile vet ready to call if I need to, which hopefully I don’t, he seemed almost back to his old self when I finished his bottle. Hopefully he will start feeling better in the morning.

He’s gettin pretty good on the halter so I’ve been lettin him graze as well.

Sfgwife likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok! This morning he seems to be back to his old self! Drank a bunch of milk to make up for not eating yesterday morning. He also ate all his grain and was looking for more. temp is 101.5 this morning and he's drank 2 gallons of water/Gatorade since last night. He's eating hay as well. When the folks get back from town, I will put him on the halter to eat some grass and clean his pen while he's eating. I will keep a super close eye on him for a few days, and make sure his fever doesn't jump back up. I will freeze some cool-whip containers with ice and plop those in his water as well. And hose him down when it gets super hot, around 12:00 -2:00.

he is kinda lonely. Whenever he hears our cows or the neighbor's cows moo, he will moo back. I was thinking about getting him a buddy from the auction barn, but I don't think I have room in the barn for another calf. We were gonna put him in one of the front, smaller pastures, but we think he will go through the fence to get with the other cows, so we are gonna have to figure something out until he is weaned.

Sfgwife likes this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Yeah. Calves need the company they woulda had with momma. Do you think another bottle buddy will be good?

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i would if i had the room :(

13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    He can be very happy with the goats too. ;). Our Hope only had cows since dec last year.. she was almost a year old before we got another cow friend.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok, we aren't doing well at all now :(
    The vet came out last night because his fever was up, so he got some Banamine and some Nuflor for his boogers. This morning we went out, he can barely get up and he's showing neurological symptoms, weak hind legs, staggering etc. So vet came back out and got fecal, we tubed him some electrolytes, and he seems stronger after that. He will call back with results and will be back with some medications in a bit. After we tubed he wanted to eat alfalfa and grass, so that's what we are letting him have. he said we will hold off on milk because it can be harder to digest and since we don't know what the problem is yet, we don't want to mess anything up. at least more than it already is. I'm heartbroken for the little guy
    :(

Sfgwife likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Awwww dangit!

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    We really don't think he is gonna make it :( poor dude. The heat plus the stress of being moved away from the herd and diet change all worked against him. *Sigh* It is so frustrating. I think the vet is coming out again to try one last thing, but if it dont work, i think we will have to say goodbye :(

Sfgwife likes this.
  18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    What could have happened? Even the vet is stumped. I honestly think its the 106-degree temperatures, but its never happened before.

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am so sorry

20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok, so some good news, we went out this morning and he was up and eating hay. He's still grinding his teeth, but he seems stronger than he was yesterday, and not dragging his back feet. Don't get me wrong, he is still weak, but hopefully, we're on the right track. It's just this heat is so hard on them.

Sfgwife likes this.