horrible mamma cow, now stuck with 1 month old calf with possible cocci

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Can you put a fan on him? Or bring him in the house?

21goaties likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope he pulls through for you.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    He has a fan on him. His temp is 103, and the fluid is breaking up in his lungs. You can hear it. I will try and get another nuflor shot to help break it up. We’ll see I guess. He’s gotten a lot stronger since yesterday.

4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    What about some dex too?

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Vet is coming later to give us more banamine and nuflor and Dex :)
    He is definitely stronger, he try’s to bolt when he gets a shot, and we can barely hold onto him! And he’s been eating the crap outta grass! That’s really all he wants is grass and alfalfa and yesterday he drank over 2 quarts of milk!! Vet said not to give that much again, since he isn’t used to it, but he said it’s fine because he needed the protien! That’s the most he’s ever eaten!

We have been also giving b complex paste along with b shots, but he’s been getting paste 5 ish times daily and only one shot because he’s been getting enough of those.
    We also found this stuff called Thera calf and it has animal plasma in it and 18 % protien. The day we thought we were gonna lose him, we tubed that, came out in the morning expecting him to be him to be gone, and he got up and greeted us. So we’ve been tubing 1 quart of that daily and 1/2 -1 quart resorb, he drinks gatorade himself and water, and he gets about 1 pint of milk throughout the day.

So... seeing that the plasma helped him, I was kinda thinking maybe his problem is a low red cell count? I will talk to the vet about it later today, and well think about getting him started on red cell/iron injections. But his gum color has improved greatly since when we first got him.

my very first thought was brain damage from the high temp from the day before. But I think that’s Been ruled out since he’s improving.

Then I thought reaction to nuflor, but vet said it’s rare and he would bE having seizures etc. then I thought Meningeal worm but vet did fecal and it was clean and he sent one to ATM and since he was a student there the lab got it done when he dropped it off and it was negative.
    So we’re still kinda shooting in the dark and just going one day at a time. Trying to keep him hydrated and giving him whatever he wants to eat. I might try some melon this evening since I read that they really like it.
    His does grind his teeth sometimes :/ but the banamine helped that a lot.
    I’m on my phone so I’m sorry if there are spelling mistakes

Sfgwife likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

Glad he is doing better. You can't find Meningeal Worm in a fecal. Plus it has a 60 day incubation period.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I thought they did a special fecal for it?? He sent it to the college. Is it a blood test?
    Vet couldn’t get out tonight. He got called out an an emergency so he should be coming tomorrow!

8. ksalvagno

As far as I knew, you could only confirm Meningeal Worm by spinal tap. Maybe he is looking for something else like giardia.

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Honestly it just sounds like a bad case or pneumonia to me. Everything you are listing off is what I see when we have a calf that comes down with pneumonia. Pneumonia is rough! It’s hard to breath and it just physically hurts to live. Just keep doing what your doing and don’t give up hope! We have had calf’s that I have written off as dead but the nuflor is really a awesome drug and has pulled them out.
    I’m sure it was that 106 day that was the start of it. It’s funny (not really but you know) we always seem to think winter and pneumonia go hand in hand but it’s usually the summer that’s the jerk of the season when it comes to pneumonia.
    But you are doing a great job with him! Keep it up. Fluids are so very important right now, which you are covering, so I personally would just keep doing what your doing. My fingers are crossed for the little guy.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    thanks yall! We had a new calf born today! Sylvester is doing pretty good as well! Me and him played out in the rain yesterday, but he is still weak/ depressed. Poor guy :(
    We were going to give him another shot of nuflor today because his eye boogers, but the vet gave us one of these needles that pops on, not luer lock, and it wasn't on all the way, so when I plunged down it went everywhere except for in him, including in my eye, which burned, so he didnt get that. I hate those kinds of needles with a passion for that exact reason. I ALWAYS have problems with them!

Anyways, i think he is getting better!

Sfgwife likes this.
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok its been a very long time since i last updated, but on Spetember 5th, the day after his last Valbazen deworming, he was doing very well, but he was just.. Depressed. Nothing else was wrong with him. He hadnt had a fever for atleast 3-4 days, his poop was good, he was eating really well, finally starting to eat a whole bottle . But he layed around and slept all day. Mooed for his herd mates, so we figured if he wasnt going to make it, at least let him go out in the sunshine and out in the grass like he should be.

so we put him, his mamma, the new baby and his mom, and another mom whos calf needed weaned, with him in a little pasture (plenty big for all of them, but small enough for us to keep an easy eye on silver.) And I am VERY happy to say, Sylvester is back to a bouncy, running, happy calf!! He drinks from his mamma, and the other mamma (the one with out the baby) lets him drink from her to relieve some pressure. I am trying to give him calf manna and sweet feed everyday, but he is starting to get not as tame, which make me kinda sad, but at least he is happy!! Its a little bit of bitter, lotta bit of sweet LOL!

Thank you guys for all of the help!!! I love yall!:squish:

Sfgwife likes this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Awwww. The birdie is leaving the nest. Its all part of the circle of life. He will become a real part of a herd and he has you to thank for all your love. Its bitter sweet but remember it could easily have turned the other way.
    A big hug for you and what you did for him.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  13. ksalvagno

14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Awwwww that is wonderful! I remember the day that i took Hope’s halter off of her. We were letting them all out in the newly fenced big pasture. My eyes leaked! But then they leaked more for the joy that all of the cows had at the same time. All those tails went out and ear back and they RAN and ran and ran and bellowed and it was amazing! Hope is still my baby girl and comes when called again.... for a lil bit there she was havin no part of the humans lol... but now she loves her some rubs and scratches again. It is wonderful! So maybe he will remember you. ;).

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Please post another picture?

16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Sure! Let me get my phone!

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    DF58F0DC-E914-48AA-BD19-C128629FB659.jpeg BBF46EF7-5953-4740-AF6E-8E54CA4D8D08.jpeg DDF16100-C6CF-4014-8DBA-5C5DAED6DDDB.jpeg 19BD9FDD-439A-45A0-8399-993AD7263594.jpeg
    here is little man!! He still a skinny lil guy, but he’s so much happier!! And he is definitely gaining weight!!

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  18. ksalvagno