The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottle babies, 2 days to 1 week old, getting yellow\green bad smelling scours. On milk replacer, 4-8 ounces per feeding, probiotics fed each feeding as directed by kid breeder. Housed in a barn, in Wisconsin, no vaccines yet, bedded with shavings and straw, 4-5 in a basic cow stantion stall. Some have runny noses. Breeder said to give 1cc of Neomycin Sulfate oral and 1 cc PenG. I did that. Neighbor said give Spectram Sour Halt. So I gave them 1cc of that about 4 hours later. So frustating! Please help before I lose another one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The breeder keeps the does, to raise to milk. I use the same milk replacer as he does (land o lakes cows match, 22 20), in addition he adds NT Concentrate(Neomycin Oxytetracycline powder) and Aspen Probiotics. I did buy Resorb and will feed them that until they seem better. Just wish I knew how to keep them healthy.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
First off I'm not sure why you would be using cows match Land o lakes on goats, as they have a Does Match strictly for goats... You may or may not want to look into that, it just sounds strange to me. I've used the Does Match and the Advantage brand with 4 kids and no problems.. I did put probiotics, and crushes a lactaid pill in the 1st bottle of the day. I would get temps, pepto for the scours.... Also, I would give just straight electrolytes right now no formula.. Their digestive system needs to calm down... If you give any grain, no grain either... I'm no expert but that is what I would start out doing.

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
The breeder is right on what to do. They have ecoli and is a BIG pain to beat. I would take them off the milk and feed only electrolytes on top of what the breeder said to give. Its all about timing and its a fine line on getting to it in time. Have they had colostrom??? I really really hope they did. I give my kids barguard99 at birth to help with scours but I don't know if it would help get them over it or not. For the most part keep up what she said and don't miss the dose age she gave you and when. She sounds like she knows what she is saying.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Sometimes its not just what you are feeding but how much....Stop milk all together and give electrolyes only ( recipe to follow) for 24-36 hours...Weigh each kid and multiply that by 16 to get their weight in ounces, then multiply that by 10% to see how much they should eat PER DAY...then divide that by at least 4 bottles...no baby should ever get more than 16oz in one feeding and even then that could be too much at once...
Breeder said to give 1cc of Neomycin Sulfate oral and 1 cc PenG
Im not sure if you gave the Pen G orally,,but if you did there is no need for both antibiotics..neomycin is a safe for the gut oral antibioitc and Pen or any other kind of Antibiotic other than neomycin should never be given orally...it messes with the gut...
IMO you are giving way too much stuff in their bottle...they dont need it, a bit of probios is ok....I would switch to whole cows milk from the grocery once the scours have stopped...some kids just do not do well on powder replacer...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.Uj97a2SDTL8

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
558 Posts
I agree with happybleats! I have 2 ND goats that I got as bottle babies. I did exactly as she said when one had scours and she did much better!
Electrolytes until scours are gone and then follow the calculated ounces per weight as she stated.
I used whole milk and my girls did great on it!
Good luck and I hope you keep us updated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Janeen128: I did start with does match, when I lost babies on it the breeder said I have to use what he uses. I know it sounds weird, but I I have been in his doeling nursery and he has happy healthy "jumping" baby girls and my barn has the stinky poos! I am feeding electrolites and I will try happybleats recipe, beats buying what I am for 30 hungy little bucks! I did lose one more, and I plan to stick with 1 cc oral Neomycin Sulfate after their 4-8 ounce bottle depending on size. I hope to report no more fatalities :\ please keep the suggestions coming as I am new to this and also an animal lover and I get attached to the little ones. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
take the temp, if high over 103.5 it sounds like you may have shipping fever knocking on your barn door. call the vet and ask for draxxin. if your babies do make it switch to cows milk, i have never had good luck with milk replacer of any kind.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost another one. Interesting on the cows match.., I never would have thought. You have 30 little guys? Yikes, that's a lot of bottle feeding...... Hoping for the best for your herd, and that there is no more fatalities.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
That is alot to look after...Im sorry you lost another one..it is hard..you do get very attached..

I stick by my original post...there is too much going into their little bodies,,, 24-36 hours off milk ...electros only...then slowly back on milk..COWS milk..no neomycin unless they need it...it is a safe oral antibiotic but any antibioitc runs havac in the good bacteria in the gut...they need that good bacteria...I would stop giving it and add probios to the bottle for about 3 days...then milk only...

for your little one drooling...As said, get a temp..most likely getting pneumonia Tylan 200 is a good OTC antibiotic 1 cc per 25# 2 times a day sub Q..
I prefere Nuflor over Draxxon myself which is also RX. Cost alot less...works just as well..for kids I would give 1 cc once a day for 5 days...

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I'm still thinking e coli. I agree with happy bleats....I didn't realize you were giving meds before they needed it. First look up e coli and see if that's what's going on but yellow and nasty smell sure points to it. I would stop meds till it is needed. If you can find it you can give them all a dose of barguard99 its a vac. For ecoli....basically. I have had good luck on some kids with the neomycin some with pen. And some with the scour hault. I think it just depends on the kid and how bad it is. But you need to stop milk and give meds as soon as you see the yellow scours. I have also the same as the others had great luck with whole cows milk. I thought everyone was out of their mind when they said that's what they feed their kids but after I tried it I will now only feed my kids milk out of a goat or the whole milk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts