Horrible neighbors

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by MidnightRavenFarm, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    How do yall deal with ugly neighbors? Sometimes I get so mad I feel like I could explode. How do you get past the anger and just live your life without thinking about the horrible people right next door?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are they harming you or your animals?

3. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Oh man, I can relate! I live next door to a motorcycle track (I was here first). There's two decades worth of absolute loathing, resentment, and fury simmering inside me that I will never be able to let go of. I'm a very laid back person, not much gets me riled, but even thinking about them gets my blood pressure up! Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do. I wish I could say I'd found a way to deal with it! Mostly I ignore them when I can, try to be thankful for the blessings I have, and secretly hope that a meteor takes them all out one day :p

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We live in the woods, off the road with a river as my back property boundary. (I'm in the back of 150 acres). I've lived here on our farm since we rode dinosaurs to school. (Ask my kids) Should be quiet and peaceful. Right? Nope!!! A guy 1/2 mile as the crow flies shoots from 8 am until late afternoon almost every day.

Now we have firearms. Sometimes we plink, not often as ammo is in short supply. I'm all pro 2nd Ammendment, etc. But I'm not into non stop noise of large caliber and those darn exploding targets. Oh, and full auto weapons. The river valley brings all his noise to us.

Yes, I understand horrible, evil jerky neighbors! My only hope is he someday moves back to the city.

5. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    No they aren’t harming us. But their daughter and my son go to school together and apparently don’t get along. So they come banging on our door at 8 o’clock at night to say my son poked their daughter with a marker in class. And then around 10:30 tonight I went to go check on my goats and as I was walking to the barn they were sitting in their yard calling my son names and talking crap about my family. Sometimes the mom gets a wild hair up her butt and will randomly say some not so nice things to my son if he gets too close to their property line. They just seem to love drama and I’m over it

6. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Sometimes they will do the most petty crap just to be annoying. Like park their truck so the headlights are pointing at the kids windows at night. Setting off fireworks at midnight. We usually just ignore them but I can’t handle when someone talks about my kids. He’s 11 and mostly plays in our yard except when he rides his bike. And she’s acting like we have some hooligan running through the streets busting out people’s windows.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ok, so here in South Africa we had neighbors like that. One day, during a really dry winter, and I mean so dry it wasn't even cold, some one walked down the dirt road and dropped a cigarette right on their lawn. They live in a brick house with thatch roofs and we live in container homes.... We help each other here when things happen. They had peeved all their neighbors off. All that was done for them was to call the fire department. Not one person in our farm block helped them. Needless to say, they vacated the property the next day. They have not come back. Yes they lost everything, but if they had treated the neighbors with respect, they would have a home today. Their livestock made it to safety of course.

Moers kiko boars and friesian49 like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately the best you can do is ignore them. Might be fun to set off fireworks at 5am but honestly not worth retaliating. You reap what you sow, more than you sow, later than you sow. The neighbors will eventually reap what they sow, even if you never see it.

HMNS, MadHouse, happybleats and 4 others like this.
  9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    These things can escalate quickly and be quite ugly. The best thing I've found is to be kind, smiling and honorable to the point that they can't feed off of you - no matter what they do - don't react or give them reason to feed the ugliness that is inside of them. Unfortunately, they will soon target someone else if they can't get something from you.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We had the motorcycle track as well.
    We are in exclusive ag area.
    It was dusty, noisy and just plain irritating.

My neighbor went door to door, the whole block to see if they would sign a petition to stop them. They all did.

The motorcycles went over the noise ordinance, which is a heath hazard and messed with the air with dust and our livestock, breathing hazard.
    Our neighbor took it to some elected official, I forgot who it was and they went to the location and found the track was to be over noise regulations. Noise levels were way too high.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/neighbors-noise-faq.html

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would call authorities and file a complaint. High power riffles and firing that much seems odd to me.

The officers will go out there and it may be able to stop them. Depending on what they find.
    They may find, they are doing something illegal or over the top.

Say to the officers, you do not want your name mentioned to the shooters.

There is also shooting ordinances, shooters have to abide by.
    So maybe, they might be told not to shoot that much or?

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I think they (my ignorant neighbors) have a shooting range. (Not zoned, but who has that kind of money to waste on nonstop ammo?).

To the OP, are they renters? (Probably not!). You could maybe have a meeting with the principal and explain their kid is bullying yours.

Bad neighbors sure are a pain.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How old are the kids?

Have you tried calling the authorities to go talk to the neighbors to stop harassing you?

If they are coming onto your property without permission and they have to go through any gates etc, that is trespassing if you have a do not trespass sign up.

is this is city limits or rural?

Get a retraining order to keep them away from knocking on your door, but being a neighbor sharing a fence, makes things harder to keep them away there.

Can you put up a solid fence to block out the neighbor perhaps?

School issues need to be done with the principle. To try to stop things there.

Also, you will have to figure out if your son is doing those things or not and nip it in the bud there, if he is doing it. Maybe apologizing and saying it will never happen again to the neighbor and making your son do this with the girl may help.
    If he truly did not do this, then their daughter is creating issues, which is sad.

If you want security.
    Put up a webcam recorder with audio at your front door.
    Maybe one viewing your back yard area in case they do something illegal back there. Do not face it towards their home or go against privacy laws.

If it cannot be resolved, the talking crap thing, just ignore them, if your son is responding to them, it will escalate with the neighbor.
    Act like they are not there.
    That will get to them more.

Or get a lawyer.

We don't know the whole story, so all we can do is advise.

We are also not attorneys. ;)

14. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    They are renters. We have been talking to the principle for the past two school years and it just continues. The neighbor girl always lies and so does the mother so nothing is ever done. I’m hoping they move away. We had a peaceful little country road until they moved in.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Being 11 years old kids can do things that are not nice to girls. You know how it is, girls have cooties and so do boys.

Setting off fireworks at night is illegal and I believe against noise ordinance, it may also be illegal in your state to have them I don't know.
    If you can video that and call authorities may help stop that with proof and who is doing it.

Headlight thing might go against privacy law, ask the cops. Get it on video.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they are renters, contact their land lord.

Contact Your Neighbor’s Landlord for Help
    If your troublesome neighbor rents from a different landlord, consider contacting that landlord. Depending on where you live, your neighbor’s landlord might have a legal responsibility to take action, especially if it's a serious situation, such as drug dealing. Also, many cities and towns have require landlords to obtain rental licenses, and repeated complaints about tenants at a rental might jeopardize a landlord’s license. Regardless, it’s usually in a landlord’s best interests to quash problematic tenant behavior.

If your complaint falls on deaf ears, you might have to take matters into your own hands. Nuisance laws protect people from activities that interfere with their reasonable use and enjoyment of life or property. As a renter, you are protected by nuisance laws. Depending on the facts of the case and the law where you live, you might be able to file a nuisance lawsuit against both the offensive neighbors and their landlord. A local personal injury or real estate lawyer can help you prepare your case and file a lawsuit.
    https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/...lems-with-neighbors-in-a-rental-property.html

Debra P, happybleats, NDinKY and 2 others like this.
  17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have 1 neighbor I thought was bad...but not near as awful as yours. Sorry. My neighbors have foul mouths and Huge dogs. They put 3 dogs..look like great Dane hound dog mixes in a.small 10 foot tall chain link pen. Built it right next to the fence where my birthing barn is. So every day they.open the pen and 3 dogs run to my fence where the goats are. My LGD goes nuts and trys to attack them through the fence. So I took old 20 ft sections of barn metal..tuned it sideways..and wired 2 pieces on t posts to make a.6ft privacy fence. I don't see them..and their dogs can't see.my kidds.it may not look stylish...but it works.

Debra P, HMNS, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  18. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    There isn’t a noise ordinance out here in the county. They would play loud music all night long and my husband gets up at work at 4 am so after we asked them several times to please turn the music down after ten o’clock and they refused, I called the sheriff and they said there’s nothing they can do.

19. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    He had poked her in the butt with a marker. We told him he is never to touch anyone else especially a girl . We apologized and the teachers were made aware as well. I try to keep them separated at school and on the bus but there’s only so much I can do since I’m not there. But they both like to annoy each other. It’s usually just innocent kid banter and I try to ignore the elementary kid drama and let them work it out as long as they are both acting civil towards each other. But the mom is determined to turn every little tiff into this huge thing and then gets drunk and starts yelling late at night so everyone on this street can here. I try to ignore it as best as I can because I don’t like confrontation or causing issues. But there’s only so much a person can put up with.

20. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    How long is the property line? Can you build a tall privacy fence? Or maybe like Toth said, contact the landlord and maybe they’ll put up a privacy fence.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.