Horrible Urine Scald -- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MellonFriend, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So we are now deep into stinky buck season. My buck, Phantom is dealing with urine scald pretty badly. I tried to stay on top of it this year and last week I washed off his legs with some dawn soap, shaved the back of his leg and up near his armpit, and put generic destin diaper rash cream all over it. I was intending on reapplying said cream tomorrow when I trim hooves, but it seems like it's taken a really bad turn. I don't think it's infected from what I can tell, it just looks really bad. Blistery, brown, greasy grossness. He also has a little near his eye and mouth, but it's no where near as bad. What should I do? It's going to get really cold tonight (high 30s) so I don't feel good about giving him a bath. He's acting completely normal, eating, drinking and of course peeing on himself. IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6312.JPG

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wash with mild soap, then apply this:

15 drops lavender oil in one tablespoon olive oil. If you have any salves with calendula or goldenseal this can be applied as well. Do this daily.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also, after you wash and scrub the area vaseline is wonderful to protect against urine scald..

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. MellonFriend

I did vaseline early on, but it just washed away. Maybe I wasn't applying it often enough. How often would you recommend doing it? And would you recommend that even over the diaper rash cream?

I might try this, I just don't know if I have enough lavender EOs.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    My go-to would be a natural salve, I can get goldenseal or calendula salves at most stores. You can even make your own.

Vaseline would work too, but the salve will prevent infection.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. MellonFriend

Do you think I should shave off the rest of his hair where he sprays it?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you putting the vaseline on thick enough? All vaseline does is help the urine not to stick to the skin.

11. MellonFriend

I really might not be.

I am going to my feed store this afternoon and I'm going to see if they have anything there that's would be some sort of antibiotic ointment or I'll go with something like Nigeriandwarfowner707 said. I'm also going to get as large a thing of vaseline as I can get and slop it on maybe on top of some sort of salve. I plan on washing him off, shaving any areas that are absorbing urine, putting the schmutz on, and then making sure he's not peeing it all off daily and reapplying when he does. That could have been the problem. He's a rather shy guy with me so I was trying to avoid the need to catch him daily, but it seems to have come to that.

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  12. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just be sure the area is clean and dry before the thick layer of salve or Vaseline, otherwise you're actually trapping the moisture and bacteria close to the skin

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    All you can do is what you are doing.

15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I wonder if a layer of nustock or neosporin under the vaseline might help as well? To try and help it heal a lil bit while you keep it coated.

16. WezzieTheGoat

WezzieTheGoat New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Eastford, CT
    Getting him a buck apron might help reduce the amount of urine he sprays on himself.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  17. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Reducing the amount of protein you feed him might help. The higher protein they eat, the more nitrogen/urea ends up in their urine and it is bad for their skin and can even give them pizzle rot. When my buck had it bad last year, we had to wash him about once a week. It was mostly on his mouth, so we couldn't use Vaseline, but every time his skin peeled off, it would heal up again. I swear bucks can't feel pain when they are in rut really bad lol. This year I've cut the alfalfa for the bucks to almost nothing, just some sticks that the does leave at the milking stand every few days, and he looks a lot better than last year.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

This is very interesting. I didn’t know that protein does that. My bucks had it on their legs and noses last year. By coincidence, I also cut their alfalfa down to very little. I hope it makes a difference!
    Thanks!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. MellonFriend

Well unfortunately my bucks are only on grass hay and that's it. (other than water and minerals of course)

He's actually doing better now. When I went to wash him I was really horrified to find that the bumpy scab looking things just rubbed off and were oozing yellow pus under them. But his leg wasn't hot or swelling, and I didn't smell anything off other than the pee smell, so I am pretty sure it wasn't infected. I gently rubbed off all the loose scabs and put Neosporin on the oozy spots. Then I had gotten this stuff, Corona ointment it is ironically called, I put that on next and that kind of absorbed in and then I unloaded probably a third of a large tub of Vaseline to cover it all. Day two and it was looking so much better. I reapplied daily for two days after that and tonight I didn't do anything at all and tomorrow I will reassess. I can't believe the difference. It is amazing. Even 24 hours after the first application it looked a world better. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow because the difference is just incredible.