Horrorific Day . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Well, I went down to do chores this morning, and found one of my kittens almost motionless under the heatlamp. From the look of it . . . .my shitzu had turned the poor creature into a chewtoy.
    The bottom lip was damaged pretty badly, but she is eating/drinking. Her neck is swelling, and I'm about ready to kill my dog.
    I gave her some painkillers so she should be okay.
    BUT I AM SO MAD AT THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm so sorry. That is aweful! :hug: This is kinda gross, but our little shih tzu/ jack russel cross killed and ate part of one of our kittens. It was aweful! :tears:

3. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    tis why i dont have dogs aaand cats

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I've had a german shepherd do that---but her bottom lip . . . .shudders.
    I'll try to explain.... there is no outside damage to the lip, but the inside where the skin connects the lip to the area just under the gums of the bottom teeth....that got torn free.
    It will heal, but she's always going to have a floppy bottom lip.
    :angry: I'm not ashamed to say that when Annie came back to take her chewtoy away from me---I kicked her half way across the barn. :angry:

5. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    ooh wow.
    Poor Kitten.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I'm so sorry ...hope kitty will have a full recovery.... :pray:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know years ago I had a cat get attacked by something I have no idea. My daughter in the 4th grade came running to me with her and she was so upset. Well I took her to one of those Er vets. They wanted like $500.00 to TRY to save her. I could not do it. They gave me some meds and told me GOOD LUCK, she really needs to be here and wrote me this nasty letter and told me that tone of their employees would take her and pay the vet bills. (Sure I would pay the bill she would have to pay, being a employee). Well I brought her home got a basket and put her right next to my bed. I got up every 4 hours and gave her Nutra Drench YEP Nutra Drench. She is fine and we still have her. Try some Nurta Drench, she will not like it at all but I tell you I know that is what saved her.

8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Good thing that you found her when you did! Hope she pulls though for you!

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I had a cattle dog eat a baby goat about two years ago, I couldn't stand to thinkof it and I put the dog down right then and there, I am not sorry. She was a good friend, but killing my babies is not okay, she actually pulled tha baby through the field fencing and she ate it! UGH!! Well, my rule for my dogs is you have to love my goats and barn kitties..They understand and obey the rule!! Don't get me wrong, I am a dog person, I love dogs !! But I don't put up with agressive behavior!!
    I am so sorry for the little kitten!! Do you use Arnica at all?? It is great to incourage healing of tissues.. I use it on everything!! Please let us know how the kitty does!! Lots of love will help her heal!!

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Victoria, I agree. Once a dog bites and/or kills, it needs to be put down because you can never trust that dog again.

11. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    sorry about the kitty
    May St Francis watch over...

i have to disagree about the dog thing
    ok
    for the most part
    once a dog bites they will always bite
    but 'to every rule there is an exception'
    i've had 2 dogs
    1 dal 1 pit
    the dal tried to kill a female dal and hated small boys
    i had him til he passed at age 11 from cancer
    and he never hurt a soul, 2 legged or 4
    the pit i still have
    he is a rescue and has tried to bite my 3 kids and my DH
    now he lives in a house with a little goat that drives him to distraction
    don't get me wrong
    i don't leave him alone with Hope, not even for 2 seconds, but when she runs by him he ignores her or just watches her go
    he doesn't like cats but i've even taught him to leave them alone

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We all have our feelings about it. I rescued the dog and she was a problem to begin with. I tried for over two years to get her straight, but she just wanted to bite.
    I hope you don't think I didn't feel bad for my Cattle Dog. I love all my pets, but it tore me up to no end that she ate that baby..
    I really hope the little kitten gets better!

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    About 4 years ago one of our rescue dogs killed a kitten I was taking care of, made me soo storming mad, because I had saved that kitten from death and she was finally getting better and could start to walk regularly.. my uncle used that dog as target practice though.. even though we decided to keep him.. :sigh:

The only dog we have right now is Izzy, we've never seen her kill anything, but she has played really rough on the cats before.. and chases chickens, and she is pretty obeidiant now.

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    She's feeling better. I will post a picture of her face later. Her breath stinks like a healing woun, so that's good. Her face isn't as swollen, but she's a little warmer than normal, but she's in my lap right now purring. i'm typing with one hand and it's annoying. lol.she's complaining about my twitching. :wink:

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear she is doing better, but she is not out of the woods just yet. Keep a close eye on her and normally the third day is the worst, so beware.
    Now if she is purring that is a great sign.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright~!! glad she is doing better now.... :hug: :)

17. farmgirl

farmgirl New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear about the poor kitten! I certainly hope that she makes a full recovery.
    We get all of our dogs when they are puppies and let them get used to the other animals so they become like part of their pack. The rule was strictly enforced after my dad had to shoot a dog that we had taken in when one of our neighbours moved and had to leave it behind. The dog was great with people, but after it killed one of our baby goats... worse still we had two puppies at the time and a whole bunch of pet rabbits that had run of the farm and the dog was teaching the puppies to kill the rabbits! It was devistating to lose so many precious pets and so close together. We never did manage to get the pups to stop chasing the rabbits though, even after they grew up. Those two have turned out to b the best farm dogs though and we even have them in the house with three cats, a crippled rabbit (which they for some reason realize is family) and 9 parrots.
    I hope that that your dog doesn't give you any more trouble. Please keep us posted with how the kitten is doing?