The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw somewhere on the net someone ridden with there goats. My rescue is a very level headed animal. I do not want him or my goats hurt but I want too try to ridden on the trails with him and a couple of my goats. (Mae Mae and Little Bit to start with). Dose anyone know how I would do this??

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I would only do this for short rides and if the goats actually wanted to follow along. You can try it out with your horse and see if they follow...but if not, I personally don't see a reason to try and force or train them to come along.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
If people can pack with goats you can train them to come along with you when you go riding. I would just go nice and slow paced so the goats don't have to struggle to keep up.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If they are broke to lead, you might try "ponying" them when you ride. Once they get used to that, then go for short rides around your property to see if they will stay with you. If they do, go for longer rides. I would imagine this would work better if the goats were bottle babies since they would be more inclined to stay/follow you than a dam raised goat.

I would strongly suggest that you thoroughly research what kind of predators are in your area, and to have some means to defend them against stray dogs before leaving your property.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I personally can NOT suggest 'ponying' a goat, I can see that goat running under your horse and tangling his legs, being kicked or about a million other things that could go wrong. Not a very good idea.

Likely if your goat is already a well trained pack goat, he'll follow around pretty easy anyway.

I can suggest turning your goats out with your horses to bond. I had a goat out with my horses all the time. everyone would come in from pasture to be fed and worked. If I did not let the goat loose fast enough, My mare would come back to the barn, and walk back out to pasture with the goat. this was a
500 acre pasture by the way.

I can also suggest, as much of a pain in the butt it is, to have someone on the ground lead the goat with someone on the horse. Then eventually work up to letting the goat loose.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
If they already follow you on foot, take them for a few walks with you just leading the horse until they get the idea that they are supposed to go along with the horse. I don't think would not pony them, seems too dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts