Horse lovers----what about your future with horses?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Sonrise Farm, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I know the horse market is crashed . . .but I was just wondering how many of you wanted like to continue a future with your horses: like showing, dressage, jumping, barrel racing, cutting, reining and racing, etc. . .
    I have been struggling with my decision; I always wanted either to breed Arabs or run a racing thoroughbred farm with working animals only, no breeding. I actually wanted to be a jockey; I am afterall, only 5'3, but after a few too many falls I don't think that is right for me either. I want to either train thoroughbreds for the track, run a racing farm, or retrain thoroughbreds as schooling horses.

what about you?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My husband and I just had a conversation about this the other night.

We were going to get another horse for him - but we have decided to hold off until the ol' mare passes. I told him that I will always keep my Paint mare even if we have to move and I have to board her - I will never get rid of her. I do want to do trail competition with her - but my main thing is trail riding for pleasure.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    When I bought Jinah, I told myself I will never sell this mare . . .but we are planning on moving soon and Dad says she may have to go. :sigh: . . .she is such a smart, gentle mare. She deserves alot more than to be a trail horse. As a green-broke 6 year old last year, she was going cross-country at a canter, sliding down ravines and jumping logs! only 6 months under saddle!

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We're not planning on selling anything for a LONG time. We aren't planning on breeding. Next spring we may breed one or two mares for 2010 foals, but that is a BIG MAYBE....it will all depend on the market. If we do we have the facilities and money put aside for the horses IF we don't sell the foals. We're actually getting a new horse tomorrow!! Yay!! I will have to post pics. Anywho...I plan to have horses my entire life...I train, trail ride, rodeo occasionally, and just love to work and be around horses.

Sorry you might have to sell your mare...that sounds tough. Hope you don't though!!

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Man, I don't know what I'd do without my horse now. She's still not completely broke but she and the goats really keep me from going insane. They calm me down so well. We're fixing to move my horse to another friends place where there is no stud colt trying to breed her. :roll: And there's an indoor arena to work with her in so none of us freeze to death. :greengrin:

I plan on for right now, doing rodeo (barrel racing, break away, and poles), and trail riding. Later on when I get more money and what not to be able to do it (hopefully anyways lol) I'm hoping to start a barrel racing horse farm. (like Billy and Holly Etbauer have, by the way they're AWESOME people!)

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    We got 3 mini horses last year...thought we might breed the fillies, but, we've changed our minds. We gelded the colt recently, he's doing great. He's in training now...had his bridle and saddle on him already, he is moving well on the lunge line. So far so good. The fillies are doing...well...not much...eating and loving their "daddy"...that would be Hubby. But, they'll be 3 years old in the spring so they'll learn to lunge and then go on to saddle training. I've never trained a horse to pull a cart...so I may try it just for fun. But, that's what we got them for...fun! :clap:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had thot of getting a mini horse...the cute factor as well as the "free grass cutting" was a big reason why, though I passed on that and just got another doeling..lol

My sister has a "retired" barrel racer that is basically a pasture ornament....Candy is a massive horse and has her own head! No one has ridden her in quite awhile because well, we really don't know how to control her, when she takes off, you hold on til she's ready to stop...or jump off like I did!....she is 16 hands and around 15 years old, sweet horse, my niece grooms her daily but she just doesn't do well with our control...so my sis is hoping to sell her to a good experienced home that can give her what she needs.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    We run a boarding stable in our area and in the past year, the inquiries have really dropped off to ziltch. However we do get calls occasionally from people wanting to just give up their horse to a good home because they can no longer afford to keep it. Unfortunately, these horses are the "lawn ornaments" with little or no formal training, need an experienced rider, haven't had regular farrier services, etc. We put up our own hay, but it isn't an endless supply and we have already acquired enough horses that need more training.

Basically, our future with our horses is to maintain for now and see what happens with the market, but we aren't going to breed for at least the next year. We have an absolutely gorgeous solid black paint mare that throws beautiful tri-colored paints (when bred with an overo). I would love to have a foal from her, but not in the near future.

9. ockeracres

ockeracres New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Newville, PA
    Well mine is on hold right now, due to the baby. But I don't plan on slowing down with them. I have two mares that I was training for barrel racing and other gaming and breakaway roping. My friend has taken over training the one, so I can get right to the shows after I'm allowed to ride again. She doesn't like my Quarter mare and she has three other horses she has to ride, so right now Pokey is a pasture ornament. I do plan on getting another faster/more of a rodeo caliber horse in the future, just no point in it now when I can't ride the two I have. The two girls I have are going to be good, but only for local and NBHA shows. Maybe some small arena rodeos, but the bigger arenas, they'll get smoked. As long as I can afford it, I'll be showing. It helps that we co-own the farm with DH's parents and we do our own hay. We don't have to pay for boarding and all that.

10. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Well my horse is preggers but not a planned baby. A stud got into her pasture last spring and well I ahve a little one on the way. There is no plans of ever getting rid of my Kassie Ann. I might sell the baby but more then likly going to keep the little one. My mare is boarded with my boss and has right now in a field that is 10 arces of grass and well snow and a round bail right now. I also have a mini horse and no plans on him leaven either.