The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I haven't been on this forum for many reasons...extremely busy and extremely SADI wanted to ask any of you...how does people who sell HAY...ALLOW HORSE NETTLE TO BE CUT AND BALED WITH THE HAYI HAD triplets that will turn 4 in February we bought our winter hay, after opening a bale I found berries in the hayI had no idea what they were BUT I wasn't going to give my goats berries that I had no idea what they were, my friend asked the guy we bought the hay from and he just said they were some type of weed! I still sat down before feeding them and picked out tons of stems, berries and leaves. My friend said I was being ridiculous and said if the goats don't like them, they'll leave them behind whatever they were made me get a rash from just handling the bales and I'd have to change my clothes because they were so itchy. Clarece was one of my triplets, and I saw her go into the barn, instead of eating. I sat and watched her, she started vomiting. I got charcoal and started using a syringe to get it down her mouth. She vomited so much I couldn't believe such a small doe could puke that much, gave a banamine shot and BECAUSE THE NIGHT BEFORE THERE WAS A TERRIBLE WIND STORM NO STORES WERE OPEN..I didn't have milk of magnesia! My poor little girl was exhausted and grinding her teeth which I know means she was in pain! Gave another banamine shot and kept her separate so I could check on her. Called our vet first thing in the morning and she told us to come right over. She gave her IV liquids and gave more for me to give her the rest of the day, she also gave her a banamine shot and some type of sponge paste to soak up any toxins left. We thought she was getting better but certainly not herself. The next day I found her hiding in her hut DROOLING AND HER MOUTH WAS OPEN Within 45 minutes I watched the life leave her eyes I screamed bloody MURDER! My goats are rescues but the babies were a wonderful opps. I adore each and every goat! I had to understand WHAT SHE PASSED FROM! It literally took hours upon hours looking on the internet trying to find her exact symptoms! Finally I took a picture of the berries and posted the picture on another Facebook goat site. That's when I found out what was in THE HAY...HORSE NETTLE ‍♀I saw that the toxins build up in her system and bind to the iron in her blood, and that's what killed her she was deprived of OXYGEN HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER BOUGHT HAY WITH DEADLY HORSE NETTLE IN IT!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm really very sorry to hear and read of your experience. That sounds horrible and I wasn't aware of the horse nettle toxicity. I do hope it wasn't hay sold from our farm. I kept some hay this year that got contaminated with horse nettles. My goats do indeed just eat right around it, leaving the berries and thorny stems in the rack. They wouldn't dream of touching it, they are very selective.

Did you have a necropsy done on your dear pet?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost her. Some people don't care and just bale whatever is in the field. I would let him know that his hay killed your goat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really very sorry to hear and read of your experience. That sounds horrible and I wasn't aware of the horse nettle toxicity. I do hope it wasn't hay sold from our farm. I kept some hay this year that got contaminated with horse nettles. My goats do indeed just eat right around it, leaving the berries and thorny stems in the rack. They wouldn't dream of touching it, they are very selective.

Omg...you will end up losing a goat to deadly horse NETTLE! We threw every single bale out! The leaves stems and berries are poisonous to goats, sheep and horses..if I were you I wouldn't use any of it! And that's exactly what my friend said, don't worry about it if they don't like it they'll leave it behind! Because I was pickier every piece out, but he feeds them in the morning and PLEASE look up horse NETTLE poisoning and that's exactly what happened to Clarece. If you love your goats don't chance it...we live in Rhode Island so no I know exactly where we bought it and you bet I'm more than PISSED HE KILLED MY GOAT...MY VET CONFIRMED IT BECAUSE SHE HAD EVERY SYMPTOM

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so sorry you lost her. Some people don't care and just bale whatever is in the field. I would let him know that his hay killed your goat.
Thanks so very much, I'm still mourning the death of CLARECE, I'm literally sick about it because it was so preventable Clarece was one of my triplets

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just not sure horse nettle is typically associated with vomiting. There are so many toxins. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Anything that they eat and they soon start vomiting is usually poisonous plants, we used charcoal to make her vomit up what else was left but it was just too late! Ohh I'm going to have a very angry talk with this guy! HE KILLED MY BABY AND THATS NOT OK WITH ME! I'm so angry that anyone would sell hay with HORSE NETTLE IN IT

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
♥♥♥thank so very much Clarece and all my babies mean the world to me! I still can't get over her death! Only 3 years old and such a character

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Im sooo sorry for your loss. It breaks my heart. Im was not familiar with horse nettle being so toxic. Thankyou for sharing all your information. Thankyou for helping us to save other goats from your diligence and honesty. Its not easy to talk when we lose a goat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Im sooo sorry for your loss. It breaks my heart. Im was not familiar with horse nettle being so toxic. Thankyou for sharing all your information. Thankyou for helping us to save other goats from your diligence and honesty. Its not easy to talk when we lose a goat.
You are so RIGHT! Clarece passed in November and I couldn't talk about it BUT I felt I needed to warn others who love their goats as I do

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

One more thing to think about...horse NETTLE poisoning is something that builds up in the goats system and when they eat enough it definitely will kill your goat or goats! I've had to do the charcoal, banamine shot and milk of magnesia for other plants they've gotten BUT the horse NETTLE builds up as they continue to eat maybe some as they eat their hay...it deadly and never would I chance it! In fact as I say I picked every piece out but my friend said as you said they'll leave it if they don't like it. PLEASE be careful if you love your goats as I do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ohhh bless your heart. Im sooo sorry
I would be angry too. She was a beauty. And you can tell she was a healthy girl.
Thankyou for telling us.
Yes Clarece was definitely a sweet very healthy doeI'm sick with grief that my little CHARACTER is in a BOX ON MY SHELF! WITH EVERY ANIMAL I'VE LOST! Complete healthy until HORSE NETTLE! I couldn't tell the guy until I calmed don't because I would have put my hands around HIS NECK SO IM WAITING UNTIL IM CALMER I have such a funny video of Clarece being the little CHARACTER she was...I've told my husband that after my death I want every cremains of my beloved animals in with me when I'm cremated, because they meant everything to me

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ohhh bless your heart. Im sooo sorry
I would be angry too. She was a beauty. And you can tell she was a healthy girl.
Thankyou for telling us.
And PLEASE beware of who you buy hay from!I also posted the picture of the horse NETTLE...never ever will I FORGET to ask IS THERE ANY POISONOUS PLANTS WHERE YOU CUT YOUR HAY! HORSE NETTLE, MILK WEED, WILD LAUREL ETC...unless its just pure hay FORGET it and move on

1 - 20 of 24 Posts