The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
So glad she's okay! She sure is sweet looking. I just have to ask, is she named after the fairy in the Zelda games?

·
8,066 Posts
Glad she is better! Now, tell the neighbor, no more dumping stuff over the fence! (just kidding).
I was scared to read this entire post, dreading that it might end badly! So glad you (and the mare) had good results!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thought I’d stop by before work real quick and post an update. Navi seems to be almost back to normal. She wasn’t eating great after she got home, and it seemed to me like maybe she was having some throat pain when she swallowed. Called the vet and they got me some Banamine - said she was probably sore from the tubing. She responded very well to the Banamine and ate much better just a little while after her first dose. She had another dose the next day and now she’s off of it and still doing well.

Yay!!!

Ended up all costing around $1600 though. Literally every last penny from our emergency fund, plus my spending money I was gonna get a doeling with. Gah.

But I’d certainly rather that than a dead horse, so I’m pretty happy nonetheless.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Haha, how fun!!

I loved all the Zelda games when I was a kid, and now I’m enjoying playing the new ones with my little girls. We’re so excited for the Breath of the Wild sequel!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh I hope things go well! No, I haven't talked to either lately I've been pretty much exclusively been using Alvarado. I don't have horses anymore just the goats. At least Alvarado does farm calls so that's something.
Hoping your horse is fine and your bill is low!
You have given me great advice the last few weeks and I didnt realize you were in Texas! I live in Austin now, but as a kid lived in Alvarado. The Alvarado vet clinic was and is pretty amazing. They are great folks.

As for a colic situation the OP posted about, first record heart rate, respiration and take temp so you can provide to the vet if asked.

I then have banamine on hand-but only will provide it orally. Given some of mine are mustangs in the process of getting gentled, an IV/IM shot would be kinda tricky lol. I do know others who are comfortable giving it IV (I dont do IV shots in horses myself) and it is the first go-to for a mild colic. It should NEVER EVER EVER be give IM in a horse, as one would give it for goats or sheep, as in horses the tissue irritation can lead to necrosis and really horrific infections-like two foot long surgical incisions trying to keep the wound clean type infections and death.

Usually I know what has caused the colic-like an obvious change in feed/hay or maybe mild dehydration due to travel, so Ill give the banamine orally and keep a close eye on them for the next few hours to see if it sorts itself out. A little walking is fine, but It turns out they dont need to be walked vigorously and for severe colic even laying down is ok, its just vigorous rolling that is really bad.

Now days I have a very good relationship with my vet, so will reach out to him right away with symptoms and get his feedback asap. I havent had to have him come out for colic yet, fingers crossed, knock on wood.

Supposedly there are some really amazing colic prevention supplements around nowdays but I havent looked deeply into any of them. Really glad to hear your little girl bounced back ok, but sorry about the big vet bill. My vet is very funny and often gives me advice via text or phone because he says "One day or another Im going to get all your money, so I dont need to collect today hahaha"

21 - 35 of 35 Posts