Horse people, need a little advice on tack care.

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Crissa, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I couldn't decide where to put this topic, so decided that the Chatter Box would work. :wink:

I was just wondering what you other horse people used to clean your saddles and bridles? I want to use something that works well, but doesn't cost a fortune. Unless of course it lasts forever. :wink:

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    kinda simple, the feed store or saddler should have a range of saddle soaps/leather polish, pick the cheapest, or otherwise get cheap leather polish for shoes :)

I have to say though, I tend to get a slightly more expensive saddle soap, seems like it lasts longer, I dont have to use as much.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would find a tack dealer, don't go to the co op, Farm & Ranch, or Big R. Just go to a tack only dealer and ask what they recommend and then you can go find it on the internet or go into a local store that has it. I don't use anything special, I just get different stuff all the time. But I have to agree with keren, if it's a little more expensive, it tends to hold up better.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I always used Murphy Oil Soap--It's only about $4 a bottle at Walmart and it lasts forever because you dilute it (directions are on the bottle). It's way less expensive than "saddle soap" and it works just as well, if not better than most.

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone, FRF I think I'll try that though, I like cheap. :greengrin: lol

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    But if the leather is really dry and starting to crack, buy yourself a big bottle of leather conditioner and apply it after you wash the leather (after it's dry) The stuff did miracles for a cracked up old saddle I bought to train with. I had to keep slathering it on every day until the leather was soft and pliable again, but it was great afterward.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I ended up getting some Leather New, it's got conditioner in it as well. How do you all clean the silver pieces?

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    On really dry leather, I have always used vegetable shortening and massaged it in with my hands then buffed with a soft cloth...avoiding the stiching, of course. It works like a charm. Basically, oil is oil...they can call it something else and charge more for it but it's pretty much all the same.