Horse Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by NubianLover, Nov 21, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well, one or more of the horses (not sure how many as I wasn't there) stuck their head through the bars of my feed pen. They wound up putting there lips around my goat mineral and pulling it of the pen and eating it. There was only about 1/4 the bag of the Manna Pro minerals left in the bag when they got ahold of it, so I know they didn't get much. My question is, can this make them sick? Is there anything I should watch out for? I am not sure if they stole the minerals this morning or this evening. However, they seem to be acting fine. Nowhere on the bag did I see not to feed it to horses. I just worry.

Thanks! :hug:

2. I had the same thing happen! They ate the chicken feed too! BRATS!!! mine were fine nothing ever happened?? But I don't know if I just got lucky??

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They should be fine. They might get runny poo for a day or two, but they should be fine.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Only "goat thing" I've heard that would hurt a horse is Rumensin, it's a Cocci control med thats put into certain feeds and minerals.
    I'm sure the horse will be fine, if it's not shown any illness at this point, I doubt it will.

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks so much! :hug:
    They seem fine today. All are acting like they normally do.
    Just glad it wasn't a whole bag.

6. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I think he/she will be fine as others have stated. Goat and horse feeds and such have pretty common ingredients. If the bag doesnt have ruminant specific ingredients, there is nothing to worry about. Does the horse have minerals available?

also - I have e-mailed you and thought I pmed you as well, but it turns out I didnt? I was interested to see if you still had your camera for sale in the Equipment section.

7. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    The horses do have minerals. One of my horses, I call him Curious George because he gets into EVERYTHING! lol.

I just sent you a PM back. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner!