The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha :laugh:

Just wanted to share...
the website I do a lot of work for has an on line magazine, and now they've gone advance on it <finally :) >.

Here's a link to an article from the magazine:
http://stridelive.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... ns-in.html
At least 5 of the pics they used are mine :)

If you like horse racing, check out the blog now and then, because the owner is determined to get this project off the ground, and he has a line up of WONDERFUL photographers who are soooo creative they blow me away :)

I'm still working on pics from the World Equestrian Games last year LOL I work on them when I have a chance...I'll add some here when I get a chance to get some uploaded :)

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Horse stuff....the never ending saga continues!

Thanks Katrina!

I am trying to sort pics again...it's time consuming, but fun when I have time to do it!

I uploaded a few more things - these are from the top 30 Jumping competition at the World Equestrian Games - just a few that I've sorted.

BTW, I was using one of the cameras owned by Stride's founder for these
Nikon D300 with a 300mm f2.8 lens <heavy equipment that I had to HANDHOLD because I didn't have a monopod....AHHHHHHH!>

It was really DARK, here's the settings I used:
Shutter Speed: 800
ISO: 2500
300mm
F2.8
Shooting Mode: Manual

BTW, most of these are straight out of the camera. No adjusting light/darkness, and very little cropping...I do add a bit of sharpness but not much...

his expression scared me LOL

Next one is from Germany...they honestly kick butt in jumping!

SUPER HARD shot to get, I had just a few seconds to get far enough back after the previous jump....straddling wires and trying not to plow over volunteers! No editing on shots I did of this jump....

The rest are from earlier in the evening - I used my camera for these -
Canon 40D with my 70-200mm f2.8 lens.
I was shooting against the sun for much of the first round of competition <Stride's founder was shooting and he also had a remote set up, so we were covering all sides...I am used to shooting into the sun....>

Germany

Leading rider from the USA - McLain Ward and his beauty - Sapphire

VERY hard shots from this side because of the sun...glad I don't mind the challenge..LOL

I did get to move around a bit on one of the other sides...whew...

A top rider from Canada :)

Hickstead and Eric Lamaze from Canada. They won individual gold for Jumping, and Hickstead is considered the best Jumper in the world.
Oh--- Eric was riding with a BROKEN LEG!!!! He broke his leg sometime before the World Games and it never healed correctly...after the World Games he had to have surgery to fix it.....!
Not a 'great' pic but it's one of my favorites of them :)

Hickstead has a HUGE 'jump' to him, amazing horse to watch..

Well if you all aren't bored out of your minds with this :laugh: I'll add more tomorrow when I get a chance to work on them more.

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks so much Laura I appreciate it! I'll add more after I get some zzz's :)

AlaskaBoers said:
ok... so my iso was at 1600 and was still getting blurred shots of baby goats. they cant be moving faster than horses! lol

awesome shots
How fast was your shutter speed? Those lil legs are FAST ! I have had a shutter speed of 1200 and still got some blur...fast lil stinkers! :laugh:
The higher you can get your shutter speed the better chance of getting 'stop action' Then adjust your ISO and Fstop accordingly. If your still not sure, switch it over to shutter priority, set the shutter speed around 1200 or higher in good lighting, let the camera set the ISO and fstop. Like what you see? Study what the camera set the ISO and fstop on, and then try the same thing in manual with those settings.
That's what helped me learn :wink:

You have the xti right? Sorry I am sleepy and can't remember which one you said you bought.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts

I have the t1i.
My camera is out in the barn right now (running in from kidding watch! got a doe in labour)

i think my speed now is set on 3200.

what I'm doing right now (in manual) is setting the shutter speed, then just turning the wheel (fstop maybe...i need to check) and getting the lighting looking ok and clicking LOL
the photos above arent edited at all...that my new method. :angel2:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Gosh! I soooo envy you! I would love to live in Kentucky near all those horse stables! (Im only one state below, but it feels thousands of miles away!) I loove jumping so much, and I love your pictures. I quietly (not so quietly) wait for you to post more! xD

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks so much MTJ :) If you ever get a chance to come to the Lexington area..... :)

Katrina - those pics are adorable :) And look great to me. Setting the shutter speed and working around it is fine, I do that all the time. The wheel next to your screen would be the fstop.
Low lighting pics can be tricky, so if you have a shutter speed that is high, getting good exposure for the lighting you are working with, and still getting blur, you may need to manually focus and see if you get better results? I've had this happen, no matter where I have my focus set.
BTW, do you keep your focusing point in the middle? or let your camera decide what should be in focus?
---- when you hit your shutter button half way to focus and you see that little light lighting up, does it light up in the middle or does it vary? IMO it's best to set it to focus in the middle only unless you want a different spot on purpose.

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks Pam :)

I just logged into facebook to see what's up with my amigos and amigas :laugh:
and saw this video posted....please check it out...

It gives info in the very short video about the horse in it -
Clever Allemont
He was born in 1982, was on the triple crown trail before getting injured <triple crown consists of: Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes>.
Anyway, like a lot of horses who are not successful as stallions he slipped off the radar.

His story has been inspirational, and so very heartbreaking. He was in a feedlot.....destined for slaughter :( BUT the man who owned the feedlot had somewhat of a heart I guess, because he did try to help some of the horses find homes.... And it is because of him that Clever Allemont's journey started...It starts with who we call a 'kill buyer', a horse rescue group, an internet forum, and a lot of love :)
Here's his story if anyone wants to read...it's heartbreaking, but again inspirational...
http://windingroadequinerescue.blogspot ... emont.html

He is missing one eye, and found out the spring after he arrived the went deaf...

His first day in his new home....he knew he was 'home' as the horse did in the story of Black Beauty..... And yes, we were all in tears of joy for this guy...

Clever with Kristin and Michael <he is the president and founder of Old Friends>

Clever and Michael in May 2009

April 2010

Isn't he just too cute?

I think his eyes while full of light...still tell the story of his hardships...

I just had to take a few minutes to share this all with you, because as anyone knows, especially those who love any kind of horse...when a horse goes to auction or is no longer wanted or needed...they are not always as lucky as Clever.

I'll post more Old Friends stuff soon, and I am hoping to get over there on Sunday, it's been WAY TO LONG since I've gone to visit.

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks :) Clever Allemont's story is one of many that have come to find their way into rescue. Old Friends which is where he lives is a unique farm as they specialize in taking in stallions and geldings. They've raised $$ to bring stallions back from Japan, and have some mares too. THey are a WONDERFUL place to visit if you are ever in central Kentucky :)

So my saga continues...heh...

More from 10-03-10 Eventing stadium Jumping - World Equestrian Games Eventing is a 3 day competition of discipline <Dressage>, 2nd day -Stamina <Cross Country - jumping difficult obsticles>, and well...whomever is left just needs to be able to get around the third day - stadium jumping :laugh:

The best horse/rider in the world would be:
Michael Jung and La Biosthetique-Sam from Germany...They topped the rankings in Dressage, Cross Country and Stadium Jumping...
IMO this is the toughest competition other than Driving...

Expressions...hehe...a pair from Sweden

A leading rider from New Zealand, Mark Todd and Grass Valley

Another very tough shot to get.... I was the ONLY one getting this jump from this angle because nobody else could seem to grasp it...now don't I feel special LOL
----a leading rider from Canada - Selena O'Hanlon and Colombo.

More from the top 30 jumping competition on 10-08-10

Marcus Ehning and Plot Blue from Germany -

Kevin Staut from France

McLain Ward and Sapphire whom I posted in my first post... leading rider/horse from the United States :)

I love Sapphire's expression

Rodrego Pessoa is a leading rider from Brazil...

Abdullah and Saldana from Saudia Arabia...this pair came in and blew everyone away with how well they did! I think overall they finished 2nd best :)
BTW I LOVE this mare!

And then there is the best horse/rider...I posted pics in the first post...here's more from that night..
Eric Lamaze and Hickstead

I love the feel of this one :)

and because I'm a goof... here's one with a sephia glow..

I'll share a link to the albums tomorrow when I get them organized. I still have more jumping to go through and I think I still have some left from the driving competition.

·
Registered
204 Posts

You are very talented, love the shots! And the "glow" looked good. I wanted to go to the games, but my husband never takes off (and isnt a horse person anyhow) , and I didnt want to go by myself. Have any dressage shots?

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks so much :) The World Games were a blast! But it was also a lot of work. I was getting up about 4:30am, driving into Lexington and shuttling over from one of the hotels the first week, then not getting home until about 10pm sometimes closer to midnight! I was there 14 of 16 days. It was a dream that really hit reality in a big way! I can still remember sitting on my sofa in 2006 when the games were first announced to be coming to the US - I was about 7 months pregnant, and thinking 'Wow it would be so cool to get to go!'

I was there through all of Dressage events, and have pics up on my flickr page here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 154185254/

I did: Dressage, Eventing, Jumping, and Reining. I am soooo sad that I did NOT get to do Jumping final 4, but we had a birthday party for my 4yo that night and I couldn't get away early enough to go back - we had 50 people in our house!

Driving was VERY exciting! I hope they will start doing more driving competitions!

The Rolex 3 day event is April 28-May 1st, so you could always try to plan for that! Also, it was announced today that they will also be doing a Reining competition at the same time! I haven't had a chance to read up on it yet, but with the success of the World Games, they are planning to do a LOT more at the horse park now! WOOHOO!!! :)

We'll be credentialed again for the 3 day event, so I am excited! I am getting a new camera in the coming weeks too, so I can't wait!

I have about 3 more days worth of pics to completely sort through, and try to get everything burned onto dvd. I'd rather these been on dvd than an external hard drive... I have about 170GB worth of stuff from the World Games...crazy I know!

I'll share more later when I sort more :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts