Horse wormer?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Can you use horse wormer on goats? How do I determine how much to give them? Can it be the paste wormer? What kind can I use? Sorry I was just curious, it would make it a lot easier on me if I could just use horse wormer instead of ordering goat wormer off of the internet. (and cheaper on me) Thanks!

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, you can use it. The goat dose is usually 2-3x the horse dose by weight. I used EQUIMAX at three times the horse dose with great results.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay thanks! That will be so much easier than ordering everytime I need to worm. :)

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Crissa, I have used Ivermectin Liquid Horse Wormer with my goats (was actually suggested by my vet) and it worked excellently! I think you give the LIQUID at a dise of 1cc per 50lbs. but I am not sure about the paste :shrug:

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Brandi! That's good for me to know too and will be going in my "goat"book. lol

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Crissa I use the "Ivercare" from Tractor Supply....it is very low priced and works just as well with the same ingredient..Ivermectin...weigh your goats and multiply by 3....thats the way I dose mine, example...my 60 pound pygmy/nigi doe gets the dose for a 150 pound horse...which is just over half the dose for a 250# horse...you can't overdose, so what I usually do is put the 250# dose in a 3cc syringe and squeeze out just under half the amount of that dose....has worked very well for me.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    all horse wormer paste can be given to goats at 3 times the horse dosage (multiply your goats weight by three) and most you cant OD them with

The one I do know you need to be careful with is Quest.

8. Bigaj

Bigaj New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Do you give the liquid by mouth for the goats? And the paste the same way?

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Any oral dewormer should be given orally.