Horse wormer ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lacy_94, Dec 16, 2008.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    Hey guys how are you all doing ?

OK so I have a 800 pound pony and The horse wormer comes in these tubes that you use this spinning thing to ajust the weight,amount. Its basically high concentrated ivemcic put in to 100 pound sections. So

Of course I have some left over and was wondering if I ajust it right , will it be safe to give the goats?

Its apple flavored. So I have two 50 pound goats and two 100 pounds goats. I wil get mom to properly ajust it for me. But please let me know if I can do this. I usally swich back and forth through, Ivemic,Sumet

Thanks guys

2. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I worn with the horse wormer at 2-3 times the weight . 100 lb goat I give it a dose for 150-300 lbs depending on how the tube is marked
    Karen

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use Ivercare horse paste, and you do need to triple the goats weight when dosing...and worm again in 10 days...

Dose your 50# goats with HALF of the 300# pony dose...the bigger one can be dosed as a 300# pony....as long as it is ivermectin as the only drug...sometimes the combo wormers are dosed differently. :wink:

4. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    Thanks guys, To me it now seem's that it would just be easier to worm with regular ivemic LOL

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The paste is very easy to dose..use you "spinney wheel" to go to the weight for the dose you need. And since you allready have it, brainwork is cheaper than buying a new wormer :)

6. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    Ok, can someone explain WHY you would triple the dosage on an animal that wieghed less than what the worrmer is made for???? Are goats that more resistant to wormers than horses? A horse is much heavier than a goat so it would be stronger to make up for the wieght and muscle. Or is this having to do with the goats stomach. I am very confused here please explain your reasoning and medical findings for this.

Tamara, Tn
    still learning

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not positive on the science of it but yes, it has alot to do with the fact that a goat has a "different" stomach.