Horses and goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm looking at a little colt, and am curious as to how many of you have goats and horses together. I've seen it before, even Pygmies with horses. I plan on having a separate pasture next year, but for now, if I was to get something, they would be together. He's (the colt I mean) is still a youngster and small. My goats would probably give him a thumping, they're mean buggers. Lol

Anyways, just tossing around ideas.

2. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    It depends... Can you accept taking the risk if a goat is injured or killed by a playful colt? If you couldn't forgive yourself, then don't do it.

For myself, I cannot accept the risk so I don't keep my horses with my goats. If I had an older, sedate horse - maybe.

I felt bad enough this morning when the goat trompled a kitten. Didn't hurt her, but darn kitten tried to rub against my goat's udder. THAT's not gonna work!!!!

:shrug:

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I have kept goats with full size horses before with no problems but feeding.....you know those goats have to eat everything everyone else eats. I would separate them for feeding and you will do just fine.They will run and skamper with each other. I keep donkeys in with goats now and they have a great relationship. I think the friendliness of goats rubs off on other animals as they learn from the goats.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My friend has a 2 year old arabian colt(he's gelded now) but he's been with goats ever since he was a baby and he hasn't hurt them at all. He has picked up a few tricks from them though. When you're in the pasture he'll sneak up really quietly behind you and then head butt you in the back like he's a goat :lol:

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I've got my (massive) quarter horse in with the goats. Other than one "accidental" injury, everything's great! Now the horse and goats are inseparable. However, the goats do eat the horses tail ;)

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have had horses and goat together for years. My sister has some together, and I can tell you of about 10 other people I know. A lot of people use a goat as a companion for the horses.

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I would never put a young colt in with my mini goats intentionally.
    When we first started we had a buck that ran into a yearling colts paddock- and the colt picked him up by the scruff and tossed him- it was awful, the goat was okay (never snuck into that paddock again though!) Really the colt was just trying to play- but in my opinion any young horse, especially a colt, is not safe to have mini goats in the same pen.
    They like to play- and play rough- and it wouldnt take much to seriously injure the goat.

8. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    There ARE lots of heart warming success stories about keeping goats and horses together, but there are also quite a few stories about horses killing or injuring goats - even by horses that were raised with goats. It's just something to be aware of if it would break your heart...

That said, I will be putting my Dexter calf (mini breed) in with the goats - standard size Saanens - to wean the calf. I feel she's unlikely to injure the goats. She used to run and play with them when she was smaller than they were.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have had my goats in with the horses on and off for 2 years now. My big paint is just awesome with the goaties, and the quarter horse is also - but gets a little bratty at feeding time and doesn't do to well with the itty bitty babies.

When my paint foaled - I had made the mistake of putting them all together because it was a horrible storm and the horses needed better shelter for the storm - and I had two dead babies in the morning - sooooo, with a real young horse or one that is not used to mini goats - I would worry about baby goats - but the adults might be ok.

Is what I did - and this might sound bad - but I put two wethers in with the horses - that way "IF" something happened - I wasn't out alot but heartbreak. They did awesome with these two - then I slowly added and added till the herd was in the pen and they did great.

I use my horses to clean up the "waste" that the goats were leaving on the ground - so they rotate between the buck pen, doe pen, and horse pen!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is a big risk ... you never know... how the colt... will react to the goats.....they can play to rough with them....or accidentally trample them....feeding time ...would be hard ...as horses... are usually pushy....in a pecking order... Some horses... are wonderful with goats ...I won't deny that......while others are a nightmare....example: I had a Stallion... in which... I kept my goats separate from him....an terrible accident happened....I had a week old baby goat... crawl under the fence and slipped into the stud run......He ran right up... and trampled the baby....killed it... I was so devastated..... :( So... I put the stallion up for sale... and he was out of there....I did not want him.... to get to any other goats......so you never know... :hug:

11. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I do the same thing! I let the mares come into the goat pen to clean up the hay on the ground, and then I let the goats into the horse pen to keep them separate. Everyone always wants to be in the other pen!

What I've noticed is that my mares come in and lay their ears back at the goats to get them to move away, and the goats don't understand the horse's signals. I think that can set them up to get kicked or bitten if the horse is crabby - like my mares could be. The red mare LOVES the goats from across the fence, though.

12. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    When we had our horse, we had the goats in with her and she was fine with them. She was always very aggressive at feeding time to other horses and people both, but never to the goats for some reason. When the goats moved to another pen (except one timid doe we left in with the horse because the other does beat her up), I would put Spirit in to clean up the hay they didn't want. The goats always left a lot of wasted hay, but Spirit was very greedy and would vacuum up every crumb of food around. Unfortunately her vacuuming habits also caused her to eat a lot of sand and gravel, which we did not know about until it was too late, and she died from a bad colic.

The worst thing I ever saw the horse do was when one of the kids climbed into her grain pan. She picked it up by the leg in her mouth and lifted it out of the pan, turned to the side, dropped it on the ground, and went back to eating. The kid screamed like it was being killed, but did not have a mark on it. Spirit was always very gentle with her babies; we used her to babysit the kids when they were away from the moms, and she loved them like they were her own foals. They did shorten her tail though; I had to keep it braided and in a bag so it would not get chewed. They also chew horse blankets, and chewed up an expensive bridle I left hanging on the fence for a while.Who knew goats had a taste for leather lol? So keep your tack away from goat mouths!

13. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    My horse and goats are always together. I have had one accident, but that is only one in 3 years. Now the goats and horse are inseparable.

14. HouseElfLamanchas

HouseElfLamanchas VolBabe Boer Goats

Apr 12, 2013
    Emmett
    i agree i wouldnt put a colt in with the goats colts can be more playful than fillies and i know this because i used to groom a filly and the colt was playful as heck! lol he even reared up at me and turned and kicked but missed me and the filly just stood there like.... >_> are you serious right now? the human is grooming me! lol but with that said colts are spunky fillies can be spunky too but if you dont have money for a vet bill or really dont want to have to euthanize a goat then probably best not to put the goats in with the colt although im sure if you have a separate pasture you can put the goats on one side then the horse on the other side and they should be able to get to know one another through the fence :D

15. georgiagirl98

georgiagirl98 New Member

Jun 29, 2013
    I was kinda like you but backwards lol. I had 1 field and 2 horses and then i got goats. I keep them separated now but they were in together for about a year and did just fine. Here has been my experiences with it so far. :)

You have to be careful around things like if you go to get a goat or horse out by itself everything runs to the gate and the goats dont know not to get underneath the horses and the horses can't see them and thats what causes problems. Then they were together the other day and i got a horse out and 4 goats escape through their legs and i had to go catch them, then i was with the goats and one horse came up and the other one came behind him and bit him so he ran and almost squashed a kid (it scared me to death). I pored an almost empty bag of feed out for the chickens so i could throw the bag away and the goats ran over and tried to eat it then a horse came up and tried to stomp the goats with his front hooves. One of my horses dont care a bit in the world about them and she actually kinda likes them and she's the not so calm/nice horse, but my gelding that is always so sweet and calm hates them. It just depends on the horse.

Then a neighbor had some together and the goats would eat out the horses tail and its horns got hung in its tail and the horse started running and kicking and they caught him and had to cut the goat out and the goat was ok but never ate horse tail again.