Horses will not drink from trough - need help and ideas.

Discussion in 'Horses' started by ThreeHavens, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    One of the outside cats (maybe ours, maybe not) decided to spray the horses' water trough. We noticed our horses were snorting at the water and refusing to drink. So we emptied it and filled it back up, and added juice (which they love). Still a no-go. We filled a different trough and moved it. They still will not drink from it.

We have been giving them buckets, but mom and I both work and they will not get enough water this way - especially since they like to play with the buckets. We are pretty stressed. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Rinsing the troughs out probably didn't get the smell out all the way.

I would bleach out the troughs with straight bleach and rinse really well. Then I would sprinkle some baking soda and scrub that around and rinse then fill them back up.

Idahogoats likes this.

3. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do you think this will help if we scrub the outside? We honestly think it's our neighbor's cat, spraying the outside of their water bin.

4. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I would scrub the outside too, they won't drink if they can smell the cat pee anywhere on the tub

catharina likes this.
  5. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    water heater short???

mariarose likes this.
  6. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    We checked that and removed the water heater just in case - but I believe it's the cat urine.

7. Chloe123

Chloe123 New Member

Apr 15, 2015
    When you filled the different trough, was it a different color? Mine will only drink from a black trough. They'll drink from different colored hanging buckets, but for their trough, they are quite picky!! :)

8. PeggyAndPatty

PeggyAndPatty New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    You should clean them with soap

9. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Active Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    Maybe they don’t like the soap taste. Use some vinegar or Solumel which is diluted tea tree oil.