Host Service?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MoonShadow, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    Hello, Im new to goats when it comes to breeding, I've always had pet goats but never bred any.
    This year I would like to breed my cute little Nigerian dwarf doe but i don't want to get a buck just yet because well one buck for one doe just isn't quite worth it yet (you know with that smell and testosterone running crazy lol) maybe when i get a few more girls.
    So my question is What is Host services? I've heard of driveway breeding but Not host services. i just kinda assumed it was where ether party left there goat with the other person for awhile.
    My Doe is secretive when it comes to showing when shes in heat she likes to hide it from me lol thankfully my wethers don't mind helping me a bit. so if that's what host breeding is that might be a really good option fro me.

Thank you in advance.:thankU:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Where did you see host services? I would ask them. Never heard of that.

3. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I was browsing craigslist (I like looking at other peoples goats lol) and saw a nigerian buck for stud or host service.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure what that means.

5. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    It probably means your does stays over with the buck for a certain amount of time. You pay for boarding and stud AKA use-the-buck, fees.

6. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I'll bet it means board breeding. :)

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Or he comes to your place. I've never seen that term used with goats before!

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Call your local 4-H Extension office, they can put you in touch with 4-H leaders with goats,
    or even local breeders. Be cautious with Craigslist. Most are decent people, but ...
    Another way is to contact the veterinarians. They (if they do goats) would certainly know
    who has bucks.