Hot and humid...boys not liking it!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It is 87 degrees here today and very humid......storms are rolling in now, under tornado watch. Boys are not liking it.......gave Elwood, my black woolie boy a shearing to try and cool him.......What do some of you that live in warmer climates do to help your goats in the hot weather.......I think my goats do better in very cold weather then this heat! Mine don't have horns, but I did pour a bit of water on their heads.....you would have thought I was killing them!
    Gota get.....they just put our area under Tornado Warning.....hubby says get off computer!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stay safe! I think that all goats have problems dealing with the warm and humid weather......your DH will likely want to scalp me but my girls enjoy having a fan blowing on them...the boys just hang out in the shed.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I spray them with water

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz...great minds think alike :thumb: ! I went into town and bought 2 fans yesterday after storms passed and hubby hung them for me today.....they are aimed down into the pens.......All 4 boys laid right where the fans could hit them all day today! They did go out this evening right before dusk and browsed until dark.

Stacey, I did pour a bit of water on their heads and backs, they by no means like it though! You would have thought I was killing the 2 big guys.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad that the storm passed and you are ok...he he, mine will eventually have a regular ceiling fan!

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    As long as they have shade and cool, clean water they'll be okay....but another thing you can do to make them more comfortable is freeze water in gallon milk jugs and hang them in their barn. The cold air coming off the jugs falls to ground level and helps cool the goats. If you combine that with the fans it'll be like air conditioning. :)

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Boy, sounds like you all spoil your goats immensely! It was 98 degrees in the shade :sun: at the rancho yesterday 2 miles east of beautiful downtown Dew, Texas yesterday! The boys got a shearin' on June the 1 st and have big oak trees in the buck pen to lay under in the shade all day. That, and fresh water is the extent of their pampering. They don't do much of anything except lay around and act fat! We have to wait until 7:30-8 p.m. to feed because of the heat. Even then it is still 90+! :doh:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sealwayer..I never want to go where you are...sounds miserable..my goats think 70 is hot. ok the people too. :greengrin:

but AK is being all typical this year...it was a beautiful day..60F..walk outside and by the time one pen is fed..the sun was gone..it was hiding all of yesterday...It came out of hiding around 7pm..and didnt set! ahhh...solstice. :thumb:

when my goats are hot..i just clip them...poor guys, get their bad hair cuts. :ROFL:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Fred......you have to remember though the 80's is hot for us up here in the north.....our goats are more use to the colder temps......bring your guys up here in the winter when the outside temp is 10 degrees with wind chill in the negatives and I bet your goats wouldn't fair as well as ours.......I was born and raised down there, moved up here 5yrs ago and it did not take me long to acclimate to the weather up here........No Way I could ever handle summers in Texas again! But yes, your right about spoiled goats as mine and many others on here have them as pets only and there isn't much I wouldn't do for any of my pets.......I was just out wetting down the chickens barn and concrete and dirt area to help cool them off. I have hauled I don't know how many buckets of cold water today.....to chickens, goats and cats......pups are in the house with air conditioner.

FunnyRiver......great idea about the frozen milk jugs!

10. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    As someone who has seen snow only six times in his whole life, I can't even imagine the problems that you folks who live in the northern climes have to deal with, especially in Alaska! I was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas and am used to the heat, which I will keep, thank you very much! I raise Boers, so there isn't much of a climate difference between where they were developed and our great state. All I can say is thank God for air conditioning, cold, spring fed rivers, and ice cold beer or the frosty beverage of you folks choice! Think cool thoughts and have an ice day!

11. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Ah yes, Texas weather isn't for sissies. LOL

I raise boers also and as sealawyer says, it is similar weather to their place of origin.

My goats don't even notice the heat until it's well over 100. Of course it is crucial to provide shade and lots of water, but otherwise they do fine. They really shed off to a light coat in the summer and when the lay down to chew their cud, they always lay in the shade. Also they stay out at night, because it is too hot in their shelters.

As was mentioned, they don't care for extreme cold though. I have seen some shivering when it is in the 20's here.

But it is hard on us humans used to constant air conditioning. We don't feed until 8 pm here, because of the heat.

I am like the goats, having been born and raised here my entire life, I really can't stand the cold. Luckily, we don't have much of it.

Well I am off to mow, the grass grows like crazy here until we start staying in the 100's, then it just gets crackly and stunted.

Denise

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I just have to say that there is a huge difference between most Texas hot weather and Michigan's hot weather. I have visited Texas quite a bit (have relatives there) and there were times I was suprised when I found out it was in the upper ninties--it did not feel that hot to me at all. Texas heat tends to be rather dry which is more bearable (to me, anyway) than Michigan's 95% humidity on top of the 90 degree temps...The humidity is just draining and you feel sticky, oily, and disgusting on top of being too hot. And when you go from having only 60 and 70 degree temps to have 90's in a matter of about 2 days...well, it is tough to adjust.

13. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Ahhhhh Texas! As someone who was born and raised on the Balcones Escarpment in San Antonio, Texas, I'm old enough to remember using what we called "swamp coolers" in order to keep the house cool. God bless Willis Carrier and his wonderful invention! Anyhow, the goats will do just fine if you provide shade and fresh water, and maybe go out and sprinkle some water on them with the hose to cool them off. Just a light sprinkle, not a full stream, and they will make it. They get unsettled at night and graze and eat their mineral & likkum bucket, and breed at night. Mongo is out there fussin' cuz Lighter is blubblubbin' some does in estrus tonight. He thinks he has to tell on the goats when they are active at night!