The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very hot and humid in southeast Tennessee. Not normal by any means, just kind of sudden. As if we skipped spring and just started the dog days. My 2 bucks didn't even have energy to fight this morning. They would only get up to follow the shade. I shaved them both, that has got to feel better.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
We are having the same lower than normal temps that Roger reported in Indiana! It feels more like late September than early June. The goats are enjoying the weather!

So sorry you are having such sudden hot, humid weather.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
We had 106 degree's yesterday and not going to be any better today, the heat is on.

We are lucky here, not as humid, but odd thunderstorms were coming through for a couple of evenings with big winds, cooling it down quickly, really weird, on minute hot and no wind, the next, all of a sudden sounds like a freight train with wind, not good on goats, we have to keep an close eye on them, when the weather is strange or to hot and humid.

·
2,377 Posts
Yes, its been weird to have such sudden heat come about like this. Very dry and we have lots of oak trees that drop these oak leaf bug things. I gave all the goats a bath which is very rare thing for us to do but they didnt mind as I let the water warm up in tubs so it wasnt too shocking cold. These oak tree itch bugs (mites) or whatever they are -they are tiny. They are biting all of us and the animals when we work outside or go under the oak trees. I don't usually like to treat with a chemical, but this time, everyone is so miserable from these that I gave a permethrin wash treatment to all of the goats. They havent been itching lately so I guess it helped. Hopefully they(these oak tree bugs) will all die off soon. They have never been this bad so it must be the drought type conditions.

·
2,377 Posts
I am worried about goats maybe not drinking enough water and getting Urinary Calculi. I guess it's just something with all of us that we have to watch. Our water has the automatic water valves but it still gets so warm so fast. I try to freshen up the water each day by dumping some out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts