Hot hot hot hot...................

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Jul 8, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I know this is a ridiculous complaint for some of you but this never happens here. As I sit inside the house with all the windows shut, I am looking at the thermometer on the porch and it has reached 100 degrees. The windows are shut because it is sit under 80 in the house- I have a porch running around two sides of the hous on the south and west so the sun does not shine directly in. I designed it that way but never had any idea it would be so neccessary. No air conditioning here as it "never" gets this hot........... I now believe in global warming or at least humboldt County warming. Bad for the fires. It was so smokey this morning, I could taste the kind of wood burning.
    Anyway a couple of days ago I used my portable hot netting to make a paddock in the woods for the goats- thank goodness they are totally out of the sun. They have not really taken to this paddock- they are always hanging around the gate- they may go a little way in then come right back. Scared of the woods I think.
    BTW I got the other part of my Premier1 order which was the heavier one with thicker posts to step in- it is really worth the extra money. I had to thread it around trees and brush and it stands much more upright than the smaller post one. It is working well too. If I had it to do agaiin, I would not get the lighter posts at all even if they are cheaper. For straight lines the lighter one would be OK.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is Premier1??

Sounds like it is up here - hot and dry! I hope that you fair ok with the fires and they do not come near your property!!

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    http://www.premier1supplies.com - they have an electrified netting for goats, poultry sheep, etc. I have a picture of the first time I used it in an earlier post. Before I put it out to make a place next to the garden where the goats could clear brush for me- now I have it running through the woods for they to eat brsuh there.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good thing you have trees to shade your goaties...where I ran my electric "pasture" it's just field and they don't go out of the shed at all in the hot sun, they wait til now to go browse...hope those fires stay far away from you :pray:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh, the heats killing us here in Central WA. Last weekend it was up to 104 degrees!!! Luckily we have shade for every critter here so they're keeping pretty cool. Today it's around 95. We always have our air cond. @ about 70 in the summer...it's just too hot!!!

6. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Its killing me here in Texas!!!!! Other than our open air barn (the sides are shaded veryv ery well) the goats have very little shade. On July 4th the day after my new babies were born, I saw them panting and huffing and puffing really badly. I figured that they were still to young to be able to regulate the heat so I filled an aluminum bucket with ice and put it on the ground. MAN! did they flock to that bucket of ice! They just laid against it, every once in a while licking the ice. I even put a fan on them. I really seemed to help a lot!! I have 2 more to kid this month and the forcast says 103 by staurday which means about 110 for us (our city is ALWAYS 5-9 degrees off everyone else.

UGGGGG!!! Why did I move here!!!!????

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    cjpup- As I said - it "never" gets this warm this close to the coast here- so maybe it's just an unusually hot summer. I think that was very clever re: the ice.
    I got up at 4 am to open the windows in the house to hopefully cool it a little- I don't think I will be so lucky today as the house did not cool much overnight. Now where did I put those shorts?

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have a 100+ yr old house. It has 38 windows, I know this because we just had new windows put in it. That was a huge difference! Anyway, we open the windows at night, let the "cool" evening air in. Then in the morning we close all the windows, pull the blinds, make it "cave like". It stays pretty nice on the first floor, although it warms upstairs pretty quickly. I HATE air conditioning. Well, I dont' hate it, but, I don't love it. I only use it if I have to. Needless to say, we don't have central air, we have several window units that keep it pretty cool, if we have to. I like them because we only cool the rooms we are in. We had a real hot MAY, now it's been reasonable, but August is coming! I have two does due in August. But the barn is pretty cool and I have a big exhaust fan in there. So far everybody is handling the weather pretty well. I want to clip some goats, but I'm afraid they'll get sun-burned.

So, is there a "break" between you and the fire? I remember CA having bad fires when I was a kid. Grandmother was visiting relatives a few months after the fire, and the rain came and flooded them. She was in her early 60's and she was "caught" in an area were rescuers couldn't get to them for several days. She gave her food to a pregnant woman with a small child. So, this is nothing new. Same old weather we've always had. :GAAH:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep I know about the hot, or I did. It has really cooled off here (Thank you Lord), and he has even blessed us with some wonderful rain and a lot of it, so it is a little muggy here but I am not complaining at all. It has really helped with the fires around here.

Hope everyone can stay cool and safe out there. Please make sure you are drinking a lot of WATER. It seems like we forget to drink that or people drink to much soda or tea. Drink water and stay safe.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Its not global warming its the shift in the storm patterns. Normally we're in the 100s here but we're not. Its actually been a very mild summer here compared to normal. But we are in a drought so I think the super heat follows the rain.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Unfortunately no rain, just hot and smokey. It's a balancing act between getting some cooler air into the house in the morning and closing it up before the smoke gets in.
    Although it is irritating with the smoke here, some of those poor places further east have smoke so thick that you can't see more than a couple of blocks away and they are expecting that this will go on another three months. A lot of the fires are not being fought at all- terrain is too steep and hard to reach. So those fires will burn til rainy season puts them out. The extreme heat is making it worse. Normally fire season is more like September and October. Scary..........
    There are so many fires that the poor firefighters are too few and exhausted with trying to fight the ones that threatening towns. One (the second one of thsi season) just drowned in one of the rivers- here the rivers are still bone chilling cold and running fast with the melt from the mountains- these poor guys are drawn into the river to try to cool off and get swept away- they are from outside the area and don't realize how dangerous our rivers are. They don't look that bad but their currents are really fierce. When you have mountians, the currents are really moving. But flatlanders just don't have the experience- their rivers normally move slower.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    same here Ashely. Usually we have really hot and humid days. Not that we havent' had them, just not as many and much more rain (thankfully) so that we stay away from drought.

I hope things start looking up for California here soon, it just seems like if one area has lots of water another area is hit with drought

13. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Here in central Florida it's been in the high 90's, sometimes hitting just over 100.. We live in an older mobile home and the sun hits the back of our house full on in the afternoon.. Our window unit a/c's run pretty much none stop.. Even at nite because it takes most of the nite to cool the house off from the afternoon heat.. Thankfully we've been getting rain almost every afternoon since mid June so that helps to cool things off also.. We also keep all windows covered..

As for goats, the goat farm where I work at part time has fans on every stall (about 20 stalls) and they have several shade areas and trees.. It still gets really hot there but the goats have lots of water to drink and mostly just relax in the shade or in a stall..

Florida heat is why I plan on making my goat shed/barn out of combination panels and a burlap/cement roof.. In the 2 or 3 months that we actually get cold, I can hang plastic sheeting around like a curtain for insulation, rolling it up during the day when it's warmer.. There will be open doors on the north and south ends for access to pasture and because that's the direction that most of our breezes come from.. I will have 4-6 stalls that will also have fans on them.. Everything will be aimed at dealing with heat and air circulation..