The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the temps rising to almost 90 for the next 4 days I'm starting to wonder what to for my girls this summer. Where I live it's not uncommon for us to have 90 and 100 degree days regularly in the summer.

Should I clip them? I've heard people suggest it because it can prevent heat stroke but then say they'll be more bothered by bugs.. I do treat for flys on my farm so they're not bad. And, I use fly spray and could bathe them in citronella shampoo to help but, I'm new to goats and not sure that's a good plan.

What does everybody else do in the summer?

·
Registered
469 Posts
For our horse and goats, we clip under the throat down their neck and chest to expose the jugular and let them lose heat from there, and we also clip the belly, since that area also sheds lots of heat, and we spray them with an insect repellant if the horseflies are harassing them too much. They also have access to lots of shade and cool water. If it gets really hot around noontime we spray their necks and chest with the hose. I've never had any problems with heatstroke and our summer temps are regularly 110 with super high humidity.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
I've never heard of clipping goats until I joined this forum. living in Barbados, it's always hot here. goes from hot in the "winter" to humid, hot and sticky in the "summer/fall". even when it's super hot here, I've never seen any goats get clipped.....

my girls get hot some days, but I try to keep them where there's shade, but so far on really hot days, they get a bucket of ice water. they LOVE it! even tries to eat the ice. also to note that my girls have their horns.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I guess I should've added that all of my goats are disbudded. I would say that shade and cool water makes the biggest difference for them though.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,979 Posts
We have a fan to put on our goat whenever it gets hot and humid. She is horned, but she is also black, so that reflects the light from the sun and makes her really hot. She always has access to fresh water. This is our first year to clip her and she has not enjoyed it because we've had a few cold snaps, but for in June and July I'm sure she will appreciate it more.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For our horse and goats, we clip under the throat down their neck and chest to expose the jugular and let them lose heat from there, and we also clip the belly, since that area also sheds lots of heat, and we spray them with an insect repellant if the horseflies are harassing them too much. They also have access to lots of shade and cool water. If it gets really hot around noontime we spray their necks and chest with the hose. I've never had any problems with heatstroke and our summer temps are regularly 110 with super high humidity.
I like your idea of clipping them around the throat, neck and stomach! That's enough to keep them cool but not so much that i'll have to worry about bugs. Mine are dehorned and they have shade and just today we put a fan up but they still like to out in the sun and graze :p

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
What does everybody else do in the summer?
My girls have shelters, automatic waterers or water tubs that I keep filled, and their horns - I don't do anything else. Temps here can be anywhere from high 90's to 115 degrees - they do fine.

·
2,180 Posts
I body clip the show stock, and do a livestock clip on the others. Topline, belly, neck. Areas quickest to help shed heat.

Other than that, we freeze gallon water jugs or old milk jugs and toss em in their water tanks.

·
8,367 Posts
My goats do fine in the heat, if the darn weather would stay the same! It's the ups and downs that get to them!
Upper 80's and high humidity to low 40's and rain in one day! That's NE Ohio for you!

·
Registered
315 Posts
My goats do fine in the heat, if the darn weather would stay the same! It's the ups and downs that get to them!
Upper 80's and high humidity to low 40's and rain in one day! That's NE Ohio for you!
I know how you feel. Southern Michigan is just as bad. We've had to alternate between putting fans on them to keep them cool to locking them in stalls with deep bedding to keep them warm. So happy I haven't clipped them for the summer yet.

My goats get clipped every year because I show most of them. The ones that I don't show get clipped mainly to watch for lice, ticks, etc and keep them cool.
On the goats I don't show they just get under their neck, their belly, and partway up their barrel clipped, along with around their back legs and their upper legs.(modified from the high trace clip on horses)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine have plenty of shade, but I have two big fans in the barn to keep the air moving.

Yes, plenty of FRESH WATER, I too take a big chunk of ice out and put it in the waterer at noon.

I don't shave my goats, I'm afraid of sunburn.

DonnaBelle

·
Goat Lover
384 Posts
Shade and fresh, cold water are the necessities. That is pretty much all they need. I don't shave because I'm afraid of my goats getting sun burn. Especially my white goats. I keep an eye on them on extremely hot days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.