The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm sure you all are going to think I'm nuts however....my husband got me a new baby girl for Christmas and she is to little (and too dang cute) to go outside with the bigger animals. I have decided to keep her as a house pet, she is a now 3 months old and is a ND, any tips or advice on training her to not pee on her bed or other furniture, it's almost like she is "marking her territory" before she lays down. The "sixlets" as we refer to them are easy enough to deal with as we have concrete flooring and they sweep right up it's her marking habit for lack of a better way to describe it that I need to find a way to stop before she ruins all of my furniture...and btw meet Little Miss Lillie!! :p
lillie.jpg

·
Fair-Haven
4,607 Posts
She is cute! She is also a goat. Goats need long stemmed hay, loose minerals, regular hoof trimming and a balanced diet of calcium 2 parts to one part phosphorous. They also are herd animals and thrive with at least one buddy goat. lots of excercise, outdoor time, browse, etc. She will pee wherever she wants, she is not a dog or cat, please rethink keeping her in the house as her sole place to live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is cute! She is also a goat. Goats need long stemmed hay, loose minerals, regular hoof trimming and a balanced diet of calcium 2 parts to one part phosphorous. They also are herd animals and thrive with at least one buddy goat. lots of excercise, outdoor time, browse, etc. She will pee wherever she wants, she is not a dog or cat, please rethink keeping her in the house as her sole place to live.
Oh it's not her sole place to live, she goes in and out as she wants, I stay home and tend our farm and she is my little shadow she goes with me to tend all the other animals and she has taken up with our dogs and plays with them constantly as well as the other goats, cows, chickens, ect outside. She is provided all the minerals and such that she needs, I am simply looking for any advice that may help me curb the potty issue. :)

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
She's adorable! Goats are very smart when it comes to food rewards. Research clicker training and I'll bet you can quickly start teaching her to pee and poop on command in a place that's acceptable. The easiest would probably be to train her to go in one of those fake grass doggy "litter boxes" that they make for apartment dogs who have to stay indoors a lot. Teach her that she gets a treat whenever she goes in the correct spot and never reward her if she goes anywhere else in the house and I'll bet she'll pick it up pretty quickly.

I've heard of a few folks who successfully housetrained their goats, and since the goats lived with people they didn't need the herd interaction with other goats. The downside is if you have to leave for any length of time. She'll be very upset if she has to stay home by herself. If you have other housepets that she's bonded with it should be ok. One thing that goats love to do is explore and climb, so don't be surprised if she's into and onto everything like a toddler. Since this is a healthy part of goat personality, it's not really an instinct you should train out of her. Instead you'll have to find acceptable outlets, such as furniture she CAN climb on. Of course she'll also need to be taken outside regularly for fresh browse and exercise. Even though you intend to keep her as a pet, she still needs to be able to be a goat. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her fake grass potty spot will be delivered today, I actually ordered that the other day but was unsure of how to go about training her to use it. I appreciate your advice with clicker training and treats. I’ll definitely give it a try. As far as furniture she can climb on, she spoiled and is allowed to climb on anything her little heart desires. With the exception of one table but she can’t reach it and shows no interest in it at all. My husband just laughs at me and says I let her get away with more than my human kids because they get in trouble for jumping on the furniture and I just laugh and start videoing when she gets the “bouncies” and is jumping and bucking all over the couches and recliners playing with the dogs.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Haha! Watch that she doesn't get too destructive. As she gets bigger you may find there are more and more things that need to be "off limits". She can't be bouncing off the flat screen TV, jumping on the coffee table, or climbing kitchen counters. Just because she's not tall enough now doesn't mean she won't be in a few short months. Goat's grow incredibly fast and for a while their energy just grows with it until they mature. It will be good to introduce her to training now so when she's big you can channel her exuberance toward appropriate outlets.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Little Miss Lillie is super cute! Goats can be house pets and at least be pee trained from what I've heard. We knew a family who had two Nigerian Dwarfs who lived inside and were potty trained. She showed us pictures of them laying around her computer desk. I don't know how she trained them though. I had a bottle baby inside for around 3 months and even with me not working for it she was responding to the crate training. I also have read articles about people training their goats, outside ones, to pee in a certain spot to make clean up easier. If they can do that then you can too. :) There was also a thread on here not to long ago about a bottle baby who had already become pee trained even as a baby. Sorry I don't have any of the threads or articles. But I'm sure you could find them with some google searches. Also you could look for some facebook pages of goats that live inside and message the owners and ask how they trained their goats. The only one I can think of right now is Sawyer at https://www.facebook.com/SawyerHugs/?ref=page_internal And then there is Goat Shaming 101 facebook page. I see pictures of goats inside but don't know if they are potty trained.
Hope you can get her house trained. Sounds so nice to always have a goat by your side!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know a couple people that have house trained goats. It most certainly can be done but I highly recommend considering getting her a friend. If you look up "Feather the Unicorn" on fb I know the owner has a couple goats in her home and they go outside like the dogs. Well one does at least I'm not sure about the new one.

·
8,066 Posts
Like puppies, they actually "train" you to get them to the appropriate place to pee etc. As soon as she eats, put her at the "place". Right before a nap, soon as she gets up, etc. If she starts to pee, you can clamp her tail and hurry her to her spot. But, the berries are kind of where ever. I don't think they even know they leave little trails.

Are you getting her disbudded? I can't really see if she has horns or buds.... She is very cute!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Goats can be trained. Destiny was inside my house till she was 3 months old. She wont berry in my house nor piddle either. She knows exactly that the porche outside and the grass are acceptable. She still rolles on my couch like a dog does after a bath and shows Gizmo exactly where Chevani's bedroom and bath tub are. Gizmo loooooooovvvvvveeeeesssss my dining room table. Especially if my printer is on top of it. But he also does not deficate in my house.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I agree. They know how to control the poop! I've had goats that for whatever reason just refuse to "go" in the house or on the porch no matter what. I had one poor fellow inside all night one time because he came down with silent pneumonia, and I was so worried because he wouldn't go to the bathroom all night. I didn't think being inside a house would prevent him from carrying on his bodily functions. When I finally took him outside around 10:00 next morning (probably 14-16 hours after he came in), he peed and pooped about half a dozen times each in the space of five minutes!

I had another goat, Cuzco, who spent a lot of time on our wraparound deck. In fact, he kind of lived up there, but he never went to the bathroom on it. He always took his business into the yard except on the rare occasion when Phil and I would leave town overnight. When we came home, Cuzco would be out with the horses and would refuse to speak to us, and we'd find a heaping pile of pellets on our front doormat to welcome us home. That goat was a character!

·
8,066 Posts
You guys have good goats! Mine are common livestock! :D. But, a select few do know how to control berries, they do it on the milk stand. They know how mad that makes me! So they periodically will drop a load, especially when I am in a hurry and don't have time to sweep and wash the floor that night! (I wash it almost every milking- have to due to milk regs.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to revive an older thread, just looking into training my little guy, Frank! lol. I've noticed he's been going right when I take my girls out. He's still been going in the house some, but he's going when I take him out as well. I love him so much, not sure I can deal with him being outside all the time. lol I've been putting him outside all afternoon when i'm home at lunch around noon, until around 6. Longer on days I'm off. Trying to get him integrated into the herd, but not leaving him outside at night right now, until I see him actually laying with the other goats.

@AHeichelheim - any updates on potty training progress?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to revive an older thread, just looking into training my little guy, Frank! lol. I've noticed he's been going right when I take my girls out. He's still been going in the house some, but he's going when I take him out as well. I love him so much, not sure I can deal with him being outside all the time. lol I've been putting him outside all afternoon when i'm home at lunch around noon, until around 6. Longer on days I'm off. Trying to get him integrated into the herd, but not leaving him outside at night right now, until I see him actually laying with the other goats.

@AHeichelheim - any updates on potty training progress?
Yep! She's doing phenomenal! We are working on controlling the berries but as for her watering anything in the house she now only waters her special grass!
4B4DD7A0-55A4-44C6-A7D8-9FF07654D3C5.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am attaching the one I purchased from Chewy. It has a drain system where the urine flows down channels and into a collection bin that is easily removed. It comes with a powder that is basically like what is inside a diaper you put it inside the removable bin and it absorbs the liquid and then you just dump it. No smell at all super easy system and cleanup. As for the "grass" i just rinse it off from time to time with a water hose. Also chewy sells the powder and replacement bins when you are ready for more. They aren't necessary for the system to work but I prefer to use them.
https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-pet-loo-portable-indoor/dp/167577

1 - 18 of 18 Posts