The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We raise Nigerian Dwarf goats for dairy and show. This year we will be breeding up to nineteen does. We leave kids with their moms until weaned. Last year we had thirteen does bred and segregating them was difficult. We have several indoor rooms/stalls that we divided into smaller areas with portable plywood panels.
This year we will need to find new ways to house them or we will need to seriously curtail our breeding schedule. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with this.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Story of my life I'm telling you. Just shelter ideas or pens too? I like the shelter logic carports. They Joe up really well being a tarp and poles, way better then those white carports. The tarps do eventually give out if in the sun. You can throw a cheaper tarp on top of them to help with that. This year I am going to use some light weight metal panels of some kind and just make something more durable.
Pens they have those panels like beef panels just the squares are 4X4. I'm not sure if little ND will fit threw those or not though. You could line the bottom with chicken wire or some kind of anything that's cheap with small holes. Maybe even some 2X6s would work.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Is your herd one of those that all kid the same week? (like mine)

I'll be in a similar boat this year, normally I've had around 14 kidding... well this year I have 27.... thankfully 6 of them wont be until two months later and another 8 are newer does and from my observations, are not on the same schedule as my veteran does.

But back to the main point, how long do you normally keep them separated with their kids? Even when I had 14, after three days or so (sometimes less) mama and kids go back into the community pen. Once I make sure everyone has had their slurp of colostrum, can drink by themselves and get identification, they are out into the group again (if the pen is needed but even then, they don't stay much longer than three days.)

I also just have portal panel type pens I line my walls with, towards the end I start taking them down to make more room.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Forgot to mention, my pens are an made out of 1 x 4's with two panels being connected with a set of hinges. So they are easily folded for storage and can be thrown up quickly into any shape really.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Wooden pallets make a quick, easy and cheap pen. I use them for my bucks, the creep feeder for the kids and kidding pens when I need extras, like I will this year! I just tie them together using baling twine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts