How are you guys handling the Coronavirus chaos?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 12, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I admit, I never thought it would get this bad, but whew. We haven't stocked up, and maybe that is a bad thing, and now especially since people are going crazy and cleaning out the stores. I usually do my grocery shopping on Friday evenings, but I am hoping to get to the store early tomorrow morning.
    The whole toilet paper thing is just crazy. I was at a Walmart store last night after going to Lowe's and there was no toilet paper - but lots of paper towels? There were 2 kinds of hand soap left. I don't normally shop at Walmart, so I'm hoping our local stores will have the stuff I need.

The Governor has recommended all schools close for at least 2 weeks. Many are just starting spring break in our area or will have spring break in another week or two, so many schools are calling off for the next 3 weeks.
    My daughters school is one of them. After tomorrow, they won't return to school until April 6th - that last week was her already scheduled spring break. The kids will have Non Traditional Instructional days (NTI) and do work each day at home.
    She is really sad because they had an Agriculture class field trip they were supposed to take today, and a school dance tomorrow. Of course it's all canceled.

Now I'm praying my spring job is not going to be at risk. I do photography for a media outlet at our local horseracing track. The track announced today it would be closed to spectators/fans/bettors from opening day (Apr 2nd through the 15th) well the last day of the meet is the 24th. There are several big races the first 2 weekends.
    The man who runs the website I work for said 'yes' to credentialed media being allowed to attend, so fingers crossed. The $$ I earn for spring races helps with goat stuff/show season since I am not otherwise employed.
    Of course now they are talking about possibly postponing the Kentucky Derby, and that ends my spring season at the races. Geez :(

I hope nobody here gets sick, hopefully all of us and our families and friends stay safe. Hopefully we can all get back on track with our lives soon, and put this crazy madness and scary sickness behind us.

Love goats, HMNS, Jeannie and 3 others like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yikes! So far no one around us seems to be panicking. But then, I live in a small town and I think most of the folks around me think this is a lot of hoopla over nothing. With such a small number of people even being tested, I wouldn't be surprised if half the country already got hit with it a month ago and passed it off as any other cold or flu. I'm not sure I understand all this closing of schools--kids are apparently least at risk of getting it, and those who do seem to recover quickly with very mild symptoms. I think all this panicking is a far bigger risk than the virus itself. Now everyone who gets a sniffle is going to want to run to the nearest hospital and demand a coronavirus test. People clogging up hospitals and medical resources over non-emergencies is far more dangerous than the sickness itself. I wish the stupid media would shut up and quit creating a panic just to generate clickbait.

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

My daughter got the last 4 pk of toilet paper at our Walmart yesterday. It was hidden high and in the back so she put my grandson on the shelf to get it. She was supposed to get hand sanitizer also but nope. Not for coronavirus, we use it during kidding and going pen to pen when we have new kids.
    I have a stash of old fashioned benzadine towelettes that will have to do.
    I learned long ago to keep groceries a month ahead so, really it's just business as usual here.
    I can't go see my 87 year old mother though as I had planned. Since brat child can bring it from school and I could take it to her all before showing any symptoms, it's just not worth the risk.
    The larger town about 15 miles away has 19 confirmed cases in the veteran's home.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I didn't see this thread, started one in management. Feel free to move or delete mine.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I went to Walmart (I don't like that store, but it was open, the grocery store closed early, people were being ingnorant!) the shelves were empty, every canned food and box of food, rice etc. gone. Meat section empty! Not a pint of milk left. Absolutely incredible. There are, so far, only 5 confirmed cases in Ohio, but the schools are closed for 3 weeks.

6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Holy Moly! Are you serious? Here in central Maine, the TP and the hand sanitizer are gone. So are the antibacterial wipes I like to use for milking, so we'll make our own with tea tree oil and lavender. But the food sections are all normal at the stores. So Far!

Kass, Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You can use baby wipes to wash hands and teats with and make your own sanitizer.
    It's not too crazy here yet but I haven't been shopping lately. I buy a month or so ahead.
    Here's a recipe for hand sanitizer. Use the 90+% alcohol in the pharmacy section

Attached Files:

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I had go to walmart yesterday for a few things that i cannot get at the grocery. No tp or paper towels, cleaning products or hand stuff here either. Ugh what a mess! Checkout lady said they are limiting tp, pt hand sanitizer for buying. ! People wearin face masks.... on their chins what is that?!?! We have enough food to last us a long while with the meat we process, eggs and milk daily, canned goods from last year, i make bread regularly anyway and the things that are in the freezers and house. I did laugh at the flour and sugar isle... very very low. And i am like people bread is not just a thing you wake up and do well lol! My mama insists on goin to town which i prefer her not to. She catches every bug there is lately. The governor has mandated anything over a hundred people gathering be canceled... yea that has worked for some things other not so much. A ton of people here are outraged over march madness basketball being canceled. It is kinda comical but we do not watch sports much. Colleges are doing online classes. It is all jist nuts. :/

9. Hillsideboers

Hillsideboers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    Everything is crazy here no tp in any of the stores I was able to get some from the dollar store but when I went back an hour later they were sold out and said it would be till Wednesday before they would get more!
    I’m extremely worried about it, not about getting sick but about my job. I’m a dental assistant and with this panic people have bought so many mask that we’re in shortage. We change mask for every patient we see and we have enough to last us 3 weeks but I’m not sure what will happen after that. And now they are limiting how many gloves we can buy. It’s getting ridiculous! I’m can’t offered to not work for weeks so I’m hoping the fear and panic subside soon!

10. billiejw89

billiejw89 Well-Known Member

All sports, and extra school activities have been canceled here in central washington. School closures may be in our future.
    there have been no known cases in our county. I know many schools on the west side have been closed.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I think people are going crazy about this. I live in rural Wisconsin and there are only 6 confirmed cases in the state. All the sports being canceled are ridiculous. The WIAA first restricted spectators then canceled the state tournament--when all the teams had already played sectional semi-finals and were there. I run track and we have a few indoor meets we are going to-which I'm sure will be canceled. If the season is canceled I will be pissed. I feel so bad for the athletes whose games and seasons have already been canceled. I don't really think our school will cancel unless the state mandates it. I don't think the world needs to stop because of it. Old people and people around them need to be careful, but life doesn't need to stop.

12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    ^ This sort of thing is what I feel bad about. Those of you in the medical industry are most affected when people rush out and buy up every face mask and pack of sterile gloves.

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like the entire country is going crazy except where I live! I think we have about 50 confirmed cases in Colorado since they started testing last week but no one in my area seems to be concerned about it. In fact, I'm wondering if what my husband and I came down with in mid-February was coronavirus. It was like the flu but without the nausea (fever, achiness, shortness of breath, bad chills, exhaustion, coughing). I got over it pretty quick but Phil had a bad lingering cough for a couple of weeks afterwards. It was weird because a cough always comes after a sore throat but neither of us had a sore throat so it wasn't a typical cold at all. Everyone at church was talking about the "terrible bug" that was going around in late Jan./Feb. so it makes me wonder if it already came through our area and we just didn't know. I have a feeling there are way more people out there who already have or already kicked this virus than we'll ever know about.

In the meantime, it hasn't hindered our travel plans. Phil flew to a small business retreat in Texas last weekend and now we're driving to Arizona to visit relatives. The hotels and restaurants are bustling and according to Phil the planes were full and the airports were busy. Yet folks are buying out toilet paper and canned goods like this is the apocalypse... I don't understand people.

13. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    This whole thing is a publicity stunt, in my opinion. Just seriously unnecessary. I have spoken to a dozen of my Dr friends and NONE of them are panicking. Only one of them said to take MINOR extra precautions. It is basically the flu. Yes, certain people are at risk, AS WITH ANYTHING......but the basic population is not at risk....this is not the black plague, for goodness sakes.

Edited to say: Yes, all our Walmart's and most other big box stores, Lowe's, Home Depot and even the Dollar Stores are out of TP and Sanitizer. I had a lady at the Dollar Store yesterday tell me I better go get the last package of toilet paper. She had 2 36 packs in her basket. I said, "I'm not out of toliet paper. I am her for canned dog food to give dewormer to rescue puppies AND I am not easily panicked. This is HOW the media creates shortages." She stared at me as if I had 4 heads. Seriously folks.....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  14. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    The reason schools are closing is because it can take anywhere from 14-45 days to show symptoms and the entire time you are contagious. Here in my small town, all schools are closed because of a teacher that came back from overseas over a month ago and he started showing symptoms a few days ago so they tested him and he has it. There are a lot of confirmed cases near me right now and over half of them never left the US. In Italy, the death rate is 30% or more right now and they just closed their borders.

This is worse then they are telling you! It's a superbug!
    There are treatments you can take if you get it but most of them are sold out or close to it. One of the best ways to prevent and treat it is to take high levels of Vitamin C, L Leucine is a known virus killer so taking it will help treat as well.

15. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Absolutely nuts here! I have not gone shopping for supplies since the end of November so yeah we needed a lot of things lol the hand sanitizers, Lysol, and alcohol was all gone. I picked up the last case of baby wipes. I always keep them on hand for cleaning hands or.....cough cough......when I haven’t been to the store in awhile and run out of TP lol paper towels and water bottles were gone and this poor Walmart guy came out with a pallet of TP. Me and 3 other people walked up to get some from him and then there was a mad rush of people pushing in front of me to get some. Well I ended up with my bundle of TP but I had to push back.
    What I don’t get is well 1. They were so worried about this but rub up on other people to push them out of the way for TP, and 2. All the important things were still fully stocked lol there was plenty of food and canned food, soap, laundry soap and female products. And we have only had 1 case here! And they were very responsible and knew they didn’t feel well so stayed in their house and didn’t have anyone come over after their trip.
    I saw last night that someone was turning someone in because they were sitting on a corner with a pickup and trailer full of cases of water they were selling for $15 a case. And in the picture there was a bunch of people buying it. IMO pretty stupid considering we are all on well water.
    But my sons academic pentathlon is canceled, he is absolutely crushed about that. And my daughter watches the news and sees how schools in other states are shut down and she’s upset it’s not her school lol
    But for the most part all is well this way. I have my 16 rolls of TP now and will be rationing it out to the children so I don’t have to deal with that mess again any time soon lol

16. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I worry over our dil.... she is five months pregnant and a rn in an er. Ugh! I want to wrap her in a bubble! Our oldest her husband is a police officer so i too fret over him and his job.

A lot of businesses that are closing here are actually paying their employees while they are mandatory closed.

17. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I work in our local Emergency Room and everyone and their uncle is freaking out about it, the patients, not us. We are treating it like any other virus. Use common sense. Remember younger healthier people are not so much at risk but those people are vectors for the virus and a great way to bring it home to Grand parents or sickly relatives. Do not buy out the toilet paper but do plan smart with your food rations to avoid unnecessary trips to town. No need to freak out, just use common sense. It sounds like our area is hoping to set up drive up testing like some other countries have. If you think you have it do NOT go to the Hospital unless you are immuno suppressed or elderly and cover up your nose and mouth if you have to go in. Protect others as well as yourself. If you have it and you are a normal healthy person, tough it out at home. I say this KNOWING full well in a week or 2 the ER is going to get slammed by every sniffle or cough that hits the street expecting to get an instant hospitalization or cure. That's not how it works. The general public will clog up the ER so it makes it difficult for really sick people to get in. Please use common sense, do not panic and DO NOT CLOG THE LOCAL ER!! Lol seriously though. Most of us will be fine, its not something we need to bring to the hospital and spread around generously to actually sick people.

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I get it. Some kids live with their grand parents, who may actually die from the virus. My kids are hoping their schools shut down:lolgoat::lolgoat:
    IMO people are going crazy over this! It isn’t a big deal unless you have a weak immune system or are very young or old... OH NO THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! said chicken little. Nope! Just an acorn falling from a tree! Now, if the acorn (corona virus) was maybe a boulder (Black Plague for instance), yes you can be worried, but this is pretty much the flu and pneumonia on steroids(rofl)

19. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    Holy cow! Here there's no toilet paper but plenty of food still.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  20. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    Well it looks like we have some smart people here!
    The Covid 19 is just a modified version of the Corona virus- which we all have. It's just a stronger version of the flu.
    Your more likely to die from a hippo attack.
    Also, a lot of the people who are dying happen to be half dead already ( medical problems) And have compromised immune systems. Also an interesting fact is that a lot of the people getting sick are by 5G as well. There are so many different viruses that have gone around that were WAY worse than this. (for example, the spanish flu).
    I'm mostly worried that the government will declare a state of martial law.

Stress and fear will kill you faster than the virus itself since they compromise your immune system.

The news keeps showing all the bad about the virus. The press is all controlled. Find dependable sources that are not controlled by the "Big boys".

There's no doubt in my mind that this virus was made and let out on purpose.

Funny story. One of my neighbors friends took all his kids in to the doctor and they all tested positive for the corona virus. His friend totally FREAKED out.
    Thing is... the doctors didn't tell him that everyone has the corona virus. They had corona virus, but not the Covid19 strand.