The Goat Spot Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2381 - 2400 of 2401 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Last week, Quebec announced it would expand the vaccine passport system by requiring proof of vaccination to enter liquor and cannabis stores.
Im suprised if the Cannibus users dont freak out about this Canadian law! Lol lol its taken years for them to get it legally, and now...another government block..!
And this just in: Cannabis may help prevent Covid!

The overview:

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Any suggestions on what to do to help you? Solutions? I'm sorry, Canadians.

With the Supreme Court knocking down the OSHA mandated vaccinations (YAY!) and another federal judge requiring trial data be released to the public in 8 months instead of the FDA's requested 76 years, I think we're making progress here. But, man, is it painful.

My kids are pining to go to Canada on a trip- we'd LOVE it but it's a pipe dream now.
Well don't tar all of Canada with one brush. The proposed unvax tax is in Quebec where they also have a COVID Curfew from 10pm to 5am. Quebec often does things a bit ... um ... different.

Besides, you guys still have many entertaining things happening politically to which we don't know the outcome. So I'm not ready to move to the States just yet. Not that I could anyway.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm really happy that the Supreme Court ruled the way they did. I'm ok with vaccination mandates for staff at federally funded hospitals, but the private employee mandate was a bridge too far. I like what the court said here:

"Although COVID-19 is a risk that occurs in many workplaces, it is not an occupational hazard in most," the court wrote. "COVID-19 can and does spread at home, in schools, during sporting events, and everywhere else that people gather. That kind of universal risk is no different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution, or any number of communicable diseases."

Also,

Benjamin M. Flowers, solicitor general for the state of Ohio, argued on behalf of the group that the administration’s industry-wide application is too broad, exceeding its authority to regulate activities limited to those present while employees are on the job.

“It's not truly intended to regulate a workplace danger; it's a danger that we all face simply as a matter of waking up in the morning,” Flowers argued.

He's right--Covid is not a special workplace danger, so there's no reason why OSHA should have the authority to mandate vaccines specifically for workers. I can see why the hospital mandate was allowed to stand, given patient vulnerability and the fact that diseases are far more prevalent in a hospital setting than in the general public. I don't love that it went into effect for a vaccine so new, but at least I can appreciate the reasoning.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Well don't tar all of Canada with one brush. The proposed unvax tax is in Quebec where they also have a COVID Curfew from 10pm to 5am. Quebec often does things a bit ... um ... different.

Besides, you guys still have many entertaining things happening politically to which we don't know the outcome. So I'm not ready to move to the States just yet. Not that I could anyway.
Even when the political outcomes happen we still won't know the outcomes lol don't get me started on politics I am not actually supposed to share my opinions.

We won't take you either. But humm you think that area would know covid doesn't know the time of day to stay inactive from 5 am until 10 pm.

My mother told me she saw on the news that the state of Tennessee is 32 or 33 % with covid. So about 33% of the state's population currently has active covid! That's not counting all the sick that are not labelled as covid because apparently if you don't test for it then it isn't covid lol

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I agree littleheathens progress is being made. The Supreme Court knock down of the mandate was a great thing!!

DDFN our state has high Covid rates too I’m sure. It’s everywhere. Doesn’t really matter if they are strict or not about masks etc. I heard from a friend that it’s supposed to peak in our state next wk. Not sure how they happen to know that? But a lot of people are getting it here.

By the way….is omicron the last variant? I sure haven’t heard of any other variants that are heading to the US? Have you guys heard anything? Maybe it’s because I’m busy on the farm but it seems like Covid might be going away. Is that possible? Shhh don’t tell anyone!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
B.C. shortens wait between second, third vaccine doses for pregnant people

As of Jan. 13, pregnant people living in B.C. can now access a booster shot only eight weeks after their second vaccine dose and at any stage in their pregnancy, but it took a few weeks for the policy to come into effect.

Marie Tarrant, a professor at the University of British Columbia school of nursing who studies maternal and childhood vaccines, agreed being fully vaccinated with a booster shot would benefit a pregnant person and their fetus – the more antibodies in either immune system, the better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
848 Posts
More silliness.

An 84-year-old Indian man allegedly received 11 or 12 doses of COVID vaccines over the past year by using multiple identification cards assigned to him. He has threatened to commit suicide if prosecuted for misleading the Indian Health Service.

So, it seems that some people don't want the jab at all, but others cannot get enough.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Pfizer CEO and chairman Albert Bourla:

“We know that the two doses of the vaccine offer very limited protection, if any,”
“The three doses with a booster, they offer reasonable protection against hospitalization and deaths – against deaths, I think, very good, and less protection against infection,”

We have been hearing that the vax effectiveness goes down rapidly over time, hence we need boosters.
There have now been several studies that show if you are double vaxed (no booster) the effectiveness is actually negative against Omicron after about 4 months. That is 4 or more months after your 2nd shot you are more likely to get Omicron than a person with no shot.

I didn't see anything about the severity for those infected with or without shots.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
There have now been several studies that show if you are double vaxed (no booster) the effectiveness is actually negative against Omicron after about 4 months. That is 4 or more months after your 2nd shot you are more likely to get Omicron than a person with no shot.
I'd be interested to see those studies.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
Currently have my sister, my daughter, my daughter fiance who is type1 diabetic, my other daughters husband,, several of her co workers,, two family friends and my other daughters mother in law along with several members of our church down with covid.
All have said the first day or two was hard but quickly they all began to feel better. Even My future SIL who we were a bit worried about with his health was only down one day!! Not that day two was great..but he was up eating. Im guessing This new variant is less critical than the others. I'm not saying it's easy....or for some cant be serious as any illness can,, but people do not seem to be as serious as the other variants. I'm praying it's loosing steam 🤞

·
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,394 ·
This past week has been crazy. Firstly, I am feeling better thankfully. I did see a lung doctor yesterday because a ct scan I had last week of my stomach showed a small nodule on the bottom of my left lung. He isn't concerned about it and said I probably came in contact with a virus at some point that caused it, said it was common.
ct scan didn't show top of lungs, but he said a lot of issues tend to start in the bottom, however if I had a blood clot or scaring they would be at the top and wants me to have another ct scan. However, he believes I have acid reflux. I definitely think he is right as I've suspected this for the last few weeks.

My son is sick as of yesterday and I am worried he probably has Covid or the flu. Fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, etc. I don't know of anywhere he can really get tested this weekend, and appts for places I do know of are booked until Wed. There is a place he could go tomorrow but some of those drive through spots say they have testing then you get there and there is no one there. Ugh.

Work has been a nightmare. I returned from a week off on Sunday to pure chaos. I work part time at a grocery in the online pickup dept - I pick online orders. We had a winter storm hit late last week along with Covid cases soaring, so orders were coming in at high volumes - staff couldn't keep up. When I came in on Sunday morning we had 80 orders that had rolled over from Saturday, and around 200 orders just for Sunday. That is insane! We don't have the staff or capacity for that. We had people out with Covid including our dept manager, someone quit, another person I am not sure if they are on vacation or quit? We are officially terribly understaffed. We begged management to have the orders capped off and cancel orders, but they said they couldn't do that - apparently the only one who has the call on that is the President/CEO of the company and that this was happening at many of the stores.
Monday I never touched a single order for that day, I was still picking from Sunday. Our area, fridge & freezer were overfilled with orders, many no doubt were not going to get picked up but hadn't been cancelled. Customers waiting for HOURS in line to pick up their orders, people complaining and so upset. I feel so bad for the customers, especially the ones who are sick and the regular customers. Wed they did finally cap things off and we got caught up and were starting to empty out the cancelled and old orders.
Our area should be 'empty' when I get to work in the mornings, so it's been overwhelming coming in to see it so full - finding places to put orders, just finding room to bring our carts in so we can put the orders where they go and restock with totes for the next cart.
I don't pick a person's whole order on one cart. They might have 2 totes for a refrigerated cart, I might have 1 of those and someone else have the other one.
Today I was picking orders from yesterday afternoon and there were still soooo many orders left to pick. One full time person called in, fed up and needed a break before they quit - I don't blame them. I just don't see how this could be good for business? So much waste! Deli meats/cheese, meats and produce especially. Ugh.
They need to get some control over this and start capping the orders.

There is a chance for snow this weekend and I told them if there is even a dusting don't plan on me being there. That's how fed up I am right now :( Thankfully I am off work tomorrow. Let's see if they get their act together Sunday...
On top of that there are shortages happening again - chicken being the worst and ground beef are the big ones and not a single cough drop in the store today which apparently has never happened before. But hey, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels!

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Thank goodness for the TP!!! Gosh I wish I could come back and see what my great great great grandkids thought of all that lol
I’m sorry things are tough at work though. That sure makes for long days at work :(
Sooooo the funnyness of how the schools handle this is so baffling I have to laugh. Still no test done on my son that I got a email about on monday Being exposed. I wonder if 3 weeks from now when they get to his name if they will still call him in.
My daughter was exposed on Tuesday. So no testing just simply do not come to school for 5 days after being exposed. She only goes to school on tuesdays so I said oh! Only 5 days (last time it was 10) so she can go to school on Tuesday. They said no not this next Tuesday but she can come the next Tuesday. Hmmmmmmmm now I’m just the mommy teacher, I didn’t get my degree or anything but something just isn’t adding up on that math lol
So in a nut shell, son might have covid but he stays at school because they haven’t gotten around to him (again no symptoms). Daughter was exposed has to stay home for 5 days but 5 days really means at least 7 days lol I give up!
Also heard today threw the grapevine since I don’t watch the news any more, our governor is planning on starting this thing where they send each family 1 mask and 1 test per month. Not one per person, 1 each person family. I laughed over that! Maybe the whole family shares 1 for the month? That can’t be a good plan to stop this lol

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
@happybleats
Yeah, the latest version is basically a bad cold. Glad your family is getting over it. I'm pretty sure it's what my husband and I have right now. He's almost over it. I caught it from him so I'm a few days behind.

@HoosierShadow
That's insane. I hope things settle down soon or your grocery store isn't going to have any more employees and I won't blame them for quitting! Reminds me of that "I Love Lucy" episode:

@Jessica84
That is hilarious. These confusing, conflicting, ever-changing rules are why most people are throwing up their hands and saying, "Why bother?" Who can believe public health guidance or the so-called "experts" when none of them agree, the message keeps changing, and the message rarely makes sense in the real world anyway? Precious little of it has made sense from the beginning. I love that they want to send one mask and one test to each family per month. Now THERE'S a helpful public health strategy! Yessiree-bob! That'll show that Covid who's boss! The virus will be crawling on the floor looking for its teeth and your family will be SAFE with that mask and that Covid test!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd be interested to see those studies.
Here is one article:

And one more:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
This will be interesting to watch as time goes on, but right now it's impossible to draw any conclusions. It looks like there's a lot of buzz around a preprint of a study out of Denmark that appears to show that vaccinated people are more likely to be infected with Omicron than unvaccinated people. But right now it looks like there's a lot of information missing. My brain is extremely foggy today because I took Nyquil last night and it left me with a terrible hangover, so it will be easier to look into these articles later when my head is clear.

One of the things that I don't see being taken into account is whether the unvaccinated had a previous Covid infection. I would readily believe that vaccinated individuals are more susceptible to Omicron than unvaccinated but previously infected people, but I would be skeptical of the claim that vaccinated individuals are more susceptible than naive ones. My guess is that they would either have similar susceptibility or that the vaccinated would have a slight advantage. I'm not seeing any differentiation here between unvaccinated recovered and unvaccinated naive and I think it's a very important one.

·
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,399 ·
I am sure work is insane today and feel bad for my coworkers who are trying their best to take care of customers. My daughter and I were running errounds in another county - getting goat feed, dog food and a few grocery items/medicine because unfortunately Covid has hit our house - my son tested positive a little while ago. He has not felt well since Thurs afternoon, started with bad back ache, he thought he'd injured his back throwing hay bales off a wagon (works at a feed company). Then I guess overnight he started feeling really bad, running a fever, etc. I had no idea he felt so bad until I got home from work yesterday. He has all the symptoms except he still says he has taste & smell.
There are no appointments near us that I could find for testing until mid week, so by chance when I stopped in the pharmacy to check on a prescription and they happened to have some at home tests so I bought one. They were $10 each so I figured I'd try one out on him to see how doable they are. It was very easy and sadly, didn't even have to wait 15 minutes, he is so positive apparently that it had a positive result in 4 minutes.
So, I've contacted work to let them know that I have to quarantine. I'm not sure if I could technically work if I tested each morning before I go in, but I cannot do that @ $10 a test :( The schools here have a program 'test to stay,' where the kids can be tested on site and if they are negative they can go about their school day, BUT, they can not ride the bus to/from school for the quarantine time. I kind of wish they did that for us at work since we are having so many shortages on staff. We just had someone come back yesterday that had to quarantine but never got sick.

2381 - 2400 of 2401 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.