The Goat Spot Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1310 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Nice score luvmyherd! I'm glad you won't have to go out any time soon! A few weeks ago, I told my husband instead of buying 3 of the little cheap 4 packs of toilet paper that we normally get, let's get the 12 pack of double rolls. That truly saved us, but now I wish I had bought 2-3 of them since at the time there was no shortages or limits, geez. I did go back and pick up 2 6 packs after the chaos started. I think my kids have 3 or 4 double rolls in their bathroom, and I have 4 or 5, then a 6 pack and a cheap/little 4 pack. So we are okay. But, I worry about running out, so I'll be randomly on the hunt for a couple of packages. If all fails I can possibly order on Amazon from Whole foods, but 2 6 packs with delivery would be like $20, ugh. I'm so cheap...that's crazy lol. If I have to I'll go that route...

My big worry right now is my uncle in Indiana. He mentioned having trouble finding stuff, so I've asked him what he needs and am hoping I might be able to help him, though he is 3 1/2 hours away, so I'd have to send it to him. I wish I knew when the best day/time was to go to the store to look for toilet paper. My niece works at Save a Lot so I may ask her what is the best time to come look for toilet paper and hope for the best. My uncle is older, single, has some health issues (not respiratory thankfully) and I worry about him going out. It doesn't help that he doesn't live in the best area.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm lucky in that I can work from home full time. Er, however, my kid's school has sent her home for me to teach full time as well. My work involves a lot of meetings (held through computer) so I can't really spread it out. I'm lucky to be employed when so many friends are losing their jobs. But juggling the mini farm, the job, and teaching is already getting stressful, and my kid's already bored.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
A few weeks ago, I told my husband instead of buying 3 of the little cheap 4 packs of toilet paper that we normally get, let's get the 12 pack of double rolls. That truly saved us, but now I wish I had bought 2-3 of them since at the time there was no shortages or limits, geez. I did go back and pick up 2 6 packs after the chaos started. I think my kids have 3 or 4 double rolls in their bathroom, and I have 4 or 5, then a 6 pack and a cheap/little 4 pack. So we are okay. But, I worry about running out...
With that many rolls on hand you should be good for quite a while... there's nothing wrong with the supply chain so I should think there will be plenty of paper products back on shelves before too long.

But juggling the mini farm, the job, and teaching is already getting stressful, and my kid's already bored.
I guess it's a good time to teach the kids how to entertain themselves. I was homeschooled and grew up rural but I never lacked for things to do. If anyone in our household ever complained about boredom, my dad immediately trotted out a list of chores we could be doing (usually it involved cutting and stacking firewood) so we were never bored! :) Are your kids old enough to take over a portion of your farm chores or do maintenance and repairs around your home? I remember wielding a pickaxe when I was about seven years old to dig a shallow trench around the borders of our (rather long) driveway. Then my younger brothers and I collected rocks--grapefruit size and bigger--to drop in the trench and create a driveway border. It took a couple of summers to complete but we got it done and that rock border is still there more than 30 years later. A more fun thing your kids could do is to each pick an animal to train and then put on a circus show in a few weeks. Training animals was my favorite thing to do as a kid and I never grew out of it. I started out training dogs and horses. I still like to train horses but now I train goats instead of dogs. :)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Oxford finally did a study about the exact thing I've been thinking--that the models being used to scare everyone are perhaps wildly inaccurate because this virus has likely been circulating longer than anyone is acknowledging.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/oxford-study-suggests-millions-people-221100162.html

Anecdotally, it seems like an awful lot of people with ILI (Influenza Like Illness) have tested negative for flu this year and until recently doctors shrugged them off as "just some bug" and sent patients home to wait it out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That's super interesting @Damfino !
:wow:
Also, I have a question anybody can feel free to answer.
Coronavirus is not a bacterial infection, right? So what good do anti-bacterial wipes do? :what::)
I understand wiping down tables and doorknobs is a good practice so there isn't anything wrong with it other than the mass-buying of wipes adds to panic.
I'm not great at science (I'm AWFUL at science. ;)) so I could be totally wrong. Feel free to correct me if I am. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Coronavirus is not a bacterial infection, right? So what good do anti-bacterial wipes do?
My daughter got a packet from her science teacher that actually had that in it!
It said
"Hand sanitizers and anti bactera wipes work because the alcohol in it disrupts the outer membrane layer of a virus"

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I don't know much about anti-bacterial wipes except that many contain alcohol or some form of chlorine, which also kill most viruses in addition to most bacterias. As for anti-bacterial hand soap, I've read that it is no different from any other kind of hand soap--ALL of them are "anti-bacterial" in that, by lathering, they help force bacteria out of the cracks and fissures in your skin. The "anti-bacterial" claims are not really valid because there is nothing in those hand soaps that actually kills bacteria. Washing even with plain (clean!) water is an excellent way to rid your hands of most harmful bacterias and is generally superior to cleaning with a blob of disinfectant hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
As for anti-bacterial hand soap, I've read that it is no different from any other kind of hand soap--ALL of them are "anti-bacterial"
I have also heard that, even on the news recently!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Personally, I've never been the biggest fan of hand sanitizer because it kills the good bacteria too..but I suppose so does every other soap.
I only use that when i dont have any soap and water around. I have also heard that, and nothing beats good ol' fashioned soap and water!
I am sure AN goat soap would work because it has lye in it. That is something i am not worried about running out of, because i have like 10 batches of 16 in my closet that are ready!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I only use that when i dont have any soap and water around. I have also heard that, and nothing beats good ol' fashioned soap and water!
I am sure AN goat soap would work because it has lye in it. That is something i am not worried about running out of, because i have like 10 batches of 16 in my closet that are ready!
Nice!(thumbup)
Sounds like you are ready to fight germs! :buttheads:
We have just recently started milking our goats now that we are trying to wean their babies and anything they step in becomes milk for soap. Let's just say I have a lot of milk waiting to become soap...silly goats...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I wonder how effective all-natural goat milk soap is.
Personally, I've never been the biggest fan of hand sanitizer because it kills the good bacteria too..but I suppose so does every other soap. I'm probably wrong though! ;)
Goat milk soap is as effective on your hands as any other soap. It's the lather that helps force bacteria out of the little cracks in your skin more than the chemicals in the soap (although lye and charcoal are both very good cleansers in their own right). Most soaps designed for hand washing have fewer harsh chemicals than other types of cleansers because you are right that we don't want to sterilize our skin every single time we wash. If we need absolutely sterile hands, that's what disposable gloves are for. The hand sanitizers do kill germs, but they also strip the oils which is why your hands feel dry and chapped if you use them too often. Too much soap and water washing can do this too, but I find it happens a lot quicker with sanitizers. Sanitizers are also less effective than soap and water at removing germs. They kill the germs they contact, but dirt and little cracks in your skin prevent the sanitizer from accessing all the germs, whereas flushing with water physically removes most of the dirt and rinses out those little cracks. Soap and water followed by a dollop of hand sanitizer is the most thorough cleanse.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I'm really, really irritated about the "pan-panic" fueled by lockdowns, isolation, and the threat of more lockdowns and isolation. I have never, in almost 15 years of living here, seen our little grocery store so PACKED with people every single day! Maybe the day before Thanksgiving, but that's ONE day in a year. This is EVERY day in a week! Because of the media-fueled panic over this virus, people ended up circulating a lot more than they ever would have done without the "stay at home" orders. It turns out all those strangers in our store were from Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Trinidad, etc. And it wasn't only our store. Stores in all the other little towns like Walsenburg and Westcliffe got raided and strip-mined by city people as well. I personally think the virus has already gone through our town, but if it hasn't and there really is something to fear from it, then these folks from the city are doing everything they can to spread this disease as far and wide as they possibly can. I know this wasn't the intention of the "powers that be" but they should realize the consequences of making people panic. It often has the exact opposite effect from the one intended.

·
8,067 Posts
I escaped the pandemic for about half hour last eve. One of my does had a baby. Sweet little Alpine X Saanen doe kid. She was born Mon. anyway, I sat in the pen with 30 does and the baby. She is learning to run, spin, back up and jump, all at the same time.
I'd forgotten how fun it is to just watch a new baby just be a baby. For that half hour (I never just sit and do nothing!) all that mattered was that baby and her acrobatics. Watching baby was way better than a nap, for sure!
:party::run:

261 - 280 of 1310 Posts