How are you guys handling the Coronavirus chaos?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    That one wasn't political. It was an employee with a bad temper who took it out on a baby goat. The employee was fired and the goat had bladder surgery and is doing well now and has a new buddy. You can read the story here:
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads...-i-have-some-serious-questions.212459/page-10

2. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas

Thank you!!

3. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, we have had it and are taking a trip!! BUT we are doing it responsibly. We will self quarantine for two weeks at home and in the RV. Then we will either be going to Michigan or Seattle depending. (In either case it will be to visit children and grandchildren and no one else.) The motor home is fully self-contained so we do not have to do anything except buy gas which can be done at the pump with a credit card and no contact. (The DH even wears gloves to pump the gas.)
    This means grocery shopping for 5 weeks of food and sundry items. Started today with Trader Joe's and the Grocery Outlet. Got some looks for the amount of stuff. Tomorrow we will hit WM to get enough for our son while we are gone. Then the total isolation will start. At least we have something to look forward to.
    I was pleased to see that the *Health Food Store* where we get our raw milk has decided to comply with the mask mandate. Up to now they have been stubborn.

4. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, the virus who must not be named has hit close to home. My mother-in-law has tested positive. Not too surprising as she is in a memory care home and they got their first case about 3 weeks ago. She has no symptoms so far and has been put in quarantine. We have not been able to see her since March. She is 95 and has dementia and has had two heart attacks in the past year. So there will be no curative care if it comes to that. We can only hope that if she has to die from this that it is quick and trauma free.
    She has been begging for the good lord to take her home so maybe it is time.

We are still taking a trip. Michigan is out and I really never had much hope for that. But my daughter in Seattle said that we could come if we quarantine for two weeks. Or plan is to drive up the California and Oregon coasts taking our time.
    But we all know about the best laid plans.....................
    My daughter has been sick for 12 days and her doctor has done a Covid test. We will not know the results until Monday. I may just lose it for good if she has it. She has 3 children and the thought of the whole family getting sick is too much for me. She has kept herself isolated in her bedroom. Prayers and any good thought welcome.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Prayers to you and your family. This is not a pretty virus. I am so sorry your mother in law is possitive. May God keep her safe.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Prayers to you all.

luvmyherd and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Prayers to you and yours!

luvmyherd and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh my goodness. Im sending prayers! So sorry for the illness attacking your family members.

luvmyherd and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Thank you all. Our daughter got her test results today and it was negative. Can't tell you what a relief that is. Do wonder how she picked up the funky virus she has since she has been home almost exclusively the whole time.

No new word on the MIL.

11. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    So happy she is negative. Did they say why she is sick? Just a summer cold (as I suspect)? Our little 2 yr old grandson was sick a couple of months ago and his Pediatrician did so many freaking tests, all came back negative and he said, "Honestly, you get so many false positives and false negatives from the flu test and the Corona test... the only one I trust is the strep test." I just stared at him. So who and what do we trust?!?!?!? I am beyond happy you are taking your trip. I wish we could take off but this is bee season and the virus doesn't affect our industry, as we work outside in the field and are only around each other and hives. God Speed and good luck! Have fun and stay safe!

12. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Well I heard there was a 30% fail rate with the corona test. Meaning we shut down the country based on a test that is only right 70% of the time....that's awful

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am so glad your daughter is negative. This virus is hard to recover from. It took me all of 21 days before I tested negative. My husband did not have that chance. I kept my girls and goats and animals at arms length because I won't risk their lives.
    I hope your in law recovers too. :-(

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Viruses are funny things... I'm guessing we all come in contact with many of these cold/flu family of bugs on a regular basis, but whether you actually get sick from them or not may be highly individual.

Skimmed two different articles today: One said Covid-19 antibodies only last 2-3 months and that this doesn't bode well for a working vaccine. The other said researchers are optimistic that an effective vaccine is on the horizon and early tests show promise. So much conflicting information floating around out there...

Even if antibodies don't last, I'm going to guess that this virus is similar to many others of its type and that our bodies will recognize it and be better at fighting off subsequent infections without triggering an overreaction by the immune system.

16. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I could go crazy with all the conflicting stories/reports. I do fear that my daughter could have gotten a false negative as her symptoms have been spot on and all they can come up with is crazy virus.
    On the other hand my MIL has remained symptom free and I wonder if she got a false positive.

My daughter is staying away from her kids and husband until her symptoms are gone. Her doctor has told her she is past the point of contagion but that is another, *how do they know that?* moment as guidelines change daily. This is so hard for her as she is a real huggy, touchy person. We have been spending more than an hour a day on the phone to help with her boredness.

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

If you do drive up the coast plan to drive straight through Lincoln county. It's a redzone. The smugglers are bringing the virus in with them. Avoid Portland, the riots are ongoing and involve a lot of fire.
    The coast is actually probably the safest route right now. The some of little towns won't sell supplies to out of towners, we're having a hard time getting grocery deliveries.

18. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Thanks for the heads up. We plan to travel fully stocked so all we will need is gas and possibly propane and fresh water. We are pretty good at conserving.
    We may do an about face and head east to Arkansas. My sister lives in a small town that is pretty safe. She said we could come if we do a 2-week quarantine. She has plenty of room for us to park the RV as well so we could social distance visit for the 1st week too.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, Coronavirus notwithstanding, we are heading out. We are going to share a house at Clearlake with our daughter's family for the weekend This is in lieu of the Disneyland trip we had planned this month. [​IMG]
    We will be staying in our RV and only sharing the outside deck and the fishing pier.
    Then we will be off to Arkansas to visit my sister. We do not know exactly how we will distance but we plan to see what we feel comfortable with. We're fine with staying in the RV and hanging in the yard by the pool.

20. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Stay safe @luvmyherd !
    So i have been looking at going back to school and the restrictions put in place look miserable. A lot of my classes are cancelled and online. The campus would be shut down so we would have to stay in our dorm. Depression on campus will be at a high. I am petitioning the school to let me take a gap semester. I found an internship in South Dakota at a deer farm. Praying they accept the petition. I couldn't survive the half semester online, no way I could do a whole semester with the risk of being sent back home at anytime
    Talking about what to do with my snowbird grandmother. Cant send her back to Florida so it looks like she will be staying with us until its safe. Moms going to have a hard time. Love my nana but she is a traditional housewife with strong views on how to keep a house. My mom is not that...
    Any tips to keep the piece?