How are you guys handling the Coronavirus chaos?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great news on the predators. About time.

I would love to hear your take on the whole corona virus thing. I have been researching but it is getting harder and harder to find truth and not government "truth."

2. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Coronavirus is just, well. A Coronavirus. This one is highly infectious with multiple severe side effects, many of which cause permanent damage. But there are many types of Coronavirus, and many of them are more or less harmless or just cause minor miseries. We were lucky for a long time, now we've got something that's good at replicating and has severe effects. It was bound to happen - the pandemic officer at my previous job was just waiting for one to occur because he was of the opinion it was likely soon.

I worked for the government for 10 years here, and now I work with medical vigilance, pharma and medicines - including large scale pharma companies. People are just people, even in large organisations. You can't get these guys to agree on a naming scheme for a description of an object, they're definitely not going to all agree on a conspiracy. The 'worst' would be the pharma companies, but not because there's a global conspiracy. Just because they want cash and they're greedy (IME). They'd quite happily destroy the pharma company next door if they could.

If I was in the US I'd say just look at the CDC guidelines (sorry, don't have a high degree of faith in the current governance, so I'd go direct to the source). The CDC have been world leaders historically in control and identification of infectious disease, to the point they were respected in many other countries. As long as they're still permitted to announce, whatever they say is probably correct.

3. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    My goats were always such a source of therapy for me. Nothing sooths my nerves more than a freshly cleaned barn. I could just go out and sit in the fresh straw.

Honesty! What a concept. I would give anything to actually be told the truth without the dramatics.

We have made landfall in Arkansas and are happy just to sit and talk with my sister and her husband. We cannot help but let conversations drift to Covid and/or politics but we limit it. Our evenings are spent with a glass of wine and a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Big Bang was a fun show. Sounds like you are having enjoyable evenings!

5. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Active Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    You sharing the wine? This girl needs a glass lol

6. Steampunked

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Well, I'm glad we went out to get hay as we're now on Stage 4 restrictions.

We can probably get hay/animal food delivered here, and they may add exemptions for people like me who are technically 'urban' but in farming land - our cities are very large and most people would have whatever they needed within 5kms (the new legal travel limit). It's just unusual edge cases like mine that it gets a bit awkward.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

We were lucky to fall into some hay that the goats LOVE and maintain their weight well.
    It is mixed rye grass, oat grass, pea, stinging nettles, a plethora of other weeds, and cottonwood tree fluff lol.
    It's not great for allergies but it is beautiful inside the sunburned bales. $2 a bale to get it out of his way. Cut last month but horse people don't want this second cut because the protein is too high. Resized_20200726_174820.jpeg

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Nice hay! Lucky you!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Lucky you!! We set up some portable electric fence!the goats haven’t really had a chance to use it yet, because we have to get some shade in there, either the trailer or a tent thing that may or may not work lol!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. Steampunked

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    God I'd love that hay. Recently hay here has been absolutely shocking - constant long seeds meaning two vet emergency trips for ulcerated eyes. My daughter couldn't sit on the bale without getting seeds stuck in her. I really, really would love that hay!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Steven Beckstead

Steven Beckstead New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Lower Lake, Ca
    $2 a bale!?!?! We’re do we get these prices???

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Active Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Does anyone have kids that are actually gonna be able to go to school soon?

Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    People wearing masks seems to be working, at least in my area. It’s not fun to wear them, but I’m in one 10 hrs a day and haven’t keeled over yet. Worse is having to wear the face shield too. My attending and residents are wearing N95s all day with a surgical mask over top since they’re going in Covid rooms. Two weeks ago we had the highest Covid census in the hospital since this all began. Since then, hospitalized cases have decreased and now were back to mid-late June levels. Fortunately, I’m not in a hard hit area (yet), but where I did my training is getting slammed. Several of my positive patients did die from Covid, but most going to the MICU have multiple comorbidities or are morbidly obese. This virus seems to be attacking all systems. One of my pts had Covid encephalopathy, some are losing renal fxn, throwing clots, viral cardiomyopathies. It’s not just pulmonary involvement.

The Lancet just published a paper about how healthcare workers have 3-4x the risk of contracting Covid, even when PPE is worn perfectly. Not excited about that finding...

luvmyherd and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    One of our school districts in southeast Texas started school yesterday. Others will start next week. About half of the districts are doing in person--like the one yesterday. The other half are doing at least 3 weeks of online only.

happybleats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  16. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I don't have kids and if I did I'd have been homeschooling them anyway. School here starts a couple of weeks late which gives us a nice extension on saddle club activities. They may end up doing remote learning for an extra couple of weeks on top of that so we may have even more saddle club time if that happens (yay!). There are so many things in life that are way more important than school anyway and I might be showing my anti-school prejudice, but I think almost any outdoor activity is more educational than sitting in a classroom.

I heard a rumor the other day and I'll have to ask around or buy this week's paper to find out if it actually happened, but apparently there was a big brouhaha at our local grocery store last week. A lady saw a couple of customers in there without masks and decided to take the law into her own hands. She drove her car up to the doorway and parked across it so no one could leave and then she called the police to report the maskless individuals. So basically she put everyone in the store under false arrest and created something of a hostage situation. If it's true it's hilarious but also pretty scary and I hope the cops throw the book at her for being an idiot.

Last week the sheriff did have to tell some other local to stop reporting mask-wearing rulebreakers. Apparently someone with nothing better to do was going around tattle-taling on places of business that weren't enforcing 100% compliance and was reporting them to the health department, expecting someone to come down here and start passing out fines or jail sentences I suppose. I guess they don't realize the sheriff and the health department have numerous far more important things to do right now than go after people for sneezing in aisle 3 or letting their mask droop below their nose.

Iluvlilly! and MidnightRavenFarm like this.
  17. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Damfino..have you thought of wearing a shield in place of a mask? I'm not sure if Colorado accepts that over mask..but may help your skin issue. They make them to attach to a cap too.. I grew up with acne break outs..zero fun!!

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  18. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Uh, yeah! (Especially that last sentence.)

My daughter home schools but also belongs to a *homeschooling co-op*. They get public funding so are part of the district meaning they have to follow all the same rules as the public schools. She was forbidden from having any contact with her students that did not meet the *guidelines*. They are all close families with such small classes that they could easily social distance.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Not allowed in Colorado unfortunately. I looked into it.

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.