How are you guys handling the Coronavirus chaos?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I would be willing to guess that a doctor's antibody count may go up for a long time after illness because their profession gives them constant exposure. The same cannot be said for everyone of course, so I would guess that for most people, if they are not regularly re-exposed, their antibody counts will eventually go down. This is normal and expected, but our bodies are designed to remember viruses to which we have been exposed and are able to launch an antibody response if exposed again. Even if reinfected, subsequent infections are usually much milder than the first--if they are symptomatic at all. I would not be surprised if many asymptomatic cases being discovered by current widespread testing are actually second infections happening in people who got sick last winter. There is no way to know this of course, but it's a plausible possibility. Some viruses do get worse with subsequent reinfections, but this is pretty rare and I don't believe it happens with any others in the family of coronaviruses except in isolated cases (there will always be outliers!).

luvmyherd, happybleats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I would also like to say to Nigerian dwarf goat that when I referred to your posted articles as "inaccurate fluff journalism" I do not by any means see that as a reflection on you! It is almost impossible to find any media these days that is NOT fluff. Almost every article is packed to the gills with "facts" that are cherry picked to reflect the author's preconceived opinion. It's something we are all guilty of, but it seems to me that professional journalists should be held to a higher standard. I applaud you for taking an interest in politics and world news. I don't know how old you are, but I gather that you are still school age. We all have to learn how to read between the lines and watch out for buzzwords and catchphrases that seem informative but fall apart when critically analyzed. Sometimes I find it helpful to look for a scientific paper to shed light on any statistical numbers that have been presented, or I'll read an article from an opposing viewpoint to try to get a more complete picture. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle and never nearly as sensational as the headlines. ;)

3. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello everyone! Quarantine for us is OVER yay!! Our symptoms never got really bad and I only ran fever for about an hour. It was the quarantine that nearly killed me! I mean I’m not the most social person, but I did miss my friends!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Damifino is correct in saying, expressing political views was deleted.

Politics can easily gets out of control, that is why we have rules on it.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    They recently opened the school for 4 days a week for in person learning. Closed on Wed for cleaning. One child was ill in 2nd grade. Turns out he had worn the same mask for weeks and was breathing in yuk from the mold etc on the mask! He is fine, but now the kids have to wear different colors to insure they are changing masks daily!
    If they wear paper ones, a small magic marker dot on them helps the teacher. Wow, this thing is never ending!

Our biggest challenges back in grammar school were if the cute boy liked us or not or who was best friends with who on any given day! :D

6. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Glad you're doing well. I missed that you were sick (I was AFK for a couple of weeks and didn't read back through everything I missed).

This article seems fairly on-topic. I'm glad someone is finally talking about the isolation problem!
    https://news.yahoo.com/hidden-covid-19-health-crisis-154512496.html

Iluvlilly! and happybleats like this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Have you seen the rules for Thanksgiving in California? o_O I almost laughed out loud. So ridiculous. Sorry if that offends anyone. I am just so tired of it all. I can understand someone wanting to be cautious but this is just over the top.

8. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    What are the rules?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    This was posted on FB. I should say I have not verified the source. I sure hope its a hoax, but if not....?

California's Rules For Your Thanksgiving Gathering

1. No more than 3 households, including your own. If you have 3 married kids, only two of them are allowed to come.
    2. Make a list of all attendees and their contact information in case the government wants it.
    3. May not be indoors.
    4. Your guests may go inside briefly to use the bathroom as long as you sanitize it frequently.
    5. Any shade structure must be open on at least 3 sides.
    6. Your chairs must be at least 6' apart.
    7. You must provide a hand washing or sanitizing station for your guests.
    8. You should only use single serving food. (No turkey or bowls of mash potatoes or cranberry salad.)
    9. If you must serve out of one dish, your guests may not help themselves.
    10. The designated person who is allowed to serve you must wash or sanitize their hands frequently and wear a face covering.
    11. Everyone must wear a face covering at all times, except briefly while you eat (but you must sit 6' apart while you eat), or if you need to use an inhaler or for other urgent medical needs.
    12. Keep the gathering to 2 hours or less.
    13. You should not sing or chant. Physical exertion is warned against.

You think I'm joking? Nope. This came directly from the California Department of Health website.

10. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    It’s true. And we can have 30 at a funeral so the joke is we all are having funerals for our pet turkeys lol

11. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, they are not mandates nor rules; they are guidelines. Yes, they sound extreme but are actually loosened.

12. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    Yes, but you aren't entitled to your own facts. And the facts say contrary to what the media says....
    If anyone would like to debate me, the CDC itself posted on their site that a huge percentage of the claimed covid deaths were cause from different things. Look it up.

13. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Can you Name 1 good thing about Covid or its rules? Just for fun....
    Mask = save $$$$$ on makeup & botox...
    Hides your wrinkles(rofl)

14. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    :heehee::clever:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  15. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I got to spend several months at home and enjoy my family. First time I've ever been off like that and without being on maternity leave. Loved the quality time we spent together as a family.

I agree on the makeup savings lol

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Good thing about the Covid- I don't have to make up excuses to avoid unwanted visitors to the goat barn. Social distancing, goats are sensitive to Covid, etc. (are they? The State says so!).

Why do people just assume that a working dairy is also a petting zoo? Rarely can I let anyone in to pet the goats. Too many biosecurity risks and disease risks in a normal year. This year is crazy!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Exactly!!! Why do people assume their wants desires are more important, than keeping your livestock safe? And if you tell people no they can not pet the big fluffy white dog, you are an *****.

occasionally we will let our gang up around the house, mainly when I need to clean out the barn, clear up downed trees. People will stop and want to pet them etc.

Because of my profession we are very cautious of people we do not know which goes for the livestock as well.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    You can have more for a protest...... hahahhaaha!

And. I am so on the fence about the norm big fifty people at our home for turkey day. :/. I think of my mama and our four month old grandson in this mess. It is SO hard. THEN! We already have bb turks in the freezer for sale and all 15 of the heritages we had fs are sold... those are still on the hoof yet. I SO pray those dang turks in my freezer sell!!! We have 75 meat gird that will need go in the freezer soon after turkey day. And i am stressin! I jave asked two friends that jave farm stands and failed turkey growin this year if they minded lettin their customers know that i have them for sale. They are wonderful freinds and said no prob. So hopefully word of mouth will send so e peoople my way.

20. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh gosh, one more positive came to mind. So we've always homeschooled our kids. I cannot tell you the number of times pre-COVID I've had to explain what we do, why we do it, explain that my kids are, in fact, socialized....it was endless questions and many times you feel judged (not that it really bothered me, I knew we were doing the right thing for our family).

Ever since COVID I'm not the oddball anymore! Nobody bats an eye when you say you homeschool. Not only that but people actually are asking me for advice. It's almost like some facets of my life are currently existing in an alternate universe lol